forum

Current Hitsound System: What Can Be Supplemented?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
LKs
Maybe many mappers have found that the current hitsound system is not very "easy-to-use", although it's already undoubtedly well-designed and it can reach most of our needs while designing&setting hitsound.

Have you ever been confused while you have a brillaint idea in your mind but don't know what should you do to make it comes ture?
Have you ever found it's way time-wasting to set up hundreds of inherited sections just for consistently switching from SC1 to NC1?
While playing with DT, or playing at 25% speed in the editor, don't you think hitsound files arn't been stretched to follow the regulated speed songs?

Yes, since osu!mania has been there for months. A predictable future is that mappers will become more and more professional on hitsound. Their demands to the system naturally increase.

Here are some functions considered useful after a small-scale discussion by a bunch of mappers. Maybe they're impossible to be supplemented in short time(or never), but we still want to post in here since these functions can definitely solve some problems and magnificently improve efficiency. All people feel free to leave your opinions here. Keep in mind all posts should be related to hitsound system. Also all requests on the following topics open to discuss.

Pop-up controller/import for single note

How does it look like
This has been being designed as far as I know, but it needs to contain more functions.
Because it has been too much a pain when it comes to, for exmaple one of my maps like this. In this map I took hours to set up inherited sections, it'd be much more time-saving if I can controll single note's volume and it's tone.

I'd suggest making some particular control items some spin buttons, which would be more convenient to use.

Allow mappers to control volume/pan of finish, clap and whistle severally.

You turn down a note's volume by setting up a new section. But how if you only want to decrese clap's, or whistle's volume?

There should be a pop-up windows/control item that can let mappers to directly control hitsound files on a note severally.

Allow more hitsound files work in one group

I mean, currently if you want to use SC2(soft-xxxx2), you may rename your custom hitsound as:

soft-hitnormal2
soft-hitclap2
soft-hitwhistle2
soft-hitfinish2
soft-hitsliderslide2
soft-sliderwhistle2
(the last two are not frequently used)

but only these are not enough. because you always want to make it several patterns like:

Hitsound A, B ,C or A, B, D for a certain music period. You will found you can not let all of the 4 sound without naming clapB as soft-clap3 and set up new inherited sections.
Unfortunately these cases are not rare to see. Thus it'd be much better if it's allowed to use soft-hitadditionA2, soft-hitadditionB2.......

Add the ability to control pan

What is pan? Pan is a control item that defines whether the music sound from your left or right ear.
Pan is really commonly used in music composing. You can refer to this map made by sandpig.

It can easily provide amazing effect, but now maps with this effest are rare since mappers can not achieve the effect without composing in audio processing softwares. And that's way complex.

Do not stop playing my hitsound while switching sections

Go look up to this map made by me. I used custom(not muted) sliderslide sound, but if I set two sections too close. The sound won't play its whole length but get suddenly switched off where the next section starts to work.

This also happened to -sliderwhistle if I remember correctly. So It'd be much better If we don't need to worry about this anymore.

Strengthen the preview function

For now mappers can preview single note's particular hitsound in the editor. But actually mappers don't put hitsound separatedly. Therefore, mappers would benefit from a function that they can mingles hitsound files in the folder and preview them freely.

DT mod is the natural enemy of long hitsound&loop hitsound

A piano hitsound I used in my map

Either you are playing with DT mod, or watching at 25% speed in the editor. You'd find that any long hitsound or hitsound contains 1+ audiable music elements sound like hell. The reason is that when the song play at 1.5X or 25% speed, the hitsound itself isn't stretched to fit the song.

So a automatic automatic regulating system would be awesome, which can automatically regulate hitsounds to let them always work well alone with no matter songs that stretched in what degree.

--------------------

That's all for now. Don't mind my poor gammar and vocabulary(correct me if you find anything wrong).
theowest
Amazing request, full support from me.

a separate section for hitsounds would also be cool to have t/88801
marks_liuming
李嘉诚不弄个中文版? :o
jemhuntr
support. although I'd prefer having sliders instead of spin buttons. I usually find it hard to make two spin buttons equal. also, the "Do not stop playing my hitsound while switching sections" thing sounds more like an issue to me.
Stefan
Such a perfect Request and Idea. Support to 100%
PROGUY
Support. Also...

LKs wrote:

Current Hitdound System: What Can Be Supplemented?
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
LKs so pro

support the idea wwwww