forum

Flashlight mod behavior

posted
Total Posts

Should Flashlight mod behavior change?

Keep it as it is
31.94%
Change it so that visible area doesn't get too small on higher combos (and keep the shrinking behavior)
7.85%
Change it so that visible area is constant disregarding combo (any size will do as long as it's reasonable)
19.37%
Change it according to beatmap difficulty setting (AR, CS, OD, and/or it's unique settings)
5.76%
Combination of option 3 and 4
7.33%
Other changes suggestions (please post)
3.14%
Remove Flashlight mod
24.61%
Total votes: 191
show more
Thatgooey

buny wrote:

it should.

it'd be better if there were separate rankings for the mods rather than adding bonus score to them.
Because it makes total sense to completely take a fun, challenging mod out of a game, just because it makes some numbers you get for a full combo larger, and it hurts your feelings that someone's number is bigger than yours.

Someone puts 100 plays into a 500 note song with flashlight to learn the map, and then another 100 to do it with hidden. They spend a whole day on it even, practicing and learning a map. The final performance is a HD/FL full combo on a map they worked on. It's a satisfying feeling getting a hd/fl. It's like memorizing a piano solo. No sheet music to read. It's honestly not all that different. FL mod is very challenging, and should reward players accordingly.

There are many players now who can do a map with hd/hr or dt/hd with VERY few tries, if not a single try, with near perfect accuracy and a full combo. What is there to challenge these players further, if not a device that forces you to actually LEARN a map? There is a difference between reading and performing.

Flashlight mod is a performance. It's impressive. It belongs in the game.
buny

Thatgooey wrote:

buny wrote:

it should.

it'd be better if there were separate rankings for the mods rather than adding bonus score to them.
Because it makes total sense to completely take a fun, challenging mod out of a game, just because it makes some numbers you get for a full combo larger, and it hurts your feelings that someone's number is bigger than yours.

Someone puts 100 plays into a 500 note song with flashlight to learn the map, and then another 100 to do it with hidden. They spend a whole day on it even, practicing and learning a map. The final performance is a HD/FL full combo on a map they worked on. It's a satisfying feeling getting a hd/fl. It's like memorizing a piano solo. No sheet music to read. It's honestly not all that different. FL mod is very challenging, and should reward players accordingly.

There are many players now who can do a map with hd/hr or dt/hd with VERY few tries, if not a single try, with near perfect accuracy and a full combo. What is there to challenge these players further, if not a device that forces you to actually LEARN a map? There is a difference between reading and performing.

Flashlight mod is a performance. It's impressive. It belongs in the game.
Flashlight is a gimmicky way of increasing difficulty.
Never said I cared that fl gave more score, sure you deserve points for memorising a map but be honest, it is free points. My suggestion was to segregate all mods by a separate ranking not just fl so don't give special treatment for fl.

Also I'm surprised how offended you are when I lightly insult fl, makes me chuckle.
Purple
The poll options should have been limited to the first 3..
she_old
Flashlight and Hidden are understanding the map, Hard Rock and Double Time are changing the map to make it harder(or easier for some).
You could argue about hard rock or double time being easier, I think that FL is fine as it is, maybe keep the area at the smallest from the start?
Lance
I can't see FL being adjusted really. Either it will remain as is (likely) or will be removed (unlikely). I've always liked the idea of a new mod where the cursor disappears over time...
she_old
There was also a beta Black Hole mod or something, your cursor gets covered by a black overlay, kinda like an inverted FL.
eldnl

buny wrote:

Never said I cared that fl gave more score, sure you deserve points for memorising a map but be honest, it is free points. My suggestion was to segregate all mods by a separate ranking not just fl so don't give special treatment for fl.

Also I'm surprised how offended you are when I lightly insult fl, makes me chuckle.
free points? so funny.
lolcubes
So in short, people who can't play it complain, and people who can don't. Noted.

Also keep it as it is imo.
Vish024
I still don't get why people would like it removed, because it's too difficult? Removing it would also mean resetting millions of scores and further controversy. It's fine the way it is, if you can't play with it then adapt to it.
Thatgooey

buny wrote:

You said it's "free points", as if no work whatsoever goes into getting more points out of the map by actually learning the map. You have to work pretty damn hard to get those "free" points. That's a pretty big insult to flashlight players. You didn't lightly insult it, you dismissed it altogether. If the points are so free, why doesn't everyone go and pick them up?

Also, you seem to ONLY care about the fact that it gives higher score based on what you said. That's the only thing you even addressed is that you don't like how you get more points for memorizing the map. You solution is to separate all of the mods into different categories, but there is already a button on the top40 list to exclude mod scores. It just sounds like you are whining about how you can't just play a map 5 times and have the top score, because someone put in 100 tries and a whole session into learning the map to beat you.

I used to think just like you once upon a time, about how flashlight players were so annoying and took top scores. All they did was memorize the map, and it didn't matter if I hd/hr it perfectly, I wasn't going to beat the hd/fl score. Then I actually tried to HD/FL myself, and after an hour of failing understood why they deserve a better score than I did. It takes a lot more patience, dedication, work, and focus to play that way than it does to play hd/hr. I respect the FL player now. I honestly think more people should start playing it. It helps a lot with learning to focus properly. I would not dismiss it as a legitimate mod.
buny
First off: I never said I was annoyed by flashlight players, or them taking up whatever rank they want. I don't even care about rank.

Addressing that it gives higher score doesn't necessarily mean that I it concerns me or not, that is something that you decided upon yourself and thus still continuing to argue with me in an opinion vs opinion argument.
A separate score list for each mod would be a very handy feature for finding specific plays.
You're still telling yourself that I care about score even when I've specifically said I didn't care.

tl;dr your argument is built upon opinion against my opinion and jumping to conclusions without analyzing anything I wrote

No need to argue anymore.

Also to keep this ontopic: I think flashlight should have a consistent flashlight area (option 3), since it is frustrating practicing flashlight and having to retry due to combo breaks or at least have a flashlight mod that doesn't take into account the break
JappyBabes

buny wrote:

Honestly, go back to passing freedom dive instead of shitposting all over gameplay & rankings
buny

JappyBabes wrote:

buny wrote:

Honestly, go back to passing freedom dive instead of shitposting all over gameplay & rankings
Implying posts like these where you harass me nonstop isn't shitposting, I can't believe you're still butthurt that somebody lower rank than you can pass it.

Last post in this thread seeing as how I've already left my opinion on the topic on my recent post.
Topic Starter
Winshley
Chill, guys. I made this thread to share your opinions, so please don't derail this thread just because you can't accept opinions from others.

buny may say that Flashlight mod gives free score points, that's his/her opinion anyway. As a Flashlight player myself, I have to accept it anyway, even if it's insulting or not.
pielak213
­
JappyBabes
Let's explain how modifications in this game work (most of this will be about difficult maps, not 120BPM hards etc.):

FL is in an entirely different category different compared to HR and DT. It is purely mental and does not actually effect the map, same for HD. This is not a matter of opinion. The only discussion to be had is which of the easier mods are harder and the same goes for the hard mods however that is entirely map dependent (the same goes for HD+HR vs DT or FL which in almost every case I'd say the single hard mod is more difficult). There are a lot of people that seem to think because a mod such as DT isn't possible in practice on a map such as Chipscape that is theoretically possible to play with FL, it automatically makes DT a superior mod (same goes for HR/HD) without realizing that they compared theory to practice. There are only two people who have currently FCd and I know that neither of them can FC w/ DT or FL no matter how many times they attempt the map.

FL should probably be changed so the active areas are relative to how far you are in the map. Also I hope most people that make these sorts of threads realize that peppy will change nothing.

buny wrote:

Implying posts like these where you harass me nonstop isn't shitposting, I can't believe you're still butthurt that somebody lower rank than you can pass it.
I could probably pass anything if I cheated.
Topic Starter
Winshley

JappyBabes wrote:

Also I hope most people that make these sorts of threads realize that peppy will change nothing.
^ This, else I would have made a thread on Feature Suggestions section rather than Gameplay & Rankings section. If I were to suggest anything related to this thread, there will be people who would accept and people who would complain.

Which is why I would rather review community opinions than jumping to giving suggestions that people might not going to accept. The fact that the community prefers "Keeping Flashlight mod behavior as it is" a lot more than the rest proves this.
CaCtus112
keep it as it is, but fix that gamma thing <3
GoldenWolf
The only thing that bugs me with FL is the area becoming smaller, it's like if with DT the song start normally and become faster after X combo, or with HR the circles become smaller etc ...
I don't really understand this, why FL is "different" from the other mods ?

But that's just my opinion.
Nemis

NixXSkate wrote:

i personally think that the flashlight view area should be based on the total combo of the song, not just 100 or 200 combo.
I agree! The area should be based on the % of the song and not on combos.
Soly
Almost

Soly wrote:

As for it's current behavior I think it's fine as it is.
The only issue I see at the moment are really short songs (those less than a minute) are way too easy to complete with flashlight that pretty much no memory is needed at all.