forum

Scroll Speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Radiating_Solok
Is it good to keep increasing scroll speed beyond what I feel like is comfortable?

For me, when I start to get decent accuracy ( such as 97 and above ) I tend to increase my scroll speed to until my accuracy changes to 93-95% . Been doing this since 2* (when I discovered Scroll Speed, starting 15 SS) and now I'm at 31. Currently I am thinking about changing it to 33 even though my accuracy will die to 90-93% or so.

Am doing this until I possibly hit my limit or 35-40
Is this a bad thing to do? I feel like I get better after I learn to read the specified scroll speed as reading maps become easier as there's space to read.

current scroll speed: 31
current star rating I do: 4.6 and above with S ranks here and there and many fail scores
most comfortable star rating: 4.45 and below with many S and near FC's on some maps
mufugai
you dont have to use higher scroll speed, a lot of good players use lower scroll speed than you.
just use whatever scroll speed is the most comfortable for you and if later on you feel like you want faster scroll speed change it then.
ICanNotDoSlider
Just stick to one. I'd experiment with using 40 then lowering it.

If you stick with a lower scroll speed, you'll get used to the lower space.
RayRaivern
Increasing scroll speed actually helps in a few stuffs.
I used to play with a scroll speed of 28 before, but after I changed to a scroll speed to 31 (little by little like you did I changed to 30 first then to 31) my MA (ratio between 300 and r300) became a whole lot better and some dense maps became much easier to read.

I remember when I used to play Deemo I increased scroll speed as I improved and that's what helped me FC higher stars.

If you think you can adapt yourself to play at a higher scroll speed then I'd say go for it; and if you think you hit your scroll speed limit and can't do anything higher properly then keep playing and improve yourself at the current scroll speed because scroll speed should not be a limiting factor after 30 afaik.
Lights
Bigger isnt always better with scroll speeds. Its hard to accurately read patterns when you struggle to keep up with the speed. If youre getting low 90s scores, thats a good indication you went too high
[LS]PositoniX
if your accuracy is going down by increasing your scroll speed, don't keep increasing it. you should only change it if you're hitting significantly early/late
Bobbias
Scroll speed is about tradeoffs. Higher speeds mean that notes are visually less dense, because they are more spread out. But it also means you have less time to read and react to what you are seeing.

Lower scroll speeds require you to remember the upcoming notes for a longer time, and require you to be able to read denser collections of notes, but require less reaction speed, because you have more time between when you see them and when you must hit them.

Lower speeds also do not suffer from the note doubling effect that you see at higher speeds. This effect has 2 main causes: slow pixel response times on monitors, and persistence of vision. Persistence of vision is the effect where whe we see light, when the light disappears, we can still see it. It takes times for our eyes to realize the light has disappeared.

Everyone has different reaction times, reading speed, and such, so scroll speed is personal preference. My preferred speed was somewhere around 28 after I worked my way up. Now, because I play flashlight full time, I use 14.