forum

Why doesn't you allow me to instantly disable BG + Sounds?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AirmanTooStrong
Hey guys,

I tried the new patch this morning and I'm displeased with the changes. I always delete everything not necessary when I download a map, this include storyboard, background, hitsounds etc. As a result, every time I start to play a beatmap, a huge message saying that deleting background makes osu angggrrrryyyy. I guess it is working as intended, it is pissing me off and I want to get rid of it.

But why is this message even there at the first place? You allow me to change everything I want in my skin but I'm punished for deleting the thing that makes the most difference? There are some people who cannot stand backgrounds. Myself, I have a black wallpaper on my desktop since years, because I have multiple monitors and the light produced by the bright images hurt my eyes. Black backgrounds are great !

People like me who know how they like to play and manually delete everything, will not change their habits for an annoying line of text. If I cannot find a way to disable it, I'm just going to continue playing like I was and, even if I don't like it, I will tolerate it. I tried playing with the dim background, and to pass the beat map first before disabling everything, but it is not as efficient as deleting everything, because even if the dim background is better than the regular one, it is still not as clear as a black one, and the background pop during the pauses if I choose to disable it.

So my point is, if this annoying line of text doesn't make people change their habits as you wish it would, what is it exactly doing? It just annoy people. Either force me to play with everything included in the beatmap or allow me to change everything. I know you would like people to see the hard work that mappers did, I really understand it, but I don't enjoy it. Whatever you guys do, I will keep playing the way I enjoy the most, and by the features, and the lack of features, that you implement, it looks like you don't understand it.

So I'd like you to consider putting the option to delete, or to disable without popping the background every pause, the backgrounds and the hit sounds without having the pass the beat map first, and to, of course, delete the angry osu message. If you really don't like this option, please explain why to me, it would just please players like me.

Thank you
deadbeat

Ripaldur wrote:

I tried the new patch this morning and I'm displeased with the changes. I always delete everything not necessary when I download a map, this include storyboard, background, hitsounds etc. As a result, every time I start to play a beatmap, a huge message saying that deleting background makes osu angggrrrryyyy. I guess it is working as intended, it is pissing me off and I want to get rid of it.
Yes, this is intended behavior. and given enough time, you won't be able to access the map folder for ranked/approved maps. it's all ready like that in the test build.

Ripaldur wrote:

But why is this message even there at the first place? You allow me to change everything I want in my skin but I'm punished for deleting the thing that makes the most difference? There are some people who cannot stand backgrounds. Myself, I have a black wallpaper on my desktop since years, because I have multiple monitors and the light produced by the bright images hurt my eyes. Black backgrounds are great !
once you finish the map, you can dim the background by 100%. that should be enough really. otherwise its just senseless complaining imo

Ripaldur wrote:

People like me who know how they like to play and manually delete everything, will not change their habits for an annoying line of text. If I cannot find a way to disable it, I'm just going to continue playing like I was and, even if I don't like it, I will tolerate it. I tried playing with the dim background, and to pass the beat map first before disabling everything, but it is not as efficient as deleting everything, because even if the dim background is better than the regular one, it is still not as clear as a black one, and the background pop during the pauses if I choose to disable it.
skin elements/storyboards can be disabled using the visual settings, however they can only be deleted once you have cleared the difficulty. storyboards with epilepsy warnings can be disable without having to play first. also as i stated above, in the future you won't be able to manually remove map files

Ripaldur wrote:

So my point is, if this annoying line of text doesn't make people change their habits as you wish it would, what is it exactly doing? It just annoy people. Either force me to play with everything included in the beatmap or allow me to change everything. I know you would like people to see the hard work that ma will keep playingppers did, I really understand it, but I don't enjoy it. Whatever you guys do, I the way I enjoy the most, and by the features, and the lack of features, that you implement, it looks like you don't understand it.
the annoying line will soon serve a more proactive purpose i think. its just come out so expect more changes around it.

Ripaldur wrote:

So I'd like you to consider putting the option to delete, or to disable without popping the background every pause, the backgrounds and the hit sounds without having the pass the beat map first, and to, of course, delete the angry osu message. If you really don't like this option, please explain why to me, it would just please players like me.
there have been feature requests asking to be able to disable skins and what not without having to play the map first and all have been denied and i don't think this'll change any time soon sorry

hope some of that helps
Topic Starter
AirmanTooStrong
This is very disappointing to hear.
But why all these restrictions? Is it for something that I fail to understand like hacking/exploit or something like that? Why all the requests have been denied?
deadbeat
the maps are meant to played as the mapper intended.
t/47994 maybe this thread might answer some of your question. it is 12 pages of heavy reading. but it does help if you can read most of it
chelly

Ripaldur wrote:

This is very disappointing to hear.
But why all these restrictions? Is it for something that I fail to understand like hacking/exploit or something like that? Why all the requests have been denied?
It's not so much "hacking" as it is unethical? Can't find the right word, but something like that. But it's pretty much what deadbeat said. The mapper didn't implement those BGs and sounds for you to delete them. It's kinda rude to take apart their work before you even try it. This is why you have to clear a map first before you are allowed to dim it/remove storyboard. You can even use NoFail and just hit one note if you want. The restrictions are pretty lenient if you ask me.
awp

Ripaldur wrote:

I always delete everything not necessary when I download a map, this include storyboard, background, hitsounds etc.
the mapper put those in there because s/he considered them necessary

To me this seems like nitpicking. "I want to read this story, but I only want the tale to contain chapters 3 through 7 because they're my favourites". "Only the left side of this painting is worth looking at, so let me cut it in half"

I mean, I can kind of sympathize with you on the SB element because sometimes SBs are deliberately designed to be irritating (no thanks, guys) or backgrounds because way too often they contain risque images of anime girls for no good reason, but you can already dim background images to like, 10% visibility or something, so they're barely visible and thus not a problem.

But hitsounds? This game is all about the combination of audio and gameplay. Why would you want to hinder that?
Soaprman
I think he means custom hitsounds that come with the maps, not hitsounds altogether.

Speaking as a mapper, I only concern myself with my target audience. If I'm adding a storyboard to a map, then chances are my target audience doesn't include people who don't like storyboards. So if those people remove things, that's fine, because they aren't the ones I was mapping for anyway. And if reducing my map to just the mapping and a black background means that more people can get enjoyment from it, then I'm all for it. Sure, I'd be the tiniest bit disappointed that they played it plain, but that flaw's on my end and it's nothing to say no about. :P
Yarissa
I have a question. I'm not at home to test this, so sorry if I am imposing on anyone with this. 100% dim should presumably make the background completely black, right? I know 100% dim was implemented in the new build. I just wanted to know if it was as effective as it sounds.

On topic, hitsounds should be able to be toggled. I think that as long as you have the appropriate audio your gameplay will not be hindered. I think that every player should have a choice to toggle those hitsounds. Oftentimes the hitsounds are annoying or bother the player with sounds that may or may not be work safe (I.e. moaning).

For backgrounds I'm done complaining about them because peppy has finally implemented a good compromise on them. 100% bg dimmer was the best Christmas present ever.
awp

Soaprman wrote:

I think he means custom hitsounds that come with the maps, not hitsounds altogether.
I know. And that's what I meant as well.
skibblesx
This is just fucking annoying.

I don't care about how the "map" was intended to be played.

When I use my download limit on the beatmap center to download a map. I want to use it the WAY I want. This changes no ones lives. But Peppy insists on imposing on ours.

Im fucking done.

*insert response how you don't have to play the game if you dont like it*
those
Actually background dim can reach 0,0,0 now if I'm not mistaken.
Wishy
Well these Visual Settings things are better that anything we could've hoped for, I still prefer deleting everything and will always prefer that but apparently peppy wants everyone to play maps with flashy shit at least once, nothing we can do about it. Fun spoiler is good enough tho and truth is I'm using that almost always except when a map is unplayable with map elements.
Ephemeral

skibblesx wrote:

This is just fucking annoying.

I don't care about how the "map" was intended to be played.

When I use my download limit on the beatmap center to download a map. I want to use it the WAY I want. This changes no ones lives. But Peppy insists on imposing on ours.

Im fucking done.

*insert response how you don't have to play the game if you dont like it*
We insist that you at least play the map once as the mapper intended it, whom potentially sunk upwards of 20 hours work into a map you will play on average, roughly 30 times before moving on to another one.

It is hardly unreasonable to respect the mapper's vision for one solitary playthrough. I am sorry you feel differently, but significant revisions to funspoiler have already been made. If you cannot tolerate one playthrough to satisfy the part of our community which actively produces content for this game, then I have no regrets to see you leave. Good luck!
Ekaru
Oh no, you have to play a map *once* the way the mapper intended for you to play it in order to play it potentially *dozens of times* the way you want to play it!

The horror! How dare they! Your life is absolutely ruined because you have to do a clean, casual run-through of the map first. The blasphemy! The torture!

Let's ignore the fact that after 5 years peppy finally decided to let players 100% dim the BG ingame, despite how much he didn't want to do that! Clearly, he must cater to our every whim or we'll quit! Compromise? Fuck that bullshit.

Rage, OP, raaaaaage. You're fucked. Everything you worked so hard for in your life is going to be ruined because of the mass amounts of torture peppy's putting you through. Yes, that's right; video games are serious business.

Go quit while you still can, OP. You'll die otherwise!
darkmiz
When playing HR or HD on some of the harder difficulties, even a tiny disturbance can mess up your reading. My first play with 60% bg dim is always way worse than later plays with 100% dim. So why not take away the play-once restriction at least for insane diffs?
jesse1412
I'm fine with 1 play dim/hitsound removal for maps with SB/skin/hitsounds, but maps with just backgrounds should let you dim from the start, I guarantee almost no mappers make their own backgrounds - or for that matter even care about their backgrounds.

But yeah this 100% dim is the coolest thing peppy has done in a while.
Jinxy

darkmiz wrote:

When playing HR or HD on some of the harder difficulties, even a tiny disturbance can mess up your reading. My first play with 60% bg dim is always way worse then later plays with 100% dim. So why not take away the play-once restriction at least for insane diffs?
Take that run as practice, then. I'm not a good enough player as to fc maps I want first try, so I don't go serious on my first play anyway. The restriction has never affected me much.
darkmiz
I think there are many casual players who care about the background, but there are also many serious players like me who care about gameplay, and the bg has nothing to do with gameplay.

jesus1412 wrote:

I guarantee almost no mappers make their own backgrounds - or for that matter even care about their backgrounds.
Yeah, and people think stripping anime artwork is a part of "mapping". Seriously there are tons of sites I would go to when I want to view anime or "weaboo" stuff. I really suggest osu! should focus more on the gameplay.
haha5957
then at least let the mapper choose if skin or background needs to be forced(even for the first time)

I'm not a such storyboarder or background carer so if possible I wouldve mapped with black background or no background because I know players will delete it and even I would.

Sometimes I just double time nofail a map and Dim it. Forcing something(especially when even the mapper doesnt want it)sounds pretty nonsense(this is different from FL haxing. please dnt compare)

awp wrote:

the mapper put those in there because s/he considered them necessary

To me this seems like nitpicking. "I want to read this story, but I only want the tale to contain chapters 3 through 7 because they're my favourites". "Only the left side of this painting is worth looking at, so let me cut it in half'.
I'm sure pretty much of #1000 or higher ranked players do delete their background. good luck saying most of top players sucks.

There are many kind of players. I know there are someone who never dims or delete video but that is that, there are players who focus on clicking circles(and honestly for super insanes deleting or diming background helps s much) and please don't force them to be disturbed by background(something thatbeven mapper deletes while playing, either by diming or deleting)
darkmiz
Regarding the play-once restriction, I used to AFK and let the song run with DT No-Fail, but that doesn't work anymore. Honestly quite annoying.
show more