forum

New to beatmapping, need some tips

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lumixls
Heyo, I'm lumixls and I'm new to beatmapping. I took one look at the editor and got a little overwhelmed, do you folks have any tips/tricks or tutorials? -would really appreciate it.
Asphiee
Watch ztrots or pishifat video in order to get to know the editor... Idk just watch the two
Adinda
Good luck in learning of mapping i'd love to see ur map in ranked section and improved well in future ,i cant give many tips ,but i think i have some,use feeling to place notes but also use your brain aswell to structured that notes, avoid overlap as much you can ,spread the objects like in corner of playfield editor and not just in the centre of playfield,if you confuse to practice this ,you could see other maps and try to figured out why it structured very well ,i believe after much time learning and practicw,you can improved and becomes decent mapper.
Flowziee

lumixls wrote:

Heyo, I'm lumixls and I'm new to beatmapping. I took one look at the editor and got a little overwhelmed, do you folks have any tips/tricks or tutorials? -would really appreciate it.
watch as many tutorial videos as possible. pishifat, ztrot, sonnyc just to name a few. this is so you know a bit on what can/cannot be done

DONT try to rank ur first map. ur first map is probably gonna be dogshit and that's the reality of it (unless u have mapped without submitting for a while). instead, set ur priorities straight and go for more realistic goals, for e.g. improving structure, flow, patterning etc. ranked only becomes a goal once ur fundamentals have been set.

try not to set ur standards too high. yes having a high standard is a good thing as that allows u to push and improve further, but having stupidly high standards can do the opposite, essentially demotivating you.

get as much help as you need, pm experienced mappers/bns, join mapping discords, participate in mapping tournaments, do some modding. this will all help u to improve.

if u need some guidance, theres always people that unofficially mentors people (hard to find tho). some people are always available for mapping advices/quick feedback (myself included). also look at ranked maps and compare them with ur own to get a good gauge on how to become better in some aspects of ur mapping
Asphiee
be like nathan
Adinda

Asphyre wrote:

be like nathan
Nathan gera gera?
Chiru-kun
play your own maps. treat them like you're looking at someone else's map. then you will know what's bad, because perhaps you hated that part about your map.
Nilocnus

renzthegreat wrote:

play your own maps. treat them like you're looking at someone else's map. then you will know what's bad, because perhaps you hated that part about your map.
Sometimes that just doesn't work. Because you will always have a subconscious bias towards anything you make. But I do agree that it can fix most of your issues. The rest of the issues should be left up to modders.