forum

What is the reason behind these slider designs?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Linck5
Hi, I have been playing this game for a while, and I still don't understand and I'm curious about why a lot of maps have these kinds of sliders:

This is from the map Overdrive 4.8* for example. It mixes smoothly curved sliders and smoothly curved "S" shaped sliders, with these kinds of sliders that have more sharp edges to them.

I'm wondering what is the reason behind these edges. Are they supposed give any specific different kind of feeling or something?
lewski
For those, it's just an aesthetic decision. A lot of the time the choice between these kinds of sliders and curved ones is pretty obviously related to what the song is doing, at least to me, but there are also lots of maps where I can't see any logic behind it.

Sometimes these corners are also used to create a certain kind of movement, but in those cases they tend to be a lot more extreme.
Topic Starter
Linck5
That's what I was thinking. Some of those sliders makes sense because there is more of a strong beat in the middle of the slider right on the corner spot, so it feels good if you can follow it. There is also a lot of them that the corner is not in the middle but more in the beginning or the end of the slider which often gives a nice feeling when it makes sense with the rhythm as well.

But very often I also see these sliders being placed seemingly randomly, without following the beat or anything, at least as far as I can tell.