forum

"feat." marker

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pishifat
Any form of `feat.`, `ft.`, `Ft.`, etc. must be written as `feat.` when it is used as a marker signifying an artist featured in the song.

consensus of beatmapsets/1294825/discussion/-/generalAll#/1978090 seems to be that the artist/title's all caps stylization would make "FEAT." more appropriate than "feat.", while the rc says otherwise

what do you think? should the rc be changed to accomodate for this?
radar
i was always under the impression that these werent case sensitive if stylization called for otherwise, guess i didnt read that it listed "ft." and "Ft." separately though.

i think its perfectly acceptable to allow any capitalization of "feat." if an official source lists it as "FEAT." "Feat." ect, though it should always been defaulted to "feat." if no official source has the same spelling
enneya
agree with radar
Nao Tomori
yes
Izzywing
what radar said

can also be extrapolated if the official source use "Feat" or "FEAT" without the period that you can probably also use "Feat." and "FEAT." in those instances

If the official sources uses FT. (the blood code map didn't do this but say it did for example) you should also be allowed to use FEAT. in that instance if the rest of the song title is also all caps to match it aesthetically.

can also see something like "Artist - Song Title FT. Artist2" being stylized as "Artist - Song Title Feat. Artist2" but idk how far we're gonna take this lol

all of this is basically common sense
Nokashi
I share the same thoughts as hobbes, so recursively i also share the same thoughts as radar !

Overall, I would either want to see FEAT. or feat. in the artist name, after that we should use common sense as to which one should be used in every singular case (be it aesthetic case mathching, FT. -> FEAT. etc etc.)
pw384
What about the case when the song title is written in 1337, for example, "s0M3 C00L T!t13 F7. 5OmE c0013R aR7!5T"?
enneya
also i think itd be cool to extend this to other markers like (cut ver.), (sped up ver.) and whatnot
Topic Starter
pishifat

pw384 wrote:

What about the case when the song title is written in 1337, for example, "s0M3 C00L T!t13 F7. 5OmE c0013R aR7!5T"?
best to consider these edge cases for when they actually happen

https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/4625 anyone have issue with this?
Noffy
I feel like the current wording makes it confusing what the standardization rule is even for then in some cases. Maybe be more explicit that they can be FEAT. or VS. if the fields are all capitalized.
clayton

Noffy wrote:

Maybe be more explicit that they can be FEAT. or VS. if the fields are all capitalized.
"Alternative casing may be used to match the rest of the field." -- idk how to be more clear than that o_O
Noffy
Well like the way it's written makes it sound like if the field uses Title Case then Feat should as well but nearly everything is title case so the lowercase feat would never be used which isn't how it's typically formatted and would be a way bigger change from how it's currently done >_<
clayton
in title case I think most people would lowercase "feat." as if it were a preposition but it's not an exact science anyway cuz English. the capitalisation part does say "may", so at least peppy's merge (my fault for not marking as blocked) can't produce unwanted results

I don't think ur concern is wrong but I'm not sure it's possible to write it in properly, since differentiating between title case and pascal-case-with-spaces is a notwordsable thing... and probably changes whether you'd wanna write "feat." or "Feat."
Mizunashi Akari
not sure if this has been asked but are beatmap searches case sensitive

if they arent then capitalization should be used to the mappers discretion to fit the style of the song probably
lewski
i dont think they are ive never had to capitalise anything to find what im looking for
Dialect

pishifat wrote:

pw384 wrote:

best to consider these edge cases for when they actually happen

https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/4625 anyone have issue with this?
imo i feel like with songs written in leet language, you should just stick with "feat."

but would these "edge cases" also extend to songs like JUSTadICE (let's say theoretically this extends to title tags list cut ver.) where the part of the title is capitalized? so for example:

JUSTadICE (CUt veR.)
PaRaDogi
Who is this feat guy he is in every song
Noffy
Archived since this was concluded a while ago just never moved
clayton
is this still an issue community/forums/posts/7817481 ?