forum

[added] Be able to have 0% dim (as default; no forced 30%)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
JhowM
Requesting because of this:

And mainly this:

Brighter image is more vivid and I think I'm not the only one that thinks that way.
peppy
I think 0% could even be the default for taiko/osu!mania, since the background doesn't get in the way.
TheVileOne
Why is there background dim to begin with? Was there any particular purpose why it was dimmed 30% by default?
peppy
To make osu! mode more playable. Having non-dimmed background decreases contrast to an unplayable level in many cases. As for taiko, it's quite possible the 30% setting was introduced unintentionally with the addition of fun spoiler/visual settings.
Topic Starter
JhowM

peppy wrote:

I think 0% could even be the default for taiko/osu!mania, since the background doesn't get in the way.
Yes, that would be pretty good :D
theowest
You can't differentiate between the background and the progress pie if the background is white around that area. oh and anything white for that matter, white notes, white circles, white beatmap objects. Default should be at 30%.

I don't mind being able to change to 0% though.
jemhuntr
IMO it should be 30% by default, and we have an option to change the default dim in options.
Topic Starter
JhowM

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

IMO it should be 30% by default, and we have an option to change the default dim in options.
Yes, what I requested is "be able to have 0% dim", preferably as default so there is no need to change it for every map you play if you want 0% for all.
Full Tablet
Wouldn't that break storyboards that have flashes that increase the brightness for a split second?
jemhuntr
Wat. How could brightness break the storyboard?
Full Tablet
Some beatmaps have flashes that work increasing the brightness, if the dim is already 0%, that effect won't be visible (unless the transformation changes colours in a way bright gray or other bright colour would look exactly the same as white, meaning a loss of color; also white wouldn't change at all).

Changing from 30% dim to 0% wouldn't change things much (except what I mentioned), since the eyes automatically adapt to brightness (unless you play in a bright environment and the screen isn't the most bright thing in the room).
Example (Photoshop)

Images on the left simulate the map background, and the right is a brightness increase flash.
First row is the current behavior.

Second and Third Row show how those flashes would see if the default dim is 0% (with different methods used to increase brightness), the effect of the flash is less intense since the base picture is already near the maximum brightness that the computer screen allows, and some details are partially lost in the brightened images.

The problem here is analogous to the Loudness War with recordings.
Kitsunemimi

Full Tablet wrote:

Some beatmaps have flashes that work increasing the brightness, if the dim is already 0%, that effect won't be visible (unless the transformation changes colours in a way bright gray or other bright colour would look exactly the same as white, meaning a loss of color; also white wouldn't change at all).

Changing from 30% dim to 0% wouldn't change things much (except what I mentioned), since the eyes automatically adapt to brightness (unless you play in a bright environment and the screen isn't the most bright thing in the room).
Example (Photoshop)

Images on the left simulate the map background, and the right is a brightness increase flash.
First row is the current behavior.

Second and Third Row show how those flashes would see if the default dim is 0% (with different methods used to increase brightness), the effect of the flash is less intense since the base picture is already near the maximum brightness that the computer screen allows, and some details are partially lost in the brightened images.

The problem here is analogous to the Loudness War with recordings.
I don't think you get how storyboards work. Storyboards cannot alter the brightness. All storyboards as of current are dimmed with the background. Meaning that "white" flashes are actually not fully white.

The only flashes that change the background brightness are comboburst flashes, and kiai strobes.
Full Tablet

Kitsunemimi wrote:

The only flashes that change the background brightness are comboburst flashes, and kiai strobes.
I meant the kiai strobes (they are part of the visual design of the beatmap).

As for storyboards not being able to change the dim, I think mappers should be able to change the dim more freely.

I suggest adding a storyboard event to temporarily change the dim by a percentage (up to a limit, up to about more or less 40% extra brightness) (being brightness= 100%-dim% in this case) in storyboards (so the default 30% dim can be changed to 2% dim, 50% dim setting can be changed up to about 30% dim, and 100% dim is always 100% dim). That way mappers have more control of brightness during the creation of the storyboard.
Topic Starter
JhowM
time to bump

still want this
Wishy
Maybe change this request to something like:

Let us set a default Visual Settings configuration, such as 100% and disable everything whenever it's available, and of course, the ability to make any map use 0% dim as default if we want to.
Topic Starter
JhowM

Wishy wrote:

Let us set a default Visual Settings configuration, such as 100% and disable everything whenever it's available
isn't there a request for that already??
Winshley
If I read this correctly, you mean having 0% dim as in break-time dim?

(By default, when break-time is over during gameplay, the 30% dim then starts taking effect)
Topic Starter
JhowM

Winshley wrote:

If I read this correctly, you mean having 0% dim as in break-time dim?

(By default, when break-time is over during gameplay, the 30% dim then starts taking effect)
0% as it was before implementation of the visual settings with minimum 30% dim, and yeah pre-map/break time looks like 0%

also users' avatars seem dimmed in the online users list too. and yes, i don't like dimming
willager
I hope I am able to default the background dim @ 0% soon.... I hate having to change it for each song individually.
Marcin
It's added I guess? (Default option in options)