forum

There's 2 things I need help with

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Soupmio
Well hello there. I'm preety new to taiko, so naturally I have quite a few questions. (I've already read OnosakiHito's guide, that was very helpful.) Firstly, when I play maps with high AR, I get motion sickness. Did anyone else experience this or am I too weak for this game? (lmao) Secondly, I play standard, and I therefore have a lot of standard maps. These maps can automatically be converted to taiko by osu itself. Are these "converted" (I don't know what to call them) beatmaps bad? How much worse are they from beatmaps made with taiko in mind?
UniqueBlock11
1. It might just be you with the motion sickness problem. I haven't encountered anything similar in my small Taiko career :|

2. Converted maps suck end of story lol (you can play them, but you will seriously enjoy actual Taiko maps much more)
Vector5g
2. some converted maps are just don or kon(bruh i forgot what its called anyway the blue notes) spam
or repetitve patterns
bobthaboy
If you feel motion sick, you may have a low hz monitor. Trust me, you're not going to be able to play high level taiko in 60hz, it really feels like you're drunk. Personally I own a 165hz and it is smoooooth sailing, but I was just as fine with a 144hz, maybe even a 120hz. If it's not that, I don't know, could just be a you thing

Convert maps don't play as well as actual charts
honestly they only exist for players who get off to making the leaderboards even if it still means obscurity, cause no one really plays converts
they still offer pp though, and some actually aren't bad
You're better off not going for converts unless if it's a situation like rog or dadadadadadadada, a popular convert that gives good pp
apaajaboleh10

bobthaboy wrote:

If you feel motion sick, you may have a low hz monitor. Trust me, you're not going to be able to play high level taiko in 60hz, it really feels like you're drunk. Personally I own a 165hz and it is smoooooth sailing, but I was just as fine with a 144hz, maybe even a 120hz. If it's not that, I don't know, could just be a you thing

Convert maps don't play as well as actual charts
honestly they only exist for players who get off to making the leaderboards even if it still means obscurity, cause no one really plays converts
they still offer pp though, and some actually aren't bad
You're better off not going for converts unless if it's a situation like rog or dadadadadadadada, a popular convert that gives good pp
1. Afaik applerrs plays with 60 Hz screen. I'm very sure there are a good portions of taiko players within the top 100 who plays with 60 Hz screen, although I had to agree that higher refresh rate are generally better for playing taiko (at least according to some of my friends who also play taiko). If your eyes are already get used to 60 Hz, then it should be no problem. It might take a while before you get used to notes moving from right to left.
2. Converts pattern are repetitive, often with terrible sv, and a lot of them on higher diffs have monos. Those 1/8 sliders in std are converted to 1/8 monos, which is hard to hit for newer player. If I had to think of 1 good thing about converts, it's that the hard diffs usually have a pretty long 1/2 section, which is good for singletapping practice.
bobthaboy

apaajaboleh10 wrote:

1. Afaik applerrs plays with 60 Hz screen. I'm very sure there are a good portions of taiko players within the top 100 who plays with 60 Hz screen, although I had to agree that higher refresh rate are generally better for playing taiko (at least according to some of my friends who also play taiko). If your eyes are already get used to 60 Hz, then it should be no problem. It might take a while before you get used to notes moving from right to left.
Yeah, probably, but I was answering their question. Playing with a low HZ monitor feels like you're drunk, so that's probably why OP has motion sickness.