forum

Measuring Miss Time Window

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
apaajaboleh10
One of the question that you might ask after playing taiko for a while is how long are the time window for misses. While the game does not provide the exact number for that, however it provides the exact number for 300 and 100 time window.

TL;DR : After doing some measurements (literally with a ruler) and some calculations, here are the time window for missing a note based on the OD of the beatmap.

OD --- Time Window (+- ms)
0 ----- 134.5
1 ----- 126.5
2 ----- 118.5
3 ----- 110.5
4 ----- 102.5
5 ----- 94.5
6 ----- 89.5
7 ----- 84.5
8 ----- 79.5
9 ----- 74.5
10 ---- 69.5

Technical Aspect
To get that result, there are some assumptions which are made. The first assumption is that the time window for missing a note is the brown color of the error rate which is on the bottom part of the screen when you're playing taiko. So what I did was I created 11 custom difficulty of a random beatmap and edited the OD value of it from OD 0 to OD 10. Next, I scaled the error rate to maximum size from the option menu. Then, I had Auto to play those custom diffs and F12'ed on it, cropped the photo horizontally, print it, and measure the distance with a ruler. The second assumption is that the error rate on the game is scaled linearly, so I could extrapolate the measured result to get the miss time window. Here are the results of my measurements.

Spreadsheet

I measured them twice, where the first measurement was done from the vertical barline on the error rate to the edge of colors for 300, 100, and miss time window. The second measurement was done from the edge of colors to the other edge of colors.

From both of the calculated result, I made the third assumption. Since the displayed value of the time window is always in the form of some integers + 0.5, I rounded the calculated result to the nearest integers + 0.5, since there is NO reason at all for the developer of this game to put some ugly number for the miss time window. This means the value of the miss time window is a guess that I made.
Tedward765
Isn't the miss time window technically not a time window? I mean it is literally anything outside of the 100s time window which means it could be anywhere from the length of the entire song or the time until the next note.
flr

Tedward765 wrote:

Isn't the miss time window technically not a time window? I mean it is literally anything outside of the 100s time window which means it could be anywhere from the length of the entire song or the time until the next note.
Just to make things clear, the miss time window is the window that you have for the miss. When you ghost tap you are not missing the next note, you are outside the miss time window. When you hit the time window, you are missing the next note (that could be the note that just passed by the right place to press and you didn't press anything yet).