forum

Final Fantasy & Zelda series?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Clawsmash
Hello! I want to ask a question.

I want to start final fantasy series all over but i seriously do not know which game is the first, because instead of "final fantasy xI" or something, it haz a title. So ı'm confused.

Also, same thing for zelda. (playing ocerina of time atm but i guess that's not the first game)

thank you for your answers. :3
silmarilen
Topic Starter
Clawsmash

silmarilen wrote:

final fantasy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fi ... ideo_games
zelda: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend ... da#History
Thank you!
But is the release dates are storylines or like starwars, i have to do 1 2 3 (release date sooner) 4 5 6 (release date is way back)
silmarilen
for final fantasy you should look at the japanese release dates for the real order in which the games got released, the releases for the rest dont make sense
has
The FF games aren't related to each other (save for a few exceptions, like X and X-2), so you can play whichever you want first. Games with titles are usually side games, like Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus. (the former taking place before FFVII, and the latter after)

Can't say much about Zelda since I've only played one game.
Maraiga
Never played Final Fantasy but Zelda <3 uguu.
If you want to see the official timeline for zelda and play it that way, here~
http://puu.sh/1BDUV
LuigiHann
There are very, very few cases where it matters what order you play those games in. Every Final Fantasy game takes place in its own bubble universe, excluding the ones that are awkwardly distinguished as being direct sequels ("Final Fantasy Thirteen Two," etc.).

Zelda is pretty similar. They are all part of one (hilariously unclear) shared timeline, and each game that you play will enrich your understanding of the others, but each game has a story with its own beginning, middle and end, so the order is pretty much completely irrelevant.
Tetsu_old
You don't have to play FF in order, they aren't story related.
Hika
Some of the newer, current versions of FF include things mentioned from some of the earlier types of FF (i.e. the mention of crystals), they're related but it's not like you have to play them one by one to understand what's going on.

There's one thing though. Last I checked (don't attack me for this but i'm still a true fan ;-;), some of the FF games were classified into different types of FF themes such as Fabula Nova Crystallis which includes FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII Lightning Returns, Type-0, & FF Versus XIII (if it's ever released under that title at least).
has

Hika wrote:

Some of the newer, current versions of FF include things mentioned from some of the earlier types of FF (i.e. the mention of crystals), they're related but it's not like you have to play them one by one to understand what's going on.

There's one thing though. Last I checked (don't attack me for this but i'm still a true fan ;-;), some of the FF games were classified into different types of FF themes such as Fabula Nova Crystallis which includes FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII Lightning Returns, Type-0, & FF Versus XIII (if it's ever released under that title at least).
Yeah, there are some small things related, like the crystals or chocobos or summons, but they don't affect the story. The FNC games are connected in some way iirc, like the mention of Etro and L'Cie, but I believe the universe is complete different in each game.
Topic Starter
Clawsmash
I had no idea that all FF are in different dimensions. thx for your answers guys!! :D

*enlightened*
awp
Almost all FF games are in a shared universe, but a few are in a shared world.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Advance, Advance 2, Final Fantasy 12 and FF12 Revenant Wings all exist in a world called Ivalice.

FFX and FFX-2 (that's Ten Two, not Twelve) exist in a world called Spira.

Other than that I think they're pretty much all isolated.

Zeldas are the same story.

Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are one "series", Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks are another "series", Oracle of Ages and Oracle of seasons are a series.

the Four Swords games look like they also exist within a shared world

other than that, they're all pretty much 100% self-contained
Moriya Suwako
I started Final Fantasy 4 first.
For Zelda series...I only played one , <Ocarina of Time>.
Satyros
In the FF series the worlds are different with every part (except X, X-2 and XIII, XIII-2) while the Zelda series always has the same story (sure, a bit different every time, but in the end you are always doing the same)

I played FF VII, VIII, IX, X, XIII and XIII-2 (next FF should be like FF VII.. XIII and XIII-2 were cool, but not as cool as the previous parts ;w;)
And Zelda... i only played OOC yet, but i'm going to play the others too.
awp
For the first three generations, I thought the third game was the best

FF3 on NES, FF6 on SNES, FF9 on PSX. Since 9 though, FFX has probably been the best one overall (ie between FFX and FF13-2)
Satyros

awp wrote:

FFX has probably been the best one overall (ie between FFX and FF13-2)

I totally agree to that point. It still is my favourite FF game. I remember when i bought my PS2 and got FFX - it was awsome... until i got stuck on that one bossfight with Seymour on Mt. Gagazet ;w;
has
FFX is also my favourite, both for nostalgia factor and because it has one of the most beautiful stories I've ever seen in a videogame.
Aaand I'm willing to play IX since I mostly hear only good things about it.
Satyros
The story of FFIX is also awesome. If you are a FF fan, it's totally worth to play. :3
Elisha_old
If you only play one... Make it VII. Best FF game hands down.

F
Hika
I personally like FFV. It's the first FF I actually liked then it kept skyrocketing from there. I haven't played IX though; I plan on playing it pretty soon.
I think that FFX & FFXIII with their sequels are amazing. I have yet to see FFXIII Lightning Returns of course but the story line makes me cry every time I think about it. I think the most rewarding thing of Final Fantasy is the fact that everything is so realistic once you actually get into the game.
show more