forum

To mouse players, what settings/things do you use?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
I remembered a tiny talk I had a time ago in #osu about mouse players and I said I played with 2.5x and many said me I'm crazy, because it's too high, is it really that?

I know mouse sensibility is related with the mouse dpi and maybe the trackability of the mousepad, so I asked myself about what are the settings that mouse players use to play more comfortable, it's because this that I ask to you, what are those settings you use?

In my case I use a generic mouse with 800dpi and 3.0x sensibility and a cheap mousepad.
kriers
well mine is 600 dpi 1.0x and I used to have 450 dpi in 2011 and 2012 but hey preference
silmarilen
t/76457

even tho the topic name says mouse only i bet at least 3/4 of them use kb aswell
Oinari-sama
Another related thread which you might be interested in: t/114261
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
I didn't see those threads orz
Icyteru
8/11 windows
mouse acceleration/precision on in windows
1.8x sensitivity in osu!
800dpi

deemed stupid by most of osu! community
Loves
6/11 Windows Mouse,
1.1x For Osu! and sometimes I might use 1.0x if I'm feeling picky :3
Mouse dpi is 500
Mouse precision >OFF<
TakuMii
I'm still playing around with settings. Due to the hardware restrictions of the Deathadder at lower DPIs regarding negative acceleration, I might be sticking to 1800dpi and 4/11.

[AirCoN] wrote:

8/11 windows
mouse acceleration/precision on in windows
1.8x sensitivity in osu!
800dpi

deemed stupid by most of osu! community
Not really stupid, but uninformed.
If you were to play without acceleration (6/11, no precision, 1.0x), it would allow you to rely more on your muscle memory and perform more consistently (as moving the mouse to one spot on your desk will cause the cursor to go to the same spot on the screen every time). Well, as long as your mouse is good enough to not have acceleration built into the hardware, although turning off all software-based acceleration with a generic mouse will still make a difference. It'll feel weird at first, but it helps in the long run.
Turning off mouse precision will make the most difference, but it'll cause mouse movement to be a bit choppy at anything higher than 6/11. Your 8/11 setting will cause the mouse to skip pixels, but it won't really affect acceleration (since even-numbered settings tend to be more consistent with the pixel-skipping). Your 1.8x setting in osu! also introduces more acceleration on top of the acceleration from Windows' mouse precision, so if you turn that off you might as well change the setting to 1.0x or 2.0x.

tl;dr: setup=bad because acceleration=bad for muscle memory. turning it off will help you improve.
lolcubes
As long as you have any acceleration turned off, pretty much any setting should be fine if you are comfortable with it.
800 dpi 1.0x 6/11 for me, been using this for 8 years or so (the DPI/windows setting).
Aqo
Reasons to not use higher values than 6/11 in windows: It makes windows skip pixels, rendering it completely impossible to land on some pixels.
NEVER use above 6/11.

Reasons to use 1.0x in osu instead of other settings: if you use anything besides 1.0x, the mouse speed inside osu and outside of it in the rest of your PC browsing will be different, which might be awkward or annoying. It's not that hard to get used to but you'll probably still be better off trying to be consistent.

Reasons lower sensitivity is generally better than higher sensitivity: it makes your aim more accurate. Try to land on a pixel with any level of sensitivity, and it will be easy for you to tell that the higher it is, the harder it is to land on that pixel. Osu circles are bigger than a pixel but the same principle remains. It is a common misconception to think that higher sensitivity will make jumps easier, since a jump is a "big fast move", but in reality the difficulty in jumps isn't 'moving from point A to point B', it's 'landing on point B accurately and consistently'.

Reasons why too-low sensitivity is bad: to get the maximum speed on your aim, it is recommended to only use the wrist for aiming, and not the arm. Depending on the size of your wrist, each person has a different optimal sensitivity level for them, which is the lowest-yet-not-too-low level where they can move anywhere with their wrist. Also, this is trainable, so training yourself with a lower sensitivity than what you think you can play will make you better later (it will make your wrist stronger, and better at jumps).

A full-area tablet will require you to move approximately 3 inches from the left-most to the right-most edge of your osu playfield. This is equivalent to about 450dpi on mouse. Many people experience an improvement in their jump consistency when switching from mouse to tablet. In reality, they were most likely using a very high sensitivity with mouse (anything more than 450 pixels per inch) and by switching to tablet and not changing the default settings they started playing on a lower sensitivity which made them better.

Thus, if you want to have good consistent results with mouse, it is recommended that you just aim to set a sensitivity level of 450dpi and play with this for at least a month. This will make you instantly "jump as good as on tablet" (in reality it's just "jump as good due to lower sensitivity") and you will see a rapid improvement in your aim. After playing for at least a month with this setting, you might want to make it a little lower or higher based on your own wrist, once you already learned how well this works for you.

It's not impossible to learn to be good with higher sensitivity levels, you'll just need to train more and work harder for smaller/slower results, so there's really no point unless you particularly find higher sensitivity more fun to play with.

And it goes without saying, make sure any form of acceleration is disabled. Triple-check that you're sure on this. i.e. confirm that doing fast moves doesn't move you further than doing slow moves for the same distance.

Personally I find lower more fun. 320dpi masterrace gogo. QCK+ wisest purchase ever
Vmx
I use 400dpi and 7/11 windows, I used 6/11 and had exact 1-1 response rate, but I felt like I need a bit more speed since I mostly play HR so I changed to 7/11 and tbh my aim got better than with 6/11 (I still keep switching and sometimes use 6/11 because I don't feel much difference, only spinning becomes easier with 7/11)

this is with 7/11 (not always 1-to-1 but the "skips" are really small"

and this is with 6/11 (complete 1-to-1 response rate)

I use this to be able to change windows mouse movement speed and keep acceleration off. http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/04/markc-mouse-acceleration-fix-builder.html
Aqo
Why not use a higher dpi and lower windows setting instead of going over 6/11 in windows? You can get the same sensitivity level with less pixelskip
silmarilen
why not use the other threads about this topic?
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

Because the search function in this site has been acting weird as hell ever since forever and I doubt new people know how to actually find relevant old threads with it
Vmx

Aqo wrote:

Why not use a higher dpi and lower windows setting instead of going over 6/11 in windows? You can get the same sensitivity level with less pixelskip
because 400dpi is max I can get on my mouse
silmarilen

Aqo wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

Because the search function in this site has been acting weird as hell ever since forever and I doubt new people know how to actually find relevant old threads with it
i linked it in this thread, that is no excuse