forum

Add the ability to report >players<. [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Wishy
We actually got the possibility to report individual scores from any map.

Wouldn't it be better if we get the chance to report users? Being able to add some data about why we are reporting him. You could say "this user seems to be X who was banned because of cheating, this score looks suspicious because etc". I can see peppy getting tons of reports nowadays and having to check each one individually w/o knowing what to look for. There are many scores which are obviously cheated but for some reason, and from what we know from experience, some people on the staff may not notice this because they don't play the game that much since they actually work to improve it on other areas. Any of us who has been here for a few years already may be able to recall funny situations (there are some now on extremely popular maps) where extremely obvious cheaters didn't get banned for months if not years.

If we could report users individually, being able to link to possible cheated scores + adding some data about it, people in charge of punishing cheaters could have a... well an organized report list. Maybe ordering reports by "quantity"? Usually big cheaters get reported a lot because lots of people know them. And even so there is no real way to properly report their actions since all you can do is "report a score" w/o really adding any kind of explanation about why you think it isn't a legit score. This may mean more work for users since we gonna need to invest a few minutes explaning why we are reporting this user, search for data, etc. I don't think users will have any problem doing this, while it may be a pain for mods/staff/peppy to investigate every god damn single report they are getting.

It would be quite easier to investigate someone if you already have some information about him, several suspicious scores, past accounts, like it is easier if you know what to look for. Taking as example some recent events, Netherlands had a player share his account for OWC and no one really said anything about it or just didn't notice it. Some friends pointed out some facts that pretty much confirmed that account was being used by another person, then it got reported and a few minutes later the problem got solved. Why? Because peppy knew what to look for, he had a name, he had some "proof" indicating what's going on, all he had to do is take a few minutes check some IPs and that's it. Now if he didn't have any of that data, but just some "there is something wrong going on", how long would it take to find out what's wrong?
aRtii-
!support
Topic Starter
Wishy
Please don't turn this thread into a cheating accusation discussion etc.
MillhioreF
You can already report a user ingame even if the're not online, just use !report. I'm not sure how necessary this is.
silmarilen
reporting a score is essentially already the same as reporting a player because if you report on one map and then on another it will also say "you already reported this score"
Topic Starter
Wishy
In-game reports are quite pointless (do they get filed anywhere?).

Yet both of you missed the point of this thread.

Case 1: I report a score, go investigate do everything by yourself peppy. XD

Case 2: I report Player X. Possible example:

"This user appears to be Y, who got banned a few months ago because of cheating. He got some legit scores apparently but yet this, this, this and this are highly suspicious because AR is 500 and accuracy is just too hard for a player like him."

Case 1 = actual situation. On Case 2 any user can do a somewhat proper investigation, find out some fact osu!'s staff may take a long time to do so since they won't know what they are looking for (like, exactly what) and in the end they may even miss some stuff. As I mentioned something like this happened yesterday, where a user got banned in matter of minutes if not seconds because an accurate report was done. Of course, not using !report but just telling some Admin directly.

And funny thing, the report was pretty much "he was sucking, reconnected and started rocking, now he is playing stuff completely out of his league, please investigate". Now if it wasn't for that it's highly likely nothing would've happened, since even if peppy found out he was connecting through a VPN, he couldn't really do anything about it, but when you add all that together the conclusion becomes really obvious.

Get my point? :p
peppy
Please use !report. I read every single one.