forum

[duplicate] Multiplayer Multiple Mode Co-op

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Kuro
Just so happened to be rummaging through old feature request and stumbled onto this one... :o

It looks like a majority of people dislike this idea, myself included, so think about this for a second: How about doing the opposite of this request instead? Instead of competing against each other, make them work together? There will be another play mode in the multiplayer lobby named "misc." or "combined play" or whatever... :/

Anyway, it'll be different from the other game modes in multiplayer because there can only be a max of 4 players in each room and matches can only begin once they have at least one player on each game mode. It'll consist of 1 osu, 1 taiko, 1 ctb, and 1 mania player. To combat the different scoring algorithms, instead of trying to make a new one just don't do anything about it :roll:

Scoring will be based on individual algorithms and be as followed:

1. Other player: osu standard: His score out of MAX score obtainable
  2. Me: Taiko: My score out of MAX score obtainable
  3. Other player: Ctb: His score out of MAX score obtainable
  4. Other player: mania: His score out of MAX score obtainable
osu standard player score + Taiko player score + Ctb player score + mania player score = Combined player score on song

osu standard MAX + Taiko MAX + Ctb MAX + mania MAX = Combined MAX obtainable on song

Combined player score on song out of Combined MAX obtainable on song

Bump /o/

Don't like the scoring scheme because you can see the faults I left in and the details I left out? If you feel like using proportionality to use closer MAX scores in the different modes, be my guest... find individual ratios to multiply the scores by for all songs.

Bringing the osu! community closer to the "Clan" movement...
Too lazy to rewrite everything so I just copied my original post from another request :P

Added:
  1. An overall average percentage could be added: |(osu score percentage + Taiko score percentage + CTB score percentage + mania score percentage)/4 = Average overall percentage| ~~~ Probably, just to show how well they played as a group. No, actual effect on gameplay.
  2. Since the multiplayer room will only have 4 slots, the last 4 slots can be removed and replaced with the icons for each mode from left to right. Clicking one of the icons will put your name over it and the icon will light up. Clicking again will remove your name and the icon will darken. The "match start" button won't appear until until everyone has picked a game mode.

If you don't understand...
~It would be like playing as a band in Rock Band or Guitar Hero~

deadbeat edit: sorry dude ;__; t/202089
chaotic_iak
Sounds applicable. But I prefer that you add the percentages (osu score percentage + Taiko score percentage + CTB score percentage + mania score percentage) instead of adding the scores. Also you'll need a way to set the modes for each user...actually I'm thinking of letting the players choose for themselves.

...wait. I think Taiko and mania score are almost linear with number of hits while standard and CTB are far from linear (more like quadratic in combo). Percentage won't work well (most average standard/CTB players will end with something like 10% and Taiko/mania with 60%). But giving everything the same scoring system doesn't go well either. I can't see how scoring can be implemented to compare scores. Any idea?
Topic Starter
Kuro

chaotic_iak wrote:

Sounds applicable. But I prefer that you add the percentages (osu score percentage + Taiko score percentage + CTB score percentage + mania score percentage) instead of adding the scores.

Using score percentage doesn't sound very reliable. An overall average percentage could be added: (osu score percentage + Taiko score percentage + CTB score percentage + mania score percentage)/4 = Average overall percentage

Probably, just to show how well they played as a group. No, actual effect on gameplay.

chaotic_iak wrote:

Also you'll need a way to set the modes for each user...actually I'm thinking of letting the players choose for themselves.
Oops, I forgot to include that in there. I was thinking the same thing. :P

Since the multiplayer room will only have 4 slots, the last 4 slots can be removed and replaced with the icons for each mode from left to right. Clicking one of the icons will put your name over it and the icon will light up. Clicking again will remove your name and the icon will darken. The "match start" button won't appear until until everyone has picked a game mode. I'll add this to the OP so others will know.

chaotic_iak wrote:

...wait. I think Taiko and mania score are almost linear with number of hits while standard and CTB are far from linear (more like quadratic in combo). Percentage won't work well (most average standard/CTB players will end with something like 10% and Taiko/mania with 60%). But giving everything the same scoring system doesn't go well either.
Precisely!

chaotic_iak wrote:

I can't see how scoring can be implemented to compare scores.
That's the hard part ;)

chaotic_iak wrote:

Any idea?
Unfortunately, not at the moment..
Kingkevin30
bump

and sorry for not having something to add, no idea's for now how it could work the best
ConanCloud
Nice idea, i am for this. That could a good mode for tournaments ;)
chaotic_iak
Hmm, so this thing is bumped and I commented here before.

At the moment, I can think of a few things:
- Compare accuracy. They all are linear, so their sum looks reasonable. (Average is just sum / 4; if sum is reasonable, then average is reasonable, and vice versa.)
- Create an entirely new scoring method for this, but it looks like much pain.
- Don't do anything about it, just making it a fun mode without any scoring?