forum

Is 150 bpm too slow?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
knto
So I tried to truly complete a map for the first time, and I decided to make it a jump map. Only now have I realized though that the song, which is 150 bpm, is probably way too slow to be accepted as jump-oriented. Did I fuck up? Was a jump map a bad idea? Did I waste 2 and a half months or 50+ hours of my life on a project I shouldn't have ever started?

Map for context: beatmapsets/1206428#osu/2512414
Zelzatter Zero
considering the standard bpm is 174, yes it's slow. But that doesn't mean you can't make it hard as long as you did it well. Remember that Highscore, Immortal Flame and ILY are just 110bpm, it's just that you have to find a workaround to deal with them.
Topic Starter
knto
I think we need to take into account the song being used. Considering the song that I used, there isn't really a workaround to make it mostly focused on jumps. Despite being low BPM, the maps you've listed work as jump-oriented maps because they have rhythms that can be used as 1/4th jumps, ILY especially. The song I used doesn't have any rhythms to make 1/4th jumps work, so I'm just stuck with slow 1/2 jumps. It's honestly an alt map instead of jump.
Adinda
Jump is not bad idea if it really needed to represent the song ,like this set beatmapsets/1256023#osu/2610290 for example,also 150 isnt that slow for jump map imo
Zelzatter Zero
maybe you can take a look at my map: beatmapsets/1165571#osu/2431006

it's 158bpm and the rhythm choice mainly consists of 1/2 and 1/3, excluding some parts
Uniform
the bpm doesn't matter as long as the song has jumps. just map it as if it was 180 bpm. people will just stick dt on it anyways lmao
TheKingHenry
Since no one has tackled one of your questions yet, here goes

knto wrote:

Did I waste 2 and a half months or 50+ hours of my life on a project I shouldn't have ever started?
Basing on your post you are new mapper, and thus the answer to this is no. As long as you learned something while mapping, no project is waste when you're starting out. Dumping maps in trash at some point is usually part of the course anyways when starting out, so whether or not it is something you "should have mapped or not" is not that relevant in that context