forum

What programming languages can you code?

posted
Total Posts

Can you code?

Yes
72.50%
No
27.50%
Total votes: 40
show more
Hydreigon

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Nuuskamuikkunen

nedd83 wrote:

no i'm not a nerd but i am beginner level in guitar piano and music programs, not good at but atleast competent in drawing, really incompetent in osu!, amateur level in photoshop stuff, bad at mapping, not very good at speaking japanese and beginner level - incompetent at other things aswell.

i just realized that i'm not good at anything i do. shit.
Same, huh.
Topic Starter
GPR

Hydreigon wrote:

Yeah it's valid.
Flanster
C# mainly (VB.NET previously but I dont do that anymore). Done a bit of C. In the future I'd like to take on C++ and Assembly.
abraker
From most to least on regular basis:
1. Python
2. C
3. C++
4. Batch
5. VHDL
6. Assembly
7. JAVA

Misc I can fiddle around with but use rarely:
1. Bash
2. C#
3. Verlog
4. Lua
5. Javascript
6. HTML

I'll never do any functional language. CSS maybe someday but doubt it. Maybe Go, PHP, and/or Rust someday
YyottaCat

GPR wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

axl2468 wrote:

GPR wrote:

axl2468 wrote:

GPR wrote:

axl2468 wrote:

mainly python, because I'm a lazy, lazy person.

also, I did know a lil bit of Java back then because I wanted to be the next Notch.
Well, Python is easy to learn for beginner and for learn Java you also need to learn OOP concept.
in addition, best part about Python is that it's (probably) the only language I need to learn for aspects that I will most likely use my programming knowledge for (science, astronomy and shit).
The problem of Python is its performance, it's very slow as sh*t. (And that's the part that I hate from Python).
well, it's either quick development times or quick performances. can't have both i guess.
Python is for things that don't burn too much of CPU, and other things are for things where performance do matter.
I almost burn my PC when using neural network with python a few months ago.
That's why you don't do that.

Hydreigon wrote:

LOL.
Topic Starter
GPR

YyottaCat wrote:

GPR wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

axl2468 wrote:

GPR wrote:

axl2468 wrote:

GPR wrote:

axl2468 wrote:

mainly python, because I'm a lazy, lazy person.

also, I did know a lil bit of Java back then because I wanted to be the next Notch.
Well, Python is easy to learn for beginner and for learn Java you also need to learn OOP concept.
in addition, best part about Python is that it's (probably) the only language I need to learn for aspects that I will most likely use my programming knowledge for (science, astronomy and shit).
The problem of Python is its performance, it's very slow as sh*t. (And that's the part that I hate from Python).
well, it's either quick development times or quick performances. can't have both i guess.
Python is for things that don't burn too much of CPU, and other things are for things where performance do matter.
I almost burn my PC when using neural network with python a few months ago.
That's why you don't do that.
I need to do that. But in the end, I use google colab.

abraker wrote:

From most to least on regular basis:
1. Python
2. C
3. C++
4. Batch
5. VHDL
6. Assembly
7. JAVA

Misc I can fiddle around with but use rarely:
1. Bash
2. C#
3. Verlog
4. Lua
5. Javascript
6. HTML

I'll never do any functional language. CSS maybe someday but doubt it. Maybe Go, PHP, and/or Rust someday
Javascript is fun for functional programming.
furry hater
Scratch and a little bit of python.
abraker
I don't consider Scratch a real programming language. Lego mindstorm stuff is in the same bucket.

I also despise LabView, so make of that what you will
Topic Starter
GPR

abraker wrote:

I don't consider Scratch a real programming language. Lego mindstorm stuff is in the same bucket.

I also despise LabView, so make of that what you will
As long as it's turing complete, you can call it a programming language.
keremaru
do bbcode, discord markdown and skin.ini count?
Topic Starter
GPR

keremaru wrote:

do bbcode, discord markdown and skin.ini count?
No
samX500
I don't know if I can really say that I can "code" since I am still very bad at coding.

I am most proficient at java since I had 4 college course using that language.

I also tried out python and cpp, I am not very good at either of these language since I have only ever used them for self made program.
Topic Starter
GPR

samX500 wrote:

I don't know if I can really say that I can "code" since I am still very bad at coding.

I am most proficient at java since I had 4 college course using that language.

I also tried out python and cpp, I am not very good at either of these language since I have only ever used them for self made program.
It's okay, the question is 'can you code' not 'can you code with good'.
ScxrletRose
I don't know any language well, but a know the basics of these languages:
-Java
-HTML
-CSS
-Javascript
-C++
-Lua
-Python
-Batch
-Scratch i guess

i think that's it

Maybe i shouldn consider learning a language fully, or at least better
abraker
> As long as it's turing complete, you can call it a programming language.

owh... I see HTML and CSS popping up here but we will totally ignore that, right?
Lapizote
is there an agreement on what can be and cannot be considered as a programming langauge?

btw I think Scratch can be considered a programming language if I were to base on Wikipedia's definition
Topic Starter
GPR

abraker wrote:

owh... I see HTML and CSS popping up here but we will totally ignore that, right?
I already write in OP that HTML and CSS are not programming language, but people keep write it.

But, HTML+CSS is turing complete 🤔
samX500

abraker wrote:

Minecraft's redstone has been proven to be turing complete (if you have an infinite memory but we'll avoid that detail) would you consider that a programming language?
tilda
I am mainly a Python person, but I like dabbling in JavaScript as well. Also Rust is cool.
HecaRegina
2nd year IT student here.

C#, Python, Javascript. I guess those languages for creating websites like HTML and CSS count? I know I'm new to this IT stuff here so I don't count myself as a programmer until I join the industry in the future.

The one I really struggle right now is C#, since it happened during this Covid-19, so Zoom meetings aren't a good way to learn as I cannot ask questions and do things I normally do in face-to-face. Wish I can come back to proper classes soon. So much better.
Topic Starter
GPR

HecaRegina wrote:

C#, Python, Javascript. I guess those languages for creating websites like HTML and CSS count? I know I'm new to this IT stuff here so I don't count myself as a programmer until I join the industry in the future.

The one I really struggle right now is C#, since it happened during this Covid-19, so Zoom meetings aren't a good way to learn as I cannot ask questions and do things I normally do in face-to-face. Wish I can come back to proper classes soon. So much better.
No, you can call yourself a programmer as long as you can make a program (software engineer is different role). I can call myself programmer since I was 11 years old when I start to learn it.
YyottaCat

GPR wrote:

HecaRegina wrote:

No, you can call yourself a programmer as long as you can make a program (software engineer is different role). I can call myself programmer since I was 11 years old when I start to learn it.
You basically start to actually learn a language if you can print "Hello, world!".
HecaRegina

YyottaCat wrote:

GPR wrote:

You basically start to actually learn a language if you can print "Hello, world!".
I see.

That nice then. I must have been too strict on myself because I don't feel like I've mastered yet. Despite I'm already so familiar with HTML, CSS and Python, it feels something is missing to really qualified as one.

Nice seeing similar people of interest, with some code for fun or for education purposes.
Makinakia
C# and Java.
johnmedina999
Lapizote

johnmedina999 wrote:

LOLCODE
when it comes to cringe, nothing beats Emojicode.
Nuuskamuikkunen

johnmedina999 wrote:

LOLCODE
I read "lolicode" halp.
AddGore
Idk if it counts but I can program in Scratch.
I can also program Python but only print command.
Winnyace

eblf2013 wrote:

johnmedina999 wrote:

LOLCODE
I read "lolicode" halp.
lolicode is like the best fork of lolcode dude
Technocoder
In (perceived) order of proficiency:
Lucent (my own language so...), Rust, C++, Elixir (but not Erlang), Python, C#, Bash, NASM x86 assembly, Java, C, Typescript, Latex (don't know if this one is Turing complete), Haskell, Coq (pronounced the same as it looks), Imandra, OCaml, Swift, Lean, SWI-Prolog.

Languages I've played around with before (in no order):
Futhark, F#, Kotlin, R, Ruby, GLSL, Batch

Languages that suck:
Javascript
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Pascal - that one coding language every cool kid is using rn - and c#. Pretty good on both of them (I think, idk)
Topic Starter
GPR

Technocoder wrote:

In (perceived) order of proficiency:
Lucent (my own language so...), Rust, C++, Elixir (but not Erlang), Python, C#, Bash, NASM x86 assembly, Java, C, Typescript, Latex (don't know if this one is Turing complete), Haskell, Coq (pronounced the same as it looks), Imandra, OCaml, Swift, Lean, SWI-Prolog.

Languages I've played around with before (in no order):
Futhark, F#, Kotlin, R, Ruby, GLSL, Batch

Languages that suck:
Javascript
Earth has javascript, many death. Mars doesn't have javascript, zero death.

It's cool to create your own languange. I want to take compiler course in the past but too lazy to do it (because I'm not too good in automata course).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wrote:

Pascal - that one coding language every cool kid is using rn - and c#. Pretty good on both of them (I think, idk)
I only touch pascal one or two month in highschool when I'm still interested in competitive programming, but I change to C++ because I hate pascal syntax.
Penguin
one time I wrote a program that had a button and when you pressed it it said "Hello World!"
Phantonym
Python, bcoz its simplicity, tried c++ but my brain cannot understand how pointers work.
Jonarwhal
i do snake and coffee
Topic Starter
GPR

Penguin wrote:

one time I wrote a program that had a button and when you pressed it it said "Hello World!"
Was it VB?

ChargeIon wrote:

Python, bcoz its simplicity, tried c++ but my brain cannot understand how pointers work.
Pointer is pointer.

Jonarwhal wrote:

i do snake and coffee
What?
Lapizote

GPR wrote:

Jonarwhal wrote:

i do snake and coffee
What?
python and java. I'm surprised you didn't get it.
Topic Starter
GPR

axl2468 wrote:

GPR wrote:

Jonarwhal wrote:

i do snake and coffee
What?
python and java. I'm surprised you didn't get it.
I'm too tired to process it right now.
abraker
It's amazing more people know programming these days

much different than 10 years ago
lunarcoffee
I'm fluent in Rust, Kotlin, Java, Scala, Go, Python, JavaScript, C#, C++, C, Haskell, x86 Assembly, and Dart
I've played around with F#, Clojure, Groovy, and Ruby

tbh i really like rust
Jonarwhal
the important question is can anyone help me with my homework?
Winnyace
you've google for that
Dark Cacao
I can do Scratch but then it probably doesn't really count because the code is premade in blocks.
animeslayergp
coding is only for smart people
YyottaCat

AFasterSlowpoke wrote:

I can do Scratch but then it probably doesn't really count because the code is premade in blocks.
It does count.
Jacques Chirac
I can program on Python, HTML, CSS, a bit of JavaScript, and I'm currently learning C++.
Winnyace

animesquadgp wrote:

coding is only for smart people
not at all. you can be the biggest idiot, as long as you keep at it, you'll find a way to solve a problem through a program.
Penguin

GPR wrote:

Penguin wrote:

Was it VB?
nah, it was python I'm pretty sure. actually, it was so long ago that I don't even remember. I did a little python and maybe a little c++
abraker
You don't become an actual programmer until you worry more about code design than figuring out why the code doesn't compile.
idkmytname
What the hell is the difference with lua and roblox lua