forum

[proposal] cut version, tv size, and full version should be considered different songs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dialect
for context, i'm refering to the rule about not having more than 1 qualified map of the same song.

currently, i'm trying to rank this mapset, and i have bns ready for it, BUT bossandy is also trying to rank the same song, but the problem is, bossandy's set is tv size, while mine is cut down to 2:20. another thing is, is that both sets are completely different in style, but yet, they both can't get qualified at the same time.

i know why the rule is in place to prevent situations like no pain no game, but if there were two rank no pain no game full ver and no pain no game tv size qualified sets at the same time, then i don't see the difference

now for cut version and tv size/full ver, it's sort of a weird thing, because it really depends on how you cut it. it can be really similar to the tv size version but be extended to 1:40 or 1:50 (like this one, or be cut down slightly from 4:00 to 3:40. but imo tv size and full version are different songs, and you can map them differently even in the same style, so this rule should be in place instead:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

There should be no more than 1 qualified map of the same song with around the same length.
ik it's not a rc issue, but like, i think i should point it out
yaspo
For reference, the current rule
Different beatmaps of similar versions of a song cannot be qualified in the same mode at the same time. Similar versions of a song include cuts, extensions, and simple covers.
and related rule
Only 3 significantly different versions of a song may be qualified in the same mode at the same time. Significantly different versions include remixes, compilations, and mashups.
which both are in the BN rules help/wiki/People/The_Team/Beatmap_Nominators/Rules#qualification
Good to keep in mind when suggesting changes.

The main intent for these rules is to provide varied song content to the ranked section at any given point in time. Your case in particular seems really odd then. Mapping style has no relevance to song content, and the song doesn't change all that much when comparing your Cut Ver. and bossandy's TV Size imo.
Including cut versions in this proposal doesn't seem like it would maintain the spirit of "varied song content", as cuts are already taken out of an original. Similarly for extensions. Also just get the feeling it would have a ton of grey zones, does adding or removing 1 chorus really make a song significantly different?

That said, I'm for adding the ability to qualify Full version and TV Size at the same time as they're generally individually released tracks. In that sense they're intended to be "significantly different" by the artist, which should be enough for the ranked section as well (?)
clayton
agree with yaspo, though I don't think suggestion in last paragraph is important, tvsize/fullver is just a different way to say cut/extension isn't it...

it feels like this proposal is based on impatience more than anything and undermines the song variety enforced in qualified & the ranked stream for no good reason
Topic Starter
Dialect

clayton wrote:

agree with yaspo, though I don't think suggestion in last paragraph is important, tvsize/fullver is just a different way to say cut/extension isn't it...

it feels like this proposal is based on impatience more than anything and undermines the song variety enforced in qualified & the ranked stream for no good reason
but some artists rerecord the entire song just for anime broadcast (and it's different from the full version)

i personally think it's a good proposal, because players do like different lengths of songs. some like full size, and some like tv size, and with this proposal in mind, both a tv size and full size set of the same song can get ranked, and players can play both. when i do play (which is rarely), i like to play different lengths of songs. if only 1 qualified map of a song is allowed, then shouldn't we, logically, only have 1 ranked map of a song?
lewski

Li Syaoran wrote:

if only 1 qualified map of a song is allowed, then shouldn't we, logically, only have 1 ranked map of a song?
absolutely not, that's not a logical conclusion at all. qual limit only affects how often maps of the same song get ranked, not the total number of ranked maps of that song.
pishifat
replies are pretty clear about why this isn't needed -- the rule exists so there's a gap in time between when certain songs reach ranked and length isn't too important. waiting a week to rank yours or bossandy waiting a week is the solution