forum

what do u look for in a map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jonarwhal
this might actually be a useful survey
from the POV of someone who plays casually and doesn't map a lot, what are you looking for in a good map?
preferably one of these options:

-good music (if so what type of music?)
-good mapping (if so what type of mapping?)

thanks o/
Lapizote
as for music, I prefer certain music that fits my taste - i like rock, hip-hop and experimental music (see: glass beach/radiohead/coldplay songs).

as for "good mapping" I'll play anything that's fun. I don't give a shit if people think the map sucks or anything - I will play the shit out of maps that I find fun (see: that one Raise My Sword Loved mapset that some people hate) - but i mostly like streaming maps

edit: added some more stuff
Astrid Park
for music, any kind of music will do, this game is just for fun anyways, wish that there will be maps from underrated artists though, not just the same song, but different mapset.

for mapping, same too, any kind of type. I just hate those maps that are poorly timed at one section, but troll endings are my type.
Lott
I like tech maps. But if they are comfortable and not overly tech (like neilperry's railgun roulette) then I will enjoy it more. A good example here is xChorse's Cheat Codes VIP. It has neat, playable patterns and techy enough to play.

I also like super neat maps. My definition of "neat" in mapping is very strict that some good ranked maps sometimes feels "bad" with me because of some note placements that are "weird" for me.

I'm a gimmick lover. That means I love maps with gimmicks, like Hollow Wings' maps (although some of them aren't "neat" for me because of movement?). I'm planning to make a map with many diffs, and all of them MUST have a gimmick or limitation.

In mania though, I love underrated maps, especially SV and LN. They are true art for me because of their smooth expression in sounds. Somehow I become good at them and they call me a god at SV. (yes, i'm not that excellent at ln)

"who plays casually and doesn't map a lot"
I map a lot.
ClevelandsMyBro
for music, as long as it's sounds good, i'll probably play it. also i only mod songs that i know/heard from #modreqs, but no one cares about modding right?

for mapping;
  1. Clean
  2. pp quitw
  3. reform/kujinn or browiec
  4. no tech
ninore
for music:
i like anime op's a lot so i mostly play j-pop or j-rock. but i also enjoy playing other genres. i guess you could say that i like whatever sounds good to me.

for mapping:
toybot/vikala
hypercyte
iljaaz
kalibe
wafer
pretty much anything that uses unconventional techniques. but reform and browiec are cool too
McEndu
For mapping:
Nothing more than simple rice streams in higher keycounts
Winnyace
as a semi competitive player, I'm looking for interesting or niche patterns or really anything that might challenge me, even if the challenge isn't really all that big. I'm also looking for a fair representation of song. I don't think every map should be the next big, hard map. I still play this game for fun and it's not really fun playing a map that feels forced.
Hydreigon
when looking for a good map, I always check if it has a cute anime girl in the bg lel

But srsly I would play anything as long as the music is a banger
Kloster
when looking for a good map, I always check it has circles in it
Topic Starter
Jonarwhal

Kloster wrote:

youre gonna hate mania and ctb
Nuuskamuikkunen

Jonarwhal wrote:

Kloster wrote:

But my ctb skin uses circles.
z0z
i check for songs i like(or at least don't dislike) and i find maps that are playable(and correctly represented with some level of quality) and finished
Kloster

Jonarwhal wrote:

Kloster wrote:

Phantonym
i'm looking for musics that fits my taste
Topic Starter
Jonarwhal

Serraiongarewferawfrg wrote:

[New page.]

pandar
i'm mainly looking for maps that feel "right" and have the right pacing. there's less that i hate more than unnecessary slow parts that kind of kill the speed you have.
animeslayergp
i play a map if its short and easy now or if it gives alot of score and if i think i can fc it
qwt
I look for quality/nostalgia

quality: maps that represent the music well and are engaging at the same time
LimeTwist
I look for good music and aesthetics