forum

#Help channel [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
-[Akita Neru]-
So, I mentioned this in #osu after I saw alot of people asking "how beatmaps work" "why isn't picture showing".
(Wasn't sure if someone asked about this already, though. Didn't find anything in search..)

So I thought, why not have a #help channel?
Since alot of people ask
"How do I get beatmaps?"
"How do I change *Insert whatever here*"
"How do I upload an avatar?"
"How do I *etc*"
And yet people just link to the FAQ or do a command. But what if they already looked there and they couldn't find anything?

Either this could go (from what I came up with)
1. We have designated people (Probably the mods) in the channel, waiting for someone to come ask their questions. (My least favorite option, but if we add a #help channel 90% sure it would be this anyways)
2. We can have people sign up for being a helper in the #help channel (My personal favorite choice)
3. Or we could just have an open channel that anybody can walk into and ask their questions and get answered.

>Just a few things from the chat I pulled from #osu<
-[Akita Neru]-: There should be a #help channel
alex224486: yeah there should be

EGOIST-: a help channel would be nice
Saten
#modhelp ?
Topic Starter
-[Akita Neru]-

Saten wrote:

#modhelp ?
Taking this from the chat-menu-thingy
"#modhelp Discussion for everything beatmap-related. - 113 users online."
MieraK
You would have to direct those users to #help somehow. Else they will just ask in #osu like they used to till now, since its the default channel.
jemhuntr
#modhelp is only for people asking about beatmap related stuff. a help channel for lost people would be nice. also the help channel should automatically open everytime you run osu!. but once you close it, it should stop opening automatically
blissfulyoshi
We help with a lot of issues on #modhelp.... Some of them being quite random.
In addition, if people don't know about other chat rooms, they will still ask on #osu or on the forums.
Topic Starter
-[Akita Neru]-

MieraK wrote:

You would have to direct those users to #help somehow. Else they will just ask in #osu like they used to till now, since its the default channel.
"We'd just link them like we do with #lobby, right?"
Plus,

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

#modhelp is only for people asking about beatmap related stuff. a help channel for lost people would be nice. also the help channel should automatically open everytime you run osu!. but once you close it, it should stop opening automatically

blissfulyoshi wrote:

We help with a lot of issues on #modhelp.... Some of them being quite random.
In addition, if people don't know about other chat rooms, they will still ask on #osu or on the forums.
When why not change #modhelp's description?
Saten
I thought the #channel-name itself was a hint o.o
Oinari-sama
I think #Help is a good idea.

It isn't obvious to complete beginners and alike as to where to seek help. Most people will try to ask in the default #Osu channel and leave their fate to the "weather of the day," sometimes they get the help they needed but a lot of time they'll be ignored due to the channel being flooded with troll conversations etc etc. A separate #Help channel will bring better focus to help newbies.

If I may add, this #Help channel should be automatically opened every session just like the #Osu channel (for new and users within 1 month of registration). A new message should also be added to bancho !Help to point the newbies to #Help channel. As someone already pointed out, lots of people like to call a bancho command than answer directly so this new addition into !Help should work well if #Help channel is created.
MillhioreF
If we can find a good way to get users seeking help to the channel without being obtrusive on everyone else, I support this. Though I could also see it being denied in favor of "If new players can't get what they want from the FAQ, then we should revise the FAQ instead."
theowest
who would want to answer these questions, if the channel isn't any interesting to everyone that is.

just ask the question in any channel you think should answer it. #osu, #modhelp or your local language specific one.
[Dellirium]
People who don't even know how to download beatmaps won't find this channel or just ignore it.
I don't see any reason why other people will stay in #help for helping people.
Will this channel be english only?
Oinari-sama

theowest wrote:

who would want to answer these questions, if the channel isn't any interesting to everyone that is.

just ask the question in any channel you think should answer it. #osu, #modhelp or your local language specific one.
From my observation there are many community members who're willing to help newbies out. Although I haven't been around for long, if I see a question in #osu when I'm not playing I'll try to answer it. The problem at the moment is that I only read chat between songs, and I certainly don't feel like scrolling through tons of random chat messages to filter out a genuine question. Having a separate #Help will filter out random chat and I'm sure those helpful community members will be willing to keep the channel open.

Regarding #modhelp, I don't think it's obvious for newbies that they can ask for any questions there. Afterall the channel description says "#modhelp is only for people asking about beatmap related stuff." When I first tried the IRC chat a few weeks ago I was amazed by how frequent people get banned. That sort of atmosphere certainly deterred me from asking a non-mod related question in #modhelp. Hell I didn't know that you can ask other questions there till I saw blissfulyoshi's post.

[Dellirium] wrote:

People who don't even know how to download beatmaps won't find this channel or just ignore it.
I don't see any reason why other people will stay in #help for helping people.
Will this channel be english only?
That's why I think this #Help should be automatically opened just like #osu for people with new account (and less than 1 month old). Most people don't mind having multiple channels opened, I don't see how 1 extra tab is gonna scare away those who wants to help others.

I think #Help should be language independent. It's easy to direct someone to their own #language channel to seek help, but they'll run through the same problem (their questions getting drowned out in random chats). The language rule shouldn't apply in #Help and instead, people who post random/troll comments should be subjected to silence/ban.
peppy
Let's give this a try.
blissfulyoshi
To note, only #osu usually has a lot of ppl banned. #modhelp is usually very chill with very few bans since its existence. (I doubt newcomers even notice that many of the bans, if it is their first time asking for help)

If #help is created, it will basically be another #modhelp with mostly random people chatting and a few questions every so often. I really want to avoid making more channels that can basically serve the same purpose (and #modhelp is already filled with helpful people....)

Edit: Guess the channel was made, see you there.
Wishy
Help! I don't get why this is "confirmed" and not "added" or something. XD
blissfulyoshi

Wishy wrote:

Help! I don't get why this is "confirmed" and not "added" or something. XD
My mistake.