forum

Osu! mania is in dire need of some love now that Quaver is in early access

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cono
Quaver has shown us just how outdated Osu! mania is. How? Well let me tell you in a comprehensive list:

- Quaver has far better tools for improving. With being able to go from 0.5-2x speed in 0.05 increments is far superior to Osu! mania's DT and HT which only makes the beatmap go 25% or 33% slower iirc. Anyways this is terrible if you're hoping to get into higher BPM streams. This is something Stepmania also had. Honestly it's puzzling me why this is not a normal feature for all gamemodes in Osu!

- Quaver also has tools to cater to different playstyles. Not everybody wants to play maps with SV. In quaver there is a modification to simply turn off SV.

- Same as above goes for LNs as well. You can turn them off if you don't like them or perhaps want to do a focus practice session.

- Another modification that Quaver has is turning blank space into LNs and notes into blank spaces. This is perfect if you wanna practice LN walls or just wanna mess around.

- Also difficulty calculation seems to be better from the little I have seen in Quaver. It seems to take more things into account. Though don't quote me on that. I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Why don't I just move to Quaver then you might ask? Well I love Osu! mania and the community. It's huge and competitive in many forms! Also Osu! has some better QOL than Quaver with sorting beatmaps and adjusting volume. Anyways it's puzzling how Osu! has stayed the same for several years without much change at all. I don't know what the devs are doing so call me ignorant if you want to. To me it's just baffling that a game that has such a huge community is not staying with the times. I am one of the people who will end up favoring Quaver in the future if the devs off Osu! mania does not step up their game. I am confident that Quaver will keep improving and end up giving you no real reason to keep playing Osu! mania.
I'm not writing this to hate on the devs. I am writing this because I love Osu! mania and want to see it at it's best!

PS; maybe it's unfair to compare a gamemode of a bigger game to a dedicated mania game? Imo it's fair because Osu! is a huge community so expectations go up.
abraker

Cono wrote:

Anyways it's puzzling how Osu! has stayed the same for several years without much change at all. I don't know what the devs are doing so call me ignorant if you want to. To me it's just baffling that a game that has such a huge community is not staying with the times.
Devs are busy working getting features in osu!lazer implemented. When that's finished we will start seeing changes. Game development is not a fast process. It can be faster if there were more people helping out with the coding. iirc one of the biggest bottlenecks is lack of people to do code reviews. There are 97 pull requests lingering right now. 56 of them require reviews. 41 are waiting changes after review.