forum

Spectating Mappers [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
usa
hi~
did a quick search of feature request forum and didn't find anything (even though this should have been brought up a couple times)

A feature to spectate mappers as they go through the process of creating a beatmap.
This would be useful for new mappers to observe and learn mapping techniques firsthand from experienced mappers, while potentially promoting mapping(?) in the community.

Add-on feature to go along with this:
1) The ability to toggle off spectators in options for people who don't want other people to spectate them mapping (or at least a quick toggle to go offline whenever mapping in the options page)
2) Ability to sort through people editing/mapping in online users page

thanks!
Kluddio
This is a really tricky topic becasue it's pritty much impossible to do becasue when you spectate the client take the beatmap from the database and when someone is working on a beatmap that work is not in the database so the person that makes the map has to send you the info and that take away that persons upload.
I could work if there was a option somewhere that allows you to upload your beatmap to that person but that also adds a risk of geting hacked while maping and leting people spec you and there is a small chance some other maper steals your work.

Even tho this could be a really good thing to have but it's kinda not possible at the moment.
I have always wanted to spec people while they are maping so.

If someone figure out a way to do this i will glady give my star to it.
Topic Starter
usa

Cloudio-san wrote:

This is a really tricky topic becasue it's pritty much impossible to do becasue when you spectate the client take the beatmap from the database and when someone is working on a beatmap that work is not in the database so the person that makes the map has to send you the info and that take away that persons upload.
I could work if there was a option somewhere that allows you to upload your beatmap to that person but that also adds a risk of geting hacked while maping and leting people spec you and there is a small chance some other maper steals your work.

Even tho this could be a really good thing to have but it's kinda not possible at the moment.
I have always wanted to spec people while they are maping so.

If someone figure out a way to do this i will glady give my star to it.
D: Now that you bring that up, the only way I can this work is if peppy sets up separate servers for this so that it doesn't have to be direct P2P connection. But this is expensive and also susceptible to hackers unless peppy also invests in additional security and countermeasures. Unless that is mappers agree to the the potential risks of letting people spectate them, as well as providing them the ability to selectively choose their spectators. AHHHHHH! There is always streaming mapping on livestreams but people rarely do that too...
Saten
I'm pretty sure it was denied before because of various reasons

p/97995
Topic Starter
usa

Saten wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was denied before because of various reasons

p/97995
/thread
Kluddio
All we got to do now is wait for peppy to come in with caps lock ;)
theowest
t/108829
|
V
p/1970315
|
V
p/1972390 -> t/109137

This request involves a lot of permissions stuff the live collaborative mapping would cover. So this request your requesting here is some kind of "spectator camera" for the editor request, which I would find harder to implement. The mapper would have to send information where his map locations, etc are. I think it should be less lag and stuff than spectating someone play. So it should be pretty possibly.
You must be able to limit who can spectate you to specified users. Maybe a limit to how many can watch?

You can currently live stream your mapping and ask people to watch, which would also allow you to speak with a mic and stuff.
MillhioreF
There are so many existing, possible ideas that this would be a part of, I think it's safe to go ahead and mark this duplicate.
theowest
it's a duplicate if collab mapping comes with spectate mappers. which I kind of doubt it will, unless peppy sees this request.
MillhioreF
From the OP of the collab mapping thread:

cheesiest wrote:

There'd be a supervisor(the map creator), and the others in the room. The supervisor can give permissions to people in that room to either start placing objects and inherited sections, add hitsounds, and any other thing that would fit.
The supervisor could deny any kind of editing privileges to the others in the room, essentially only letting them spectate.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

From the OP of the collab mapping thread:

cheesiest wrote:

There'd be a supervisor(the map creator), and the others in the room. The supervisor can give permissions to people in that room to either start placing objects and inherited sections, add hitsounds, and any other thing that would fit.
The supervisor could deny any kind of editing privileges to the others in the room, essentially only letting them spectate.
Oh dear, forgot about that part. I'll just quote that in the original thread.