forum

How do map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Baepsae[PK]
I am looking to get into mapping and would love to get some guidance.

We are all aware of mappers, the people who make Osu the rythm game that it is today, and Many of us wonder how to become one of those mappers who change and make Osu the game it is tomorrow. So I am asking all mappers to give in their best tips and methods to making the maps (in all Osu modes) that make our game Osu. I hope this thread can help beginners like me find out and get comfortable with mapping quickly and effeciently.

OuO,
PotatoKitty
lewski
Map a lot and get feedback on your maps from other mappers.

Go into every map you make with the intent to learn something and improve as a mapper. Try something new or pay close attention to a weakness you're already aware of.

Don't get stuck on one map. You can think about any feedback you get when mapping your next map.

Don't feel like you need to finish every map you start. If you don't want to continue mapping something, leave it and move on to another song.

Looking at your old maps after a few years can be really fun. Try not to delete your maps, even if you think they're bad or embarrassing.

Play your maps. Try to map something you'd like to play.

Check who mapped the maps you like to play. Play their other maps. Play the maps they favourited. Keep doing this and you'll get lots of ideas to use in your own maps, as well as a library of fun maps to play.

Goals are cool, but you need to enjoy mapping before reaching them too. If long-term goals like getting your first ranked map are the only things that motivate you, you're unlikely to ever reach those goals.