forum

[Guide] How to create 'practice' difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Seijiro
As it is fairly common for people to ask how to 'cut' just a part of a map they want to practice on, I thought it would be good to have a quick reference somewhere to make it both faster to reply and easier to understand.

To create such a map it is advised to create a new difficulty instead of directly cutting parts from the ranked one.

Steps:

1) Open the editor
2) Open the difficulty you want to cut
3) From the menu at the top select File > Create a new difficulty

4) You will get prompted with the Song Setup afterwards. What you need to fill out is just the 'Difficulty' field, while everything else has to be left as is to avoid inconsistencies with the other difficulties in the set

4.1) If you want to change some settings for your practice diff, now is a good time (but it can be done later).
Let's say you want a smaller Circle Size or a harsher Overall Difficulty to mimic high end difficulties: all you have to do is navigate to the 'Difficulty' tab and move the respective sliders around

5) Press 'OK' once you're done with the settings
6) Since what we're doing here is literally 'copying' a difficulty, the game will ask you whether you want to keep all the old objects for your new difficulty or not. You will have to choose 'No' here, of course.

7) What's left to do is just selecting every object you don't want in your practice difficulty and delete it.
The bindings you might need to do this are mainly:
  1. CTRL + A (select everything)
  2. CTRL + LEFT CLICK (select/deselect)
  3. CANC/DEL (delete)
Since this is the most tedious step, here are a few tips on how to do it faster:
  1. most of the times you will need just one part of the map, so it's better to select everything first and then manually deselect all the objects you want to keep in your difficulty
  2. if you need to select various sections of the map, it's best to do so by selecting objects on the timeline at the top of the screen:
    spoiler

by left clicking and dragging on the timeline you can quickly select huge portions of the map: the further you drag your cursor to the left/right, the faster the selection.
    Be careful though, since this method can actually select everything in the map in less than a second if you drag your cursor all the way to the left/right.
  3. in some cases you might want to train yourself on a specific pattern over and over again, but you don't want to spam the retry button while in gameplay. In this cases it's best to just duplicate the pattern you want a few times:
    spoiler
    - Select the pattern

- Press CTRL + D
    - Select the new duplicated pattern and move it around
8) Once you're done, press CTRL + S (save) and enjoy your practice map!
Just keep in mind you cannot upload this map on osu!'s site, so it will be just for you to practice on.

If you feel like there can be something else in this guide feel free to let me know.
Lay
This is super helpful and amazing!
Thanks for taking the time to compile this ♥
Trigonoculus
I'm sure this will be a useful guide to refer to, thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Uniform
why in mapping discussion?
Petal

Uniform wrote:

For feedback?
Uniform

Petal wrote:

Uniform wrote:

For feedback?
i don't understand
Asphiee

Uniform wrote:

Petal wrote:

Uniform wrote:

For feedback?
i don't understand
For newbies
Uniform

Asphyre wrote:

Uniform wrote:

Petal wrote:

Uniform wrote:

For feedback?
i don't understand
For newbies
wouldn't it go better in gameplay & rankings?
DeletedUser_5153421
im suprised you didn't mention the keyboard shortcuts while cutting a difficulty down

z = go to first hitobject
x = play from the very beggining
c = play/stop
v = go to last hitobject (and v again is go to very end)

you can click and drag to where you want to cut and press Z/V correspondingly to skip all the way to the beggining or end so you don't have to drag all the way and wait.

and make sure to mention when u click a new difficulty you do not clear the objects, just to make it full-proof.