forum

How does the copyright system in Osu work?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jaackharm
I've come across many beatmaps with copyrighted songs, and I was just wondering how the copyright system works in Osu before I submit a beatmap.

Do I need a license or something like that to submit a beatmap with a copyrighted song?
Sophie Twilight
I don't think so, since there are lots of ranked Hitorigoto despite being copyrighted. However they might change the pitch of the singer like hitting puberty or removing the songs, only hitsounds are heard like in cpol videos or other streams hightlights such as krappe
Zelzatter Zero
You don't need to ask for license but I'd extremely recommend you to do. If you don't, either the GMT will PM you and remove the map (if unranked) or will be copystriked and make the map unavailable for download (if ranked) as far as I know.
qwt
the only songs I know that always get copyrighted are usually

IIDX/BMS songs so this is how it works

Konami will have a pussy tantrum and say "remove this song pls or else we will sue you for 50000$"

and GMT says ok ig and makes it unavailable for download, or removes map
DeletedUser_13957006

Reforms Expert wrote:

the only songs I know that always get copyrighted are usually IIDX/BMS songs
DJMAX songs as well. however, copyright strikes from IIDX/BMS maps were only happening (as far as i know) with maps prior to 2014. maps getting removed for that reason seem to be very uncommon nowadays
GPR
qwt

Blackeei wrote:

Reforms Expert wrote:

the only songs I know that always get copyrighted are usually IIDX/BMS songs
DJMAX songs as well. however, copyright strikes from IIDX/BMS maps were only happening (as far as i know) with maps prior to 2014. maps getting removed for that reason seem to be very uncommon nowadays
Oh yea forgot about ez2dj and DJ MAX songs rip
Ephemeral
you need to have the appropriate permissions/licenses for everything you upload.

all FA tracks (beatmaps/artists) are 100% okay to use for mapping without problems, these tracks are all licensed for use in osu! by default. anything else will require you to handle permission/licenses yourself.