forum

8D Audio as a gimmick?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FroncaS
I know it's kinda weird but what if we could make 8D audio and use the 8D nature of it to enhance a map's experience? Like when the audio "feels" like it's moving to the right, the map's objects slowly move to the right too. Or if there's a certain section in the music a mapper wants to emphasize, they can accompany slider velocity increase with an increase in the music's simulated moving speed (like how it moves left to right and back faster through your headphones).

Already talked to a friend about this and he said there's nothing in the ranking criteria that limits song choice, but I'm nowhere near a decent mapper and idk how this'll work because idk how to make 8D audio either. Has it already been done? Just curious.
Zelzatter Zero
8D music is just a childish way to call stereo music.

But for the sake of song representation, I think that most mappers have that in mind for most songs probably, not just stereo ones.
Chiru-kun

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

But for the sake of song representation, I think that most mappers have that in mind for most songs probably, not just stereo ones.
the increasing slider velocity idea is very common since it is supported by various maps. the positional audio (not asmr) or something like that, less songs use the idea, therefore less maps support the idea of "audio is in the right, map moves to the right." but it is definitely possible (bro may nakita na ako dati pero vid so idk alin).

unique features of a song being exploited as gimmicks in maps is not required but encouraged, as long as it is in the line and does not negate playing experience, rather it helps improve playing experience and song interpretation.

Franco San wrote:

...idk how to make 8D audio either...
oh... yun lang. there are probably some programs out there that do that since may mga nakikita akong remix na "___ but its in another room". but who knows what programs those actually are and free ba sila? maybe there are some people in osu! taking such mp3 edit requests but idk them
IllusionB
Sounds like a cool idea I like it, experimentation with mapping always leads to learning something. Lmk how it turns out