forum

[Proposal] Definition of nightcore and use of nightcore marker

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
"If a song has been edited to have a higher tempo, use a (Sped Up Ver.) marker at the end of the current title. If there is an existing sped up version marker in the title, replace it with (Sped Up Ver.). Sped up songs in Techno, Trance, Dance, or other similar genres must use a (Nightcore Mix) marker instead."

I understand that nightcore has it's roots in EDM/trance/techno music stemming from the two Norwegian DJs who popularized the genre in the early 2000's, but the combination of the tempo + pitch increase is what I and many others would consider the identifying aspect of nightcore as a genre, not simply just the tempo change.

I apologize for the unscholarly source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightcore

"A nightcore edit is a cover track that speeds up the pitch and time of its source material by 10–30%."

Songs like this, this, this etc, are widely considered as nightcore songs due to defining pitch increase, with each respective mapper and nominators acknowledging this fact and including "nightcore" in tags for searchability, but are disallowed from using the "Nightcore Ver." marker because they don't constitute as EDM/trance/dance.

Although I couldn't find any concrete examples, this definition would technically require any EDM/trance/dance
music with any sort of tempo increase, regardless of whether the pitch was altered, to wear the "Nightcore Ver." tag despite not being considered nightcore by the general population.

Current definition on the ranking criteria for what is considered nightcore seems a bit misleading and incomplete, as a nightcore mix isn't defined solely by the genre.

I feel just removing the "Sped up songs in Techno, Trance, Dance, or other similar genres must use a (Nightcore Mix) marker instead." statement and replacing it with something more along the lines of "Sped up songs that also had their pitch increased must use a (Nightcore Mix) marker instead." would help better represent songs that are traditionally considered nightcore.

I could just have a misconstrued understanding of what the nightcore signifies to others, but from my point of view this rule feels like it should be altered.
Dialect
i agree

(Sped Up Ver.) implies that it's not pitched up, like this map, but in most cases, it's also pitched up
abraker
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
I even looked to see if anyone brought this up before but didn't see anything smh
clayton
well I've still got the same opinion as back then. labeling something "nightcore" when it's just sped up seems misleading.
riffy
Just keep in mind that there are also subgenres like Nightstep or Night(t)rap. That are also techno-ish songs that should theoretically be considered nightcore deviations.

beatmapsets/1204367/discussion/-/generalAll#/1945956

here's what I thought of
(Sped Up Ver.) - speed increase, just that
(Nightcore Mix) - pitch increase + sped up
(Nightstep Mix), (Daycore Mix), (Nighttrap Mix) and such markers - pitch+speed changes, when the author of the remix claims the song as not nightcore. tho nightcore should still be present in the tags

If a song has been edited to have a higher tempo, use a (Sped Up Ver.) marker at the end of the current title. Sped up songs that also had their pitch increased must use a (Nightcore Mix) marker instead, unless original remixer provides a subgenre alternative like (Nightstep Mix) or (Nighttrap Mix). Then such markers should be used and Nightcore must be added to the tags.
Shmiklak
honestly, I believe we don't need a lot of markers just to show the song was edited to have a higher tempo and pitch. Let's just stick at (Sped Up Ver.) for song with edited tempo, yet the same pitch, and (Nightcore Mix) for songs where both properties were edited.

We might also want to add (Daycore Mix) even tho it isn't a very popular technique, yet could be used someday.
Andrea
I completely agree with what riffy posted, I think it would be the most complete and detailed way to describe each mix or sped up.

If that can't really be applied for some reason, then also Shmiklak's proposal makes sense.
Serizawa Haruki
I thought Nightcore depends on the genre and not on whether there is a pitch change or not, at least that's what has been discussed in the previous thread. Either way I can agree with using Nightcore Mix regardless of genre since it's usually labeled as such on YouTube etc. but stuff like Nightstep just feels too specific and goes against standardization.
riffy
Well, there are instances when something just does not feel like Nightcore anymore, yet it's still kinda nightcore-ish. So, I'm for giving a general outline/standard and managing the rest on case by case basis. Basically what I explained above :)
Noffy
mmm

I feel like the current way is pretty clear cut and it's based off how sped up vs. nightcore was defined in unwritten rules for several years beforehand, so that's how it's been for a while. There's also the fact that using pitch as a distinguishing factor is really weird to me - song pitch increasing is a natural result of speeding it up, as the sound waves are being made shorter -> upping the pitch. Other methods where the pitch sounds the same had corrective pitching applied to them in the process. Adding a lot of additional markers just feels messy as well.
Andrea
Then I suppose it would make sense to just label Nightcore Mix only the remixes which are originating from Techno/Trance/Dance songs while using Sped Up for the other kind of genres? If we're going to stick up with that then Dubstep/Pop/Rock or any other genre will fall into Sped Up labeling for metadata then.
riffy
The problem is that genre definitions are so vague, even Skrillex is considered EDM which is literally Electonic Dance Music.

Meanwhile, Igorrr is also techno, so is the breakcore genre. So, Igorrr - Tendon (Nightcore Mix)? I'd still expect some deviations to be allowed, maybe for specific cases or something like that.
clayton
anything more than "sped up"/"nightcore mix" is a no from me, this is already more verbose than necessary imo

I'd support any of these option:

1. current rule, bc what Noffy said
  2. OP's suggestion, bc associating "nightcore" with sped up and pitched up is already common, especially in osu! via the nightcore mod's effects
  3. removing "Nightcore Mix" entirely, bc the difference between that and "Sped Up" isn't really important, plus the pitch change is sometimes inferred just from the fact that it's sped up like Noffy said
pishifat
of the above options, i'd stick with the current rule. nightcore is an osu! staple at this point so removing it would feel sucky imo, but also trying to define it with more specifics is overkill because there's no clear line to be drawn
Hectic
"Sped Up Ver." - tempo increase, same pitch as original
"Nightcore Mix" - tempo+pitch increase

"Nightcore" isn't really what defined by genre of the source as currently RC implies (for example, there are plenty of popular "nightcore mixes" of rock songs) but rather by what was done to the song. I think most people would agree that having "Nightcore Mix" tag for sped up EDM track with untouched pitch is unreasonable
LeomineXD
Based on Beatmap (Live For The Night), in first way it's put "Nightstep Mix" for due to the fact that their source was still irrelevant, Now with the problem of "Nightcore Mix" it's must confused for fact that...

If a song with a vocal and strumental thay have a sound higher It's called "Speed ​​Up Mix" i don't agree, but basing also on Metadata, if it's writed "Nightcore" then there must be Nightcore, if only vocal it's higher, then it's just "Speed Up".

what i consider on maps Nightcore/Step/Speed Up, is that it must have minimum the Metadata that confirm the title in parenthesis.
-White
Personally I think that Nightcore should only refer to stuff that's also has a higher pitch, as that's the common understanding. Even if eliminating the pitch shift requires corrective pitching (i.e. isn't natural), it's irrelevant since nightcore requires the higher pitch to be nightcore. Just being a faster song isn't nightcore.

The fix is simple. Change the RC to say that Sped up can refer to any genre of music that's been sped up but doesn't have a pitch shift, and nightcore can refer to any (Since you can nightcore any song, it's not limited to techno/etc as the RC suggests) genre of music that's been sped up AND has a higher pitch.

IMO that's all that needs to change. There's a very clear line between nightcore and non-nightcore, and that's the pitch shift, hence why that should be the only distinguishing factor between sped up and nightcore. Genre shouldn't be a factor.

So basically, I fully agree with h3ct1c and Shmiklak.
M i X
What -White said

The rc is outdated in this regard, considering the majority of people think of Nightcore as speed up + pitch shift, which is recognizably different from normal Sped Up songs

Hey, we can run a poll for this to check what's the common consensus
Delta Vee
Just like I swing either direction, I literally do not care which direction this goes and would be ok with either.
show more