forum

osu! World Cup 2020 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WalterToro
Wiki | Livestream

Welcome to the osu! World Cup 2020 Discussion Thread.
Here you can discuss everything related to the biggest country-based osu! tournament.

Notable changes:

1. Warmups are removed from the matches
  2. Added extra timer rules when picking and getting ready
More changes might be added here so check this space!
lardon
I'm curious as to why warmups are removed? The new timer rules make sense though.
Brown Guy 2

lardon wrote:

I'm curious as to why warmups are removed? The new timer rules make sense though.
If warmups are vetted before hand I don't see why there would be a problem?
Topic Starter
WalterToro

lardon wrote:

1. Takes a lot of time
  2. Download speeds for some people makes this even longer
  3. Teams should be already be warmed up and some warmups does the opposite
  4. Some of the warmups are plain awful memes that are borderline inappropriate
There are other reasons but this was the main discussion.
lardon
thanks for the answer, I can get behind these reasons
reflection
"While this competition is planned as a 4 versus 4 setup, this may change depending on the number of incoming registrations."

I'm assuming you don't mean to scale up the number of players per roster (this would be really sick if you did though), so please don't lower the amount. Eight is a low number for some of these teams as is.
AstrZt
rip warmups and fun

I mean I guess we’re trying to make this as professional as possible but just feels sadge not being able to see epic warmups
Topic Starter
WalterToro

Apraxia wrote:

"While this competition is planned as a 4 versus 4 setup, this may change depending on the number of incoming registrations."

I'm assuming you don't mean to scale up the number of players per roster (this would be really sick if you did though), so please don't lower the amount. Eight is a low number for some of these teams as is.
Never over 4v4, but in the strange case we dont have enough players (not only on this cup but on any world cup) we have this line in case we need to re-scale the tournament. Shouldnt be a thing on OWC afaik.
MyAngelAnton
Can i stream and comment tournament on my own twitch channel for the russian guys?
KaitoH2O
les fockin goe
PainTensei
Couldn't you ask a team to 'lock in' their warmup map an X amount of days before the match?

You could let someone quickly check it for inappropriate stuff, hand it out to the opponent team beforehand so there is no possible long download and every player can decide for themselves if they think it's worthy of playing.
Topic Starter
WalterToro

PainTensei wrote:

Couldn't you ask a team to 'lock in' their warmup map an X amount of days before the match?

You could let someone quickly check it for inappropriate stuff, hand it out to the opponent team beforehand so there is no possible long download and every player can decide for themselves if they think it's worthy of playing.
The experience has shown that people doesnt want to spoil the surprise and most of the warmups are uploaded in a time range of 1 hour to 5 mins before the match (there are people who literally wait to be in the room to upload the map).
Locking the map doesnt help too as some team warmups depends on what they wanna test and they might actually change opinion depending on who is available to play or if they dont feel confident on something in that moment.
DeletedUser_259972

WalterToro wrote:

PainTensei wrote:

The experience has shown that people doesnt want to spoil the surprise and most of the warmups are uploaded in a time range of 1 hour to 5 mins before the match (there are people who literally wait to be in the room to upload the map).
Locking the map doesnt help too as some team warmups depends on what they wanna test and they might actually change opinion depending on who is available to play or if they dont feel confident on something in that moment.
The experience was based on that there wasn't any time limit to submit their warmups. By sharing the warmup link ONLY to the designated streamer, referees, and the opponent, the chance of it leaking out to livestream viewers and "spoiling the surprise" is pretty low imo. If they wanted to keep the surprise from the opponent... well... too bad. It's for the sake of smooth progression of the tourney.
Also, players uploading warmups right before the deadline is natural. However, it won't affect the tournament since you can set the deadline a few days before the match so that everyone involved would have already downloaded it.
For teams that use warmups strategically to test opponent's skills, it could be a bummer to not be able to apply the current situation to their choice, as you've mentioned. There's plenty of other resources that they can use though, such as the opponent's best plays, past matches, and so on, so I believe it won't affect them as much as you worried. And they won't have to worry about their own team composition, because it has no effect on match scores and its purpose is to just "warm up."

Finally, as a former player in the tournament and as a viewer, warmup is a GREAT way to pre-hype the players and the viewers if it's a "geniune" pick, or to just entertain the viewers and relax the nerves a bit before the match if it's a "meme" pick. Either way, it's a 7-year-old custom that everyone has accustomed to and enjoyed. Really hope you would reconsider and bring warmups back to the people who want it.
Ousaka_Akane
How can I request to be a part of the staff?
I want to stream OWC in china Using osu!Lazer because the current streaming guy is still using old tournament client
and I'd like to let Chinese players have a better experience watching this game without using Virtual Private Networks to connect to Twitch.

If availiable, I would also like to get the Background Videos that you guys used, to improve my streaming performance in OWC.
Mr HeliX
Yeah removing warmups is a very sad decision imo. They’re a great way for a team to show their creativity or to have some fun before the match and to remove that just because you don’t seem to like it or because it’s “just memes” is incredibly sad. Let players have their fun and relaxing time before their possibly very stressful match. If they don’t need it they’re always free to skip it. Have teams submit their warmups before the match and almost all your issues are fixed.

Warmups are also useful to make sure your setup is working properly. Wouldn’t be the first time joining a multi lobby crashes the game or fucks up your settings somehow.
youtoo12
Lol
RoIada z Miesem
No warmups, no fun allowed anymore huh
PainTensei

Jakads wrote:

WalterToro wrote:

PainTensei wrote:

The experience was based on that there wasn't any time limit to submit their warmups. By sharing the warmup link ONLY to the designated streamer, referees, and the opponent, the chance of it leaking out to livestream viewers and "spoiling the surprise" is pretty low imo. If they wanted to keep the surprise from the opponent... well... too bad. It's for the sake of smooth progression of the tourney.
Also, players uploading warmups right before the deadline is natural. However, it won't affect the tournament since you can set the deadline a few days before the match so that everyone involved would have already downloaded it.
For teams that use warmups strategically to test opponent's skills, it could be a bummer to not be able to apply the current situation to their choice, as you've mentioned. There's plenty of other resources that they can use though, such as the opponent's best plays, past matches, and so on, so I believe it won't affect them as much as you worried. And they won't have to worry about their own team composition, because it has no effect on match scores and its purpose is to just "warm up."

Finally, as a former player in the tournament and as a viewer, warmup is a GREAT way to pre-hype the players and the viewers if it's a "geniune" pick, or to just entertain the viewers and relax the nerves a bit before the match if it's a "meme" pick. Either way, it's a 7-year-old custom that everyone has accustomed to and enjoyed. Really hope you would reconsider and bring warmups back to the people who want it.
I agree with Jakads; warmups are great to create hype and entertainment for the viewers. So please reconsider this OWC to try out stricter rules for warmups instead of completely removing them. If the new rules don't work out, then remove them in OWC2021?
SUPERNOOB20
Bruh, I've never watched an OWC before. Been waiting all year long... just for warmups getting removed? D:

BTW, just noticed this is my first post ever in a forum WTF
RaFaReAcH
Warmups are not a must have, but removing them is like leaving a piece of history behind... I see why you guys think it had to be made, but to be franc, one of the most memorable moments of the OWC are the meme warmups, even if they are not very professional, it let's players have fun with the game before going full serious mode for the tournament and it eases viewers into the stream and builds up hype, going at it since the very start will feel like too much, too fast by comparison now...
show more