forum

Introducing osu! Farmers Market - 2020 Edition

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HyperBCS

osu! Farmers market started 3 years ago as a research project to find the best maps for pp in osu!. Until now I have done very little work to maintain the site with updated maps. In the past few weeks I have been working to update the site with a modern design and tweaks to my algorithm. Difficulty calculation is still limited to standard until I find reliable methods for calculating difficulty for the other game modes.

Each map on the site is given a "Farm Score", which is a metric that describes how overweighted the map is based on player top scores. The data used to calculate this list is every player in the top 50 countries that has over 1000pp.

Usage

The site should be mostly self explanatory besides how mod filtering is handled. A checkmark next to the mod means the most must be included in the filter, and a dash '-' means that the mod is optional.

Game mode can be changed by clicking "Standard" and changing to the displayed game mode.

Algorithm

Going into more detail about specifically how each score is calculated. Scores for each mod combination on a map are gathered and a linear regression is calculated from the score position(What position it was in the users top scores) vs the amount of PP the user has.
Example position vs total pp

This alone is not enough to create a reliable score. Maps with few scores have an R^2 which is very low and leads to inconsistent data for very high SR maps. The data from the previous part is partially transformed by weighting the data based on the number of scores for that score position. Score position histogram. Maps with a higher ratio of #1s will have a greater weight than maps that do not.

This list is still in early stages and may be constantly changing due to tweaks in the algorithm, but will be updated at least every 15 days by an automated process.

If you encounter any bugs or have any feedback do not hesitate to let me know!

If you would like to dive deeper into this project the source can be found here https://github.com/HyperBCS/osuFM
abraker
Very interesting. Also makes me wonder what maps are the least farmable. Would be cool if those were accessible too since they are likely to involve very awkward and counter-intuitive patterns, which is excellent for niche skill training.
oSumAtrIX
Great site, i can definitely see a usecase for it. What is the difference between osu!FM and osu-pps?
Topic Starter
HyperBCS

oSumAtrIX wrote:

Great site, i can definitely see a usecase for it. What is the difference between osu!FM and osu-pps?
The features are generally the same minus the mappers and ranking sections. I tried to make the interface a little more user friendly for desktop and mobile. The main difference would probably be the algorithm used to calculate top farm maps. All stats for standard such as star, ar, cs, and od are calculated for difficulty changing mods such as DT, HT, HR making it easier to find maps within a certain star rating.

I do plan on adding mod difficulty calculation to all game modes but need to find a way to compute the values for other game modes.