forum

General guideline to strongly recommend crediting the creator of the map's background

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Izzywing
Bringing this back from a while ago.

I think as the game moves forward more of the content involved in maps that isn't made directly by the mapper (up until this point, just the song mostly) should be properly credited. In this case, I would like to open a discussion about strongly recommending mappers to credit the artist of their map's background (and in some cases, photographer)

The biggest concern I see popping up is where exactly this should be done. I believe the best place would be the beatmap's description. I know that formally the beatmap description has had no requirements in place for content other than no NSFW, but until there's an official field for it (something I have brough up on the github) I think this is the best alternative.

So, I suggest the following as a guideline in the general section of the ranking criteria -

rc wrote:

The creator of the mapset's background should be credited in the mapset's description, unless sourcing the creator is exceedingly difficult or the creator does not wish to be credited.
I think a brief line such as "BG credit - artist name" should suffice in most cases. The mapper can be free to link directly to the artist's page if they want, but I don't think this should be required as the source might be NSFW or something.

possible topics of discussion
- Wording of the guideline
- What does "unless sourcing the creator is exceedingly difficult" mean?
- Should BNs be expected to confirm the source when the art may be sourced from NSFW websites and not all BNs are 18+? Should BGs from NSFW sources be allowed at all?
- Should this be part of the general metadata process and be allowed to be kept in the modding page?
Nao Tomori
i agree should be in desc or even bg artist name in map tags if possible
not allowing bgs from nsfw sources is stupid cuz it bans every eroge song in existence
i think not dirctly linking to eroge sites is fine (like if the art is from the game you already have the source field...)
can be part of modding process

bad faith ppl who would edit desc ex post facto are dumb and not an argument against this!
honne
Sourcing used content in this game is a step towards making the game better from a quality standpoint.

Kinda worried the nsfw thing but just like we have warnings for suggestuve lyrics in map descriptions- we can have a warning for links that might be a gateway to that.

edit cus i didnt see nao reply:

Nao Tomori:
not allowing bgs from nsfw sources is stupid cuz it bans every eroge song in existence
i think not dirctly linking to eroge sites is fine (like if the art is from the game you already have the source field...)
Yeah, I also agree since it's best to leave source as like the title of a game or unspecified if it falls within this category of visual novels n stuff.
Smokeman
yes, should also promote the use of the best possible quality within ranking standards.
Karliah
Definitely agree to this, it seems strange that it isn't already a rule to begin with but, here we are.
abraker
agree
Revolver
my take

consistency from BNs please its not hard to credit artist like you credit yourself
ferret irl
osu! could do a lot of things better with credit and sourcing, and as osu! grows (even though it's pretty big already), there will be artists who will be pretty upset that their artwork is being used against their will to promote someone else's song in which ends up giving more publicity to the song artist than the background artist, a.k.a art theft. And I'm sure everyone here has heard the vocal opinions of visual artists about their artwork being stolen.

I'm in full support of any sort of ranking guideline or rule that helps mitigate art theft in osu!'s ranked section. Additionally, there should be further consideration in mandating proper permissions to use a background for a ranked map, such as a license that permits it or direct permission from the artist. Of course, this is impossible when the artist is a massive studio, but it's still a consideration.
-Keitaro
yea fully agree, over time osu will absolutely gets bigger and if the artist sees it, that would be saddening

Hobbes2 wrote:

Should BNs be expected to confirm the source when the art may be sourced from NSFW websites and not all BNs are 18+?
(psst metadata)
i think its not really a necessity but bns ofc need to check if the link is linked to like google image or something like that lol
pw384
Would it be too tedious to have BGs like beatmapsets/108661#osu/283968 saying "BG by Linkin Park" in CW, or beatmapsets/714671#osu/1625191 and having "BG by Microsoft"? Also I think there may be too many cases exempt from this guideline, but I'm not sure what is the best possible way
UberFazz
hard agree, even though it's technically not necessary i already do this on my own maps and push others to do the same
- Marco -
Totally agree with this, background artists should have recognition of their own work.
clayton
imo should scope this up to your intended goal:

Creators of media used in a beatmapset should be credited in the beatmapset's description.

why not? if you can credit a background artist you can credit any other artist too. if something is too difficult to credit or has any other reason to not be credited, cool, it's a guideline.
abraker

clayton wrote:

Creators of media used in a beatmapset should be credited in the beatmapset's description.

why not? if you can credit a background artist you can credit any other artist too. if something is too difficult to credit or has any other reason to not be credited, cool, it's a guideline.
Checklist:

1. Guest mappers - Mappers for guest difficulties
  2. SV mappers - Rare case, but if someone assisted in creating sv gimmicks
  3. Storyboarders - If storyboard was used, who storyboarded it. Also credits for all various artwork used in storyboard
  4. Hitsounders - If someone assisted in mapping hitsounds
  5. Keysounders - If someone made hitsound sfx
  6. Skinners - If map is using skin made by someone
  7. BG artist - of course
  8. Video producer - If your map uses video
Topic Starter
Izzywing

clayton wrote:

Tbh I’m down but I kept it approachable to make it more likely for this to move forward. I feel like people will panic at the prospect of crediting all 49 random images in their storyboard (even if they should keep track of their sources)
clayton
most of the ppl agreeing here are doing so on the basis that credits are good in general, not specifically for BGs. I'm lead to believe that it would increase in scope later for reasons that ppl are arguing Right now so might as well go for it. I don't think there's much in the way of moving this forward either cuz at worst it's just a guideline and it can be ignored with any decent reasoning

my proposal, add to General>Guidelines:

- Creators of media used in a beatmapset should be credited in the beatmapset's description. Credits do not need to be repeated in the description when present in other metadata.

second sentence to suggest that creators already appearing in artist, title, creator, diff names, etc don't need to be credited again in description

words
my english skillz r lacking how do u fix this problem where u can interpret sentence 2 ways

[Creators of media] used in a beatmapset (wrong)
Creators of [media used in a beatmapset] (GOod)
Ephemeral
it should be a rule, not a guideline. everything not immediately and obviously attributed via other beatmapset metadata should be linked back to its creators/contributors.

and i do mean everything

this has concurrent discussion over at the github issue for it btw: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/6908
abraker

clayton wrote:

my english skillz r lacking how do u fix this problem where u can interpret sentence 2 ways

[Creators of media] used in a beatmapset (wrong)
Creators of [media used in a beatmapset] (GOod)

"the"

- Creators of the media used in a beatmapset should be credited in the beatmapset's description. Credits do not need to be repeated in the description when present in other metadata.
Juuuuuuuuul
Maybe considering a Featured artists program for illustrators would be nice and useful.
robinn
nvm
show more