forum

[Proposal] If a mapset's song contains matching sections to the TV Size/Short Ver/Game Ver song.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fu Xuan
Would just like to make this clearer.

Currently we have a note in the RC saying:

Note: If a mapset's song contains matching sections to the TV size/Short Ver/Game Ver song, in the same order, and is roughly the same length as the official cut song, the mapset's edit will also count as a TV Size/Short Ver/Game Ver respectively. Covers and remixes do not count.
We have had mapsets such as beatmapsets/1231802 where the map has similar length of the actual TV Size and the change was just about 7 seconds of the outro yet it has no marker. I believe it's because we have this mindset of "if it's not the actual TV Size, then it shouldn't be" which shouldn't be the case if we have this in the RC.

Also having a similar case so I would like to make this more consistent for future cases. I suggest adding something to the note saying

If a mapset's song has a section changed, removed, or added to the TV size/Short Ver/Game Ver song, the mapset's edit will not count as a TV Size/Short Ver/Game Ver.
This way, I think we can objectively judge each case better because current wording of the note didn't really say that a 7 second difference is not "matching sections" or something.

tho idk may be worded a bit better but u get the point
Mocaotic

Somehow agree that this should be addressed and clarified as to prevent confusion among the playerbase and mappers alike.

There are ranked mapsets such as this where having the song's title itself without any markers doesn't make sense and therefore may provide 'false info' towards people, as in this map, the first thing I noticed that it is not full version from the drain time despite the metadata title.

In Aqua's case, it feels misleading for a song to be edited in a similar way compared to the TV Size variation, shown in 00:27:995 i think. So, in my opinion, I think they should be a need to have marker such as (TV Edit), (Edit Ver.) or even (Cut Ver.) in order to make things more consistent and accurate to the song.

As in what the RC has stated, I feel that the word 'roughly' may be too ambiguous to determine whether a song is TV Size or not as it is partially not TV Size. Surely, that a second of a change to the song may not be noticeable so I feel that it is still appropriate to classify it as (TV Size), but how about in the case where it is noticeable like 5 seconds? Would it still be considered (TV Size) then?

I hope this is something not to overlook and may improve the consistency of meta
Noffy
As per the thread on Unofficial cut versions I've now made a github pull request to cover those, which would cover user's cuts that are similar to but not quite TV Sizes.

In regards to ambiguity, 7 seconds is a lot in a 1:30 map so like.. I think that map not having it is completely justified, just that it falls through the current cracks. I think having the cut versions thing would cover this and other similar cases. TV Sizes have to be basically identical, any wiggle room is for minor inaccuracies made from users cutting from full length songs themselves.
pishifat
i think this is addressed with the changes in the above post? if not let me know, closing the thread for now though