forum

Mouse users, why is low DPI good for playing OSU?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
boedhiman
Doesn't it make you jump pixels?

Edit: I am actually trying a new mouse setup since I sold my laptop for a desktop. After a hiatus from OSU, I started to play again out of boredom. For some odd reason, using the same mouse setup from my laptop on the desktop did not work very well for me (Am I the only one here experiencing this?). I used to play 1800 dpi using my laptop 6/11 mouse sensitivity and 1.5 OSU sensitivity multiplier. Now, I am playing using 900 dpi 6/11 mouse sensitivity and 1.0 OSU sensitivity multiplier. So far, not too bad. Despite me feeling that I have to move the mouse around more, I am still missing those jumps that I used to be able to make.
druidxd

boedhiman wrote:

More physical movement, less digital movement, I guess it's for that, although I would do it the other way around, adjust sensitivity to lowest possible and dpi to maximum, so you still need to move a lot, but have a higher resolution and more precise movement, though I don't know if that really makes much of a difference and I don't really know how low sensitivity can get, on FPS games you can set it to 0.01 and have like 6000 dpi and it still feels like a low sensitivity low dpi setting.
Oinari-sama
Having low dpi means that you are trading greater mouse movement distance for accuracy control.

Assuming that you have an above average spec (400/800/1600dpi switchable, max 8000fps), I personally prefer setting the dpi between 400/800 but not higher than 800.

Another advantage with lower dpi is that you get finer control when you step up/down the sensitivity multiplier (if you dislike tweaking the mouse dpi settings like me). Another advantage for lower dpi is that you are less likely to have cursor lag when you have to move suddenly make a big jump.

Higher dpi with low sensitivity settings may achieve similar result, but you'll start to notice the difference when you have to change the sensitivity multiplier for some reason. The feel is very different even for a x0.1 change if you have a high dpi setting eg 3500dpi. A x0.1 change for a 400dpi user is a lot easier to get used to.

But at the end of the day, everyone's different and it's up to the individuals' taste. Post like this always ends in a 50-50 opinion poll lol
Maneuver

boedhiman wrote:

Yea if its too low and you can't move too fast for the mouse or the cursor will jump.higher than 800 dpi shouldn't have this problem anymore
Do you mean low sensitivity good for playing osu ? I assume ur mouse precision is off
Low sensitivity have more control in aiming the cursor. Imagine aiming a dot quickly on the screen with max sensitivity, its easier to aim in low sensitivity and more accurate. Some will like to control high sensitivity too. So, it depends on your liking.
Soly
Loves
As long as your DPI isn't like 200 or something, it won't effect osu!. DPI only matters for professional fps shooters etc.

This is Lily-Kun's knowledge to you. Take it~
Kanye West
I think dpi depends on your screen resolution as well. I have a low resolution, so I use a low dpi (270, to be exact).
Aqo
The difficulty in jumps isn't in doing the move from A to B
It's in landing on B accurately
JappyBabes

boedhiman wrote:

Mouse users, why is low DPI good for playing OSU?
Simple, it isn't.
Soly
JappyBabes
^Considering that the best two mouse-only players that I know don't use low dpi is enough. You also try way too hard.
buny
low dpi gives you control over the cost of speed
Lightpaws
Higher DPI allows for better tracking. I use 2050 DPI with 0.5x sensitivity in-game(I would use 5700 DPI on my logitech G9x, but osu! doesn't support a lower sensitivity).

"DPI is dots per inch, it also relates directly to the mouse READING, along with the movement on screen. So that said, if you use a 1024x786 screen rez, and you having a 1000DPI mouse, it would 'technicly' take 1 inch to move from one side to the other.

But it also relates to how many 'screen shots' the mouse takes per second. So higher dpi = more screen shots per 'movement cycle' which translates into a smoother movement of your mouse, and yields a higher speed.

You can also reduce your movement speed (most commonly done in the game you are playing) to adjust the higher speed.
So if you go from a 400 dpi mouse with 4 sensitivity, a 1600 DPI mouse and a 1 sensitivity would give you the same speed, but higher precision."

source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_mouse_DPI
Oinari-sama

Lightpaws wrote:

But it also relates to how many 'screen shots' the mouse takes per second. So higher dpi = more screen shots per 'movement cycle' which translates into a smoother movement of your mouse, and yields a higher speed.
*Technical information coming up, feel free to skip if it does not interest you (does not discuss low dpi is good for osu or not)*

I think the author of that article got dpi mixed up with frame rate (expressed in fps). Going higher dpi doesn't mean that the mouse takes more "screen shot" per second. Some mice do, but most of the time the mouse will capture the movement using the same frame rate, then process the movement via internal algorithms depending on the dpi settings. Going higher dpi just means that the mouse will process spatial movements in smaller increments (eg process every 2 frames instead of every 4 or 8 frames), that is all.

If I use my mouse as example (Gigabyte M6880, yeah I know it's a cheap mouse):

Switchable DPI: 400/800/1600
Frame Rate: 8000fps
Maximum Tracking Speed: 45 inch/s on the spec sheet

Why does it say "maximum" tracking speed?

A mouse with a frame rate of 8000fps can only take 8000 "screen shots" per second, ie it can only recognise 8000 dots per second. What that means for each dpi setting:

8000 fps @400 dpi, 8000/400 = 20 inch/s max theoretical tracking speed (20 inches of mouse movement for cursor to move 8000 pixels on screen)
8000 fps @800 dpi, 8000/800 = 10 inch/s max theoretical tracking speed (10 inches of mouse movement for cursor to move 8000 pixels on screen)
8000 fps @1600 dpi, 8000/1600 = 5 inch/s max theoretical tracking speed (5 inches of mouse movement for cursor to move 8000 pixels on screen)

You may ask "wait a sec, why does the spec sheet quote 45 inch/s when the theoretical limit is only 20 in/s?"

Some mice advertise a higher maximum tracking speed than the theoretical tracking speed by use of non-disclosed "internal algorithm," but experience tells that the mouse usually doesnt perform well if the advertised value far exceeds the theoretical limit (usually achieved via extrapolation). If a mouse user stick to the theoretical limit like the calculation above, he/she can usually avoid running into trouble.
MillhioreF
Generally, lower DPI is better, but it depends on the person. You want to use the lowest DPI you can while still feeling comfortable, the same as you want to use the biggest tablet area you can while still feeling comfortable. The more area your mouse covers, the better your aim accuracy at the cost of requiring more physical movement and exertion.
Kanye West

JappyBabes wrote:

^Considering that the best two mouse-only players that I know don't use low dpi is enough. You also try way too hard.
I thought Shizuru- used low dpi?
Vmx
most asian pros use IE3.0 which is 400 dpi
kriers

Vmx wrote:

most asian pros use IE3.0 which is 400 dpi
it's also the most available mouse on the asian market, so go figure
lolcubes
It really depends on the person and what they are comfortable with. The only fact here is that on lower DPI the margin for error is smaller because you have greater control over the mouse, but it comes at a cost which is that you need to move more (which is still a tradeoff a lot of people are not comfortable with and because of it makes it harder for them). That's kinda obvious, but seeing the question in the title, I felt like I should say it anyway.
A lot of people who are good at this game with a mouse have a control over it with DPI of their choice, sometimes high, sometimes low, so everything is up to you.
Frostmourne
It is similar to tablet player as well. Playing on full board is easier to control and move more precisely than reduced area.

Said technically though

it still depends on each person too , as lolcubes said
TakuMii
Low DPI will only make you jump pixels if you have your sensitivity turned up. Your tracking will be more accurate if your sensitivity is 1:1 with your mouse (6/11 in Windows, pointer precision turned off, 1.0x in osu!). Nonetheless, it's more beneficial to use a lower DPI as a slower cursor speed will allow a greater degree of control.

Lightpaws wrote:

Having a higher DPI and a lower sensitivity only has a positive effect on games such as FPSes where your vision is rotating in 3D space (where sensitivity changes the angle of rotation per pixel of movement). In a cursor-based game such as osu!, you'll gain no benefit (or possibly a loss of precision) by bringing the sensitivity to 0.5x as you're forcing the game to omit every second pixel of movement as the cursor is only capable of moving by full pixels. The tracking will be more accurate with 1:1 mouse sensitivity because of this.
Lapis-
As youve probably heard, it makes your aim hell a lot better. It also helps you transition to full area tablet a bit easier if you ever choose to.
Macacito
i am the best mouse only player ever and i use low dpi thanks
LnDSuv

Lightpaws wrote:

Higher DPI allows for better tracking. I use 2050 DPI with 0.5x sensitivity in-game(I would use 5700 DPI on my logitech G9x, but osu! doesn't support a lower sensitivity).

"DPI is dots per inch, it also relates directly to the mouse READING, along with the movement on screen. So that said, if you use a 1024x786 screen rez, and you having a 1000DPI mouse, it would 'technicly' take 1 inch to move from one side to the other.

You can also reduce your movement speed (most commonly done in the game you are playing) to adjust the higher speed.
So if you go from a 400 dpi mouse with 4 sensitivity, a 1600 DPI mouse and a 1 sensitivity would give you the same speed, but higher precision."

source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_mouse_DPI
made my day :)