forum

Nicknames

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
StrawHat56
Can we nickname our friends and the nickname that you've chosen be optional that it shows up on chat,but also there should be a button that either removes the nickname and shows their real username =w=
Oinari-sama
Personally I don't see much use for the nicknames. It will probably have to do more to be worth the effort.

Why don't we consider a battle.net style "Add Friend Note" feature? Users can add comments to their friends (via user menu) and have it displayed when you hover cursor over the note icon.

This is what I had in mind (sorry for the poor quality 2min illustration):

The comments should be limited to roughly 150 characters (sms length) so the comment box can "grow" downwards and occupy the height of the user panel is need be.
theowest
or maybe when you hover over on their panel, the username will change to the nickname you've set for them. Some users have very long names.
Kuroneko-sHerald
<--

theowest wrote:

Some users have very long names.
Do you have something against long nicknames? lol
theowest
Did I say I have something against them? No. I proposed a different but related idea to Oinari-sama's.

theowest wrote:

or maybe when you hover over on their panel, the username will change to the nickname you've set for them. Some users have very long names.
Kuroneko-sHerald

theowest wrote:

Did I say I have something against them? No. I proposed a different but related idea to Oinari-sama's.

theowest wrote:

Was just joking.
theowest
How were I supposed to tell.. :v
Kuroneko-sHerald

theowest wrote:

How were I supposed to tell.. :v
Maybe by the "lol" at the end of the phrase. (ok, probably it wasn't so clear :\ )

Btw, I think that this colud be useful for people that as nicknames like "a238457867805" or similar.
TheVileOne
I don't like the idea of strangers being able to change my name on their end at will. There's a lot of potential for abuse.
loldcraft
Commenting about a user is gonna end up in much much more work to do for the mods. probably needs a "approve comment about me" button.
Tshemmp

TheVileOne wrote:

I don't like the idea of strangers being able to change my name on their end at will. There's a lot of potential for abuse.
Sorry, can you give an example for abusing this? I can't think of anyone.

loldcraft wrote:

Commenting about a user is gonna end up in much much more work to do for the mods. probably needs a "approve comment about me" button.
If I got this request right you will be able to add a personal comment/name to each player, noone else will ever see it (like in Steam).
Kuroneko-sHerald

Tshemmp wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

Sorry, can you give an example for abusing this? I can't think of anyone.
You can rename people you don't like using words like idiot or douchebag for example.
Tshemmp

Kuroneko-sHerald wrote:

You can rename people you don't like using words like idiot or douchebag for example.
And? Nobody except you will see this.
Kuroneko-sHerald

Tshemmp wrote:

And some people, like TheVileOne, don't like that thing (if I get his thoughts right).
Tshemmp

Kuroneko-sHerald wrote:

Tshemmp wrote:

And some people, like TheVileOne, don't like that thing (if I get his thoughts right).
But why? Why would you dislike something you never find out about anyway? This makes no sense.
theowest
I can't imagine seeing this implemented in the future of osu! Something like this is more suitable for services like steam, with their unlimited name changes and community freedom.
osu! is far too content creation based to become anything like that. You have a reputation, songs to play and map, a lot more users around you, you don't necessarily have to be friends with. We're just one gaming community.

Here's an idea, only allow nicknames if the relationship is mutual.
deadbeat

theowest wrote:

Here's an idea, only allow nicknames if the relationship is mutual.
but then i wouldn't be able to nickname all the BAT's as BAT that could work. but still don't think it's overly needed
Kitokofox
My idea, is that when you hover over the panel, it will bring up the tooltip box (Like when you hover over a score, a mod, ect) That will have your note displayed in there. The original name stays where it is, because osu! is a multiplayer competitive game, and therefore identity must be kept consistent as possible.