forum

Beatmap Spotlights (Summer 2020) - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loctav

The reworked Beatmap Spotlights are there!
The very first test run of the new system is currently underway and along with that a new collection of beatmaps to enjoy!

Did you know that the Top 10 of each lobby earn 1 week of osu!supporter?
You can also earn a unique profile badge, reflecting your performance amongst all others, too! And we update it weekly everytime you participate!

Playlist C & D lobbies are now open again!

They will close on September 11th 2020, 19:00 UTC!

Active Timeshift Lobbies

11.09.2020 19:00 UTC - 14.09.2020 19:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist C)
osu!taiko (Playlist C)
osu!catch (Playlist C)
osu!mania (Playlist C)

osu! (Playlist D)
osu!taiko (Playlist D)
osu!catch (Playlist D)
osu!mania (Playlist D)

Past Timeshift Lobby Listings

04.09.2020 18:00 UTC - 07.09.2020 18:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist A)
osu!taiko (Playlist A)
osu!catch (Playlist A)
osu!mania (Playlist A)

osu! (Playlist B)
osu!taiko (Playlist B)
osu!catch (Playlist B)
osu!mania (Playlist B)

28.08.2020 19:00 UTC - 31.08.2020 19:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist D)
osu!taiko (Playlist D)
osu!catch (Playlist D)
osu!mania (Playlist D)

21.08.2020 20:30 UTC - 24.08.2020 20:30 UTC
osu! (Playlist C)
osu!taiko (Playlist C)
osu!catch (Playlist C)
osu!mania (Playlist C)

14.08.2020 21:00 UTC - 17.08.2020 21:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist B)
osu!taiko (Playlist B)
osu!catch (Playlist B)
osu!mania (Playlist B)

07.08.2020 19:00 UTC - 10.08.2020 19:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist A)
osu!taiko (Playlist A)
osu!catch (Playlist A)
osu!mania (Playlist A)

31.07.2020 19:00 UTC - 03.08.2020 19:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist D)
osu!taiko (Playlist D)
osu!catch (Playlist D)
osu!mania (Playlist D)

24.07.2020 15:30 UTC - 27.07.2020 15:30 UTC
osu! (Playlist C)
osu!taiko (Playlist C)
osu!catch (Playlist C)
osu!mania (Playlist C)

17.07.2020 16:00 UTC - 20.07.2020 16:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist B)
osu!taiko (Playlist B)
osu!catch (Playlist B)
osu!mania (Playlist B)

10.07.2020 14:00 UTC - 13.07.2020 14:00 UTC
osu! (Playlist A)
osu!taiko (Playlist A)
osu!catch (Playlist A)
osu!mania (Playlist A)

SEASONAL TOP 50 LEADERBOARDS

Access here!

How do I participate?

Click me!
In order to join the timeshift lobbies, you have to download and install the newest osu!lazer client.

There, you can find the Multiplayer mode in the main menu under Play->Multi.

Once in the lobby selection, you can filter the lobbies by Spotlight lobbies.

Now you should only see Beatmap Spotlights lobbies. They have a pink color label in the listing, as well!

If you want to participate on the lobbies of another game mode, you can change the game mode at the top of the client,

You can learn more about the Beatmap Spotlights and the Seasonal League on our wiki article!

With the new-and-improved Beatmap Spotlights system come a lot of changes, features and rewards that are yet to be implemented and up to discussion.

You can leave your impressions, feedback and criticism in this thread, so we can shape this system into the best it can ever be.
Willy
I'll be the first to say that I really like this idea and it's cool to see a sort of spiritual successor to the monthly charts.

There's a few things that feel a little weird:

The lobby only being open for 2 days out of the week seems kind of pointless. I don't really see a problem with leaving the lobby open all week since it is timeshift and people have different availabilities so opening it up some more would entice more players to join in. I'm just not really sure why this limit is placed on the lobbies to begin with.

To a much lesser extent only being able to play through lazer isn't ideal for the average player. Though I understand it's the only client that has the timeshift feature lazer is still lacking in the skinning and gameplay regard (barely any skinning elements work) which is going to turn off a lot of players from competing in this at all. I'm personally fine with playing in lazer even though the skins not being close to looking like they do in stable does mess me up every now and then but it makes it feel like I'm playing something unfinished and not in a competitive capacity.

Finally, after reading the wiki it seems like the badges being temporary or permanent is undecided. My input here is just that the idea of temporary badges kind of defeats the purpose of giving out badges at all and takes away the weight of the reward. It's also strange having a temporary fixture mixed in with the permanent sort of trophy case on someone's profile. If it does end up being temporary I think it's better left in it's own category rather than with the badges, maybe even change the theme of the user's profile (foreground colors) to correspond to their division for that season.

If I see anything further after playing this Friday I'll leave some feedback here again. I hope this catches on though, the more ways to play the better!
qwt
I have some problems with it

making it only available on Lazer is instead Is a BIG Problem

I understand your making it on Lazer in hopes that more people will enjoy Lazer, Skin's barely works on Lazer especially for other game modes besides STD (Ctb,taiko,Mania) And std already feeling much diffrent and working diffrently on how it is on stable , other gamemodes feel and play 10x worse than STD already does on lazer

The lobby being open for only 2 days a week is a BIG problem too,People have work/school/and other things to do even if you move the 2 days to the weekend some people will still have problems again I understand trying to build up hype around those two days and trying to get as much people to join in as possible in those two days to bring more attention to your event but in reality it's just gonna backfire and annoy people who want to participate but can't,I suggest opening it up for 1 - 2 week's 24/7 so everyone get's a chance to play

Last thing I have to say is MAKE THE PROFILE BADGES PERMANENT,Trust me It'll bring more hype and player's to your event and make player's more determanied to play and overall will give the community satisfaction than dissapointment plus making them temporary will defeat the whole purpose of trying to compete,A thing I think you shoul add to the whole profile badge thing is the option to remove them,Let's say you have a newer/bad player if they compete and get the iron badge or in general any rank/amount of skill a player has might not be satisfied with there preformance and would not want a giant badge telling the community there skill level per say at that tournament

Overall seems like if you keep the event like this it will fail and bring negitive feedback
Pachiru
Giving badge to every participants kinda makes the badges less unique, I'd suggest allowing it from Gold or Platinum to really make it stand out. Also having the lobby being open only 2 days make it less accessible to everyone... Beside that I really like the idea of Playlists.
Hydria

Reforms Expert wrote:

Skin's barely works on Lazer especially for other game modes besides STD (Ctb,taiko,Mania)
From testing during initial playlist run-through, skinning for mania at least is in a really good spot, only needing minor adjustments to my current skin to match stable in terms of playability.
Mirthille
Really like the concept and how it will give more credit to the beatmaps spotlight, but to me giving badge to everyone could ruin some part of the tournament scene (I'm thinking of std's BWS that is used now pretty much anywhere)

An idea that I have for this is to limit who gets a badge (copper to gold imo don't really need it) but however make the top 50 badge permanent. Or if there's a way that the badge doesn't really count as one you get via tournaments it would be best for those organizers that use osu!'s API to get the BWS rank, thus I guess it wouldn't really matter if everyone who played is getting one or not.

Mirthille wrote:

giving badge to everyone could ruin some part of the tournament scene (I'm thinking of std's BWS that is used now pretty much anywhere)
its not automated so just disregard it when inputting your badges
qwt

Hydria wrote:

Reforms Expert wrote:

Skin's barely works on Lazer especially for other game modes besides STD (Ctb,taiko,Mania)
From testing during initial playlist run-through, skinning for mania at least is in a really good spot, only needing minor adjustments to my current skin to match stable in terms of playability.
Damn sure not the same for CTB I can't even use my own personal skin
Heist
Me personally I think that people should be able to keep their badges once they have received them. It's cool how badges are given out for this season, but I think everyone should be able to keep their badge to show their accomplishments. Overall it's a cool concept but there should be some changes for players to have a permanent badge.
Topic Starter
Loctav
We are seeking for a solution that allows you to decorate your profile permanently with your achievements. Whether or not we use badges, medals or a whole new thing for that is still not decided.

For now, the badges will remain temporary, simply because to avoid overbloating the current space on the profile page. However, we will backup all results and retrospectively award your profile decoration once we have found an appropriate solution to provide such.

On other news: Playlist B can now be found on the wiki page!
raiven
I wasn't really sure how spotlight like this will work but i'm really enjoying it right now. However, it still need some work. First, overall score and score from choosen map should be available for player, because right now there isn't any way to chceck it (only top 50). There are some problems with lazer too. I feel like it isn't optimalised well. Game isn't running smooth as std and it is laggy sometimes (my computer shouldn't have any problems with it).
Good luck with further work on this project :P
It's really great that there are still some interesting events happening in osu.
Topic Starter
Loctav
The Playlist B lobbies are now available for play! Check out the opening post to learn more!

We are also excited to tell you that we are already preparing the next season's selection. With that, we are also actively following your feedback and take it into consideration when developing this project onwards. Keep the feedback, opinions, suggestions and criticism coming, so we can improve this project further and further!
Topic Starter
Loctav
The Playlist C lobbies are now available for play! Check out the opening post to learn more!

Moreover, we have added the Seasonal Top 50 leaderboard for each game mode into the opening post. Also during the week, we have been distributing the supporter tags and the profile badges accordingly.

Let us know your opinion about the rewards, the beatmaps and the current league system!
- Marco -
When i select Spotlight like shown on the Original Post, it doesn't show the lobby but it's there like a normal lobby if i search the word spotlight.

Danny Carey
Alright, i'm going to be blunt and say the way this first season has been conducted so far is abysmal and we're only 3 weeks in. I agree this is to be expected from a 'test run', however bringing long-term and permanent rewards into this 'test season' should not have happened.

The main issue I want to address, and quite possibly the biggest issue, is the fact the playing field is not even fair anymore. On 24th July, 'gaining bonus scores from spinning a spinner' was implemented to the lazer build. This changed the fundamental scoring mechanics, meaning any scores set in the spotlight before this build are set on a different score system to the current build. This causes an array of issues, most notably the score no longer being capped at 1 million points. This means that if someone is only able to play the first round of playlist A in the spotlight, they are at a huge disadvantage as even if they SS'd every map and got the highest possible score at the time (5 million), someone in a later week can easily beat this score without even needing to SS every map. This also works in reverse, if the score system is changed again making it no longer possible to achieve the scores from a previous week, it becomes literally impossible to get #1 for a certain playlist.

A potential solution to this could be: if you want to change and test mechanics, keep them exclusive to each playlist. For example, only having spinner bonus score on playlist C, or only removing sliderend judgement on playlist A etc. However I think changing any mechanics at all mid-season is a bad idea for non test-runs.

I also want to address some things that have been said in reply to people being frustrated at the recent changes.

'do people just forget this is being run as a test trial for the new client' - no. we understand fully that this is a 'test run' however you've decided to bring permanent rewards into it, inherently making it much more competitive whether you want it to be. If you want it to not be competitive, don't use permanent rewards, offer supporter or something other similar.

'how does it differ from i.e. buffs/nerfs in a moba' - in situations like this, the results of previous matches arent changed by the new buffs/nerfs. With this situation, the scores people set in previous builds can be beaten by overwritten by scores set in the new builds, so these arent comparable.

To sum it all up, I think having permanent rewards for this current test season should not be a thing, especially after all the changes that have happened after the start. I think all the points i've mentioned should be taken into consideration for the next seasons so that stuff like this does not happen again.

If anyone from the osu team wants to discuss this further with me in a place more convenient than the forum, im more than happy to explain anything in more detail, although I think I explained it well enough already.
Alot
Kingling, I don't think anyone can go back and play in playlist A and/or B again, so whoever got the 5 million scores are safe from this new spinner bonus. Their score cannot be beaten since you can't submit plays for it.

For playlist C, even though the change is sudden, it is still fair game in my opinion since everyone have to deal with the spinner bonus whether they like it or not.

Hopefully, I'm not mistaken, but it seems like you are upset that someone can take your previous score, so I just wanted to clear that up.

No comments on the badges.
Danny Carey
I dont think you understand how the spotlights work, each playlist is played 3 times. So yes, people can play playlist A/B again. I'm not bothered that people can take my previous scores, what I am bothered by is that people can beat them on a score system which is much easier to get a higher score in than the one that was previously used.

With regards to playlist C, if every single playlist C was played on this score system and game mechanics then I agree its fair game. But peppy/the dev team have made it very clear that they intend to keep changing things since its a 'test run' and playlist C is played 3 times over the course of the season (about 3 months long).
Alot
Thanks for the information. You are rigth and I was wrong, I did not fully understand how spotlights work.

After seeing what you said, I read the wiki and saw the spotlights schedule. I take back what said and now agree with you that it is unfair to those who have tried to SS previously. I'm not going to say much else because you pretty much said it all. Hopefully they listen.
Danny Carey
It's all good, sorry if I come across as agitated, people have really been getting under my skin today. Glad you understand.
A potential solution to this could be: if you want to change and test mechanics, keep them exclusive to each playlist. For example, only having spinner bonus score on playlist C, or only removing sliderend judgement on playlist A etc. However I think changing any mechanics at all mid-season is a bad idea for non test-runs.
this.
show more