forum

Highlight text with mouse (in chat and elsewhere)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +35
Topic Starter
kurufu
What's Wrong?
First off there is no way to copy anything said in chat currently unless you want to take a screen shot or try typing it out. However if the text contains characters from a different language that may be nearly impossible.
Secondly when chatting there is support for highlighting the message you are currently typing (if you use shift+arrow keys or ctrl+a) and this works fine but it DOESN'T work with the mouse. There are even other places that partially work with highlighting such as when naming a game room(both the "create new" screen and renaming an existing room) you can use this shift+arrow keys to "highlight" text to copy and paste (however the actual "highlight" doesn't show on the text so you have to kind of guess how much you have highlighted)

What I would like to see is
1) Have all the functionality of highlighting / selecting text in a message I'm typing available with the mouse.
2) Being able to highlight/select other people's text in chat so I can copy and paste easily (hopefully with my mouse)
3) Have all the functionality from making a chat message available when naming a room. (being able to see what I'm highlighting, and using my mouse)
4) Being able to highlight a game room name to copy it
(so being able to copy from here even if I'm not host)

Why I think other people want it.
Because it was mentioned in an accepted feature suggestion although not entirely implemented.
t/1564
And other people are talking about it but not creating a feature request for it!
p/2017576

Why I think this is possible.
Because we already have these features in the chat box for typing a message with keyboard support I think it should be nearly trivial to extend this to other text boxes like room names. And then it should be possible if not trivial to select things with the mouse.

Here is an example of what you can do keyboard only when typing a message
Winshley
To copy the text from chat box, type "/savelog" without quotes and go to osu!\Chat folder as workaround.

Everywhere else than that, I would agree tho.
peppy
If this was trivial it would already be implemented. It is on my bucket list though.
[Dellirium]
Use IRC.
Topic Starter
kurufu

peppy wrote:

If this was trivial it would already be implemented. It is on my bucket list though.
Unfortunate :(. But at least we can have this suggestion sitting around then.

[Dellirium] wrote:

Use IRC.
IRC does not connect to the #multiplayer room which is the most important one to me. (at least I couldnt /join #multiplayer when i tried right now.)
jemhuntr
but you could click buttons behind the chat if you click it. maybe disable it so this will be possible...?

i am so inactive on the forums T.T
loldcraft
My main use for it would be to copy paste non-romanised text into google translate, because i cant even type them in the first place thus the need for frequent copy pasteing.
AmaiHachimitsu
Bump.

Any news regarding this one feature?

I'd love to see this working in near future. Its benefits would be huge, seriously.
e.g. My friend types sth in Japanese and I happen not to understand this one Kanji he used. Then I must /savelog, go to the folder and copy the Kanji as to be able to get its meaning.

This is just the one main problem I get, but I think there're many more "little things" that would be made much easier with help of highlighting the text with mouse.
PyaKura

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

but you could click buttons behind the chat if you click it. maybe disable it so this will be possible...?

i am so inactive on the forums T.T
That has been fixed a few months ago (after this was posted) so it shouldn't interfere with a new highlighting feature.

Supporting, although it's already in ppy's todo list.
xasuma
Bump.

I want this. I need this. As people mentioned above, as diverse as osu is, having the ability to easily copy text in other languages is crucial for me at least.
And /savelog is not convenient enough for this purpose.

Peppy don't forget your bucket list. :)
- Marco -
^ i agree! :D
bump
i want it too
Topic Starter
kurufu
Damn I forgot all about this, but fwiw. This is still the case in lazer, though perhaps now it is possible if it' s still desired.