forum

why mapping 1/8 streams suddenly is a thing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lyawi
I'm not really a standard mapper (I used to map it but it wasn't for me).
I'm now a taiko mapper and we like to use 1/6 patterns from time to time. We don't have reversed sliders or something. For some double patterns, we do like to use 1/8 then!

Now, in standard mapping you can simply use 1/8 reversed sliders to do crazy things. But people suddenly started mapping 1/8 streams which is weird to me. It is playable but very exhausting... Kind of the reason why WE, in taiko mapping, use 1/6 instead. Maybe you won't believe but 1/8 actually would be weird to use (except it's really low bpm).
Zelzatter Zero
Who said we map 1/8 streams anyway? 1/4 is considered okay for high BPM.

Where and how did you get those "fact" that std maps have 1/8 streams? Unless it's low BPM then that's a big no-no when mapping something within playable area.
Topic Starter
Lyawi
beatmapsets/1181999#osu/2464402

there was another map but they changed the 1/8 patterns after we talked about that topic (this one beatmapsets/1286496#osu/2671118)

don't get me wrong I love these two, but I'm really just confused as it's getting a thing now
Zelzatter Zero
the first one is 110bpm, the second one is a tad faster, about 150bpm, both are really slow so I don't think it should be applied (fyi the line between the song being slow or fast is around 174bpm)
TheKingHenry
I wouldn't say it's "suddenly a thing", but I could totally see general allowance for these kind of things (and plenty of other things) increasing as time passes by - and especially as player's demonstrated capabilities increase. Now of course something really retarded is still frowned upon - like what Zelzatter mentioned, but many things "perfectly normal" these days were really not so much so as you go back in time a bit

Without looking at the sets themselves, 1/8 at 110 bpm is nothing out of ordinary. On the other hand, while 1/8 at 150bpm is not unheard of either, on map of this difficulty level it feels a bit quite sketchy - which is why it seems to have been pointed out already in the thread anyways

So all in all, I'm not personally seeing any sudden changes, just consistent increase in acceptance of "more extreme" in many forms. Have to mention though that really popular and/or controversial maps (just maps in general gaining lots of traction) do unusual or extreme things, I guess there could be "more sudden" increases in usage afterwards, but that's pretty natural after all
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
If it's suddenly a thing, it's already too late. Always stay ahead of time and map 1/16 streams
Topic Starter
Lyawi
But why not using 1/6 instead? Please try it out. It doesn't feel out of place or anything and it really is fine.
qwt

Lyawi wrote:

But why not using 1/6 instead? Please try it out. It doesn't feel out of place or anything and it really is fine.
well there's a diffrence from taiko and std

in taiko that would be ok as its improvising or overmapping In STD espiecally if the song is not 1/3, 1/6 wouldn't work
- Marco -

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

If it's suddenly a thing, it's already too late. Always stay ahead of time and map 1/16 streams
Jokes on you i already map 1/32 streams
chowch
surprised no one mentioned k.o.k.o.r.o

don't really see anything wrong with 1/8 streams as long as they're well implemented
TheKingHenry

Lyawi wrote:

I don't know how taiko works with this, but generally in std if you do this someone will flip at you - at the very least I will if I see it. Mixing rhythms that do not sync with each other is not recommendable, so 1/6 vs. 1/8 for example. If you'd like to avoid the 1/8, just use 1/4 and it syncs, and so on
WitherMite
as a player, 1/8 streams used correctly just feel like 1/4th streams, but a 1/6th stream when it doesn't fit with the music (even sometimes when it does fit, if you havent seen the comment section of some beatmaps.) is just confusing.