forum

Dying with Hardrock while FCing

posted
Total Posts

Should all ranked maps ever come with exactly HP6?

Only HP6 and HP7
3.07%
Remove HP from the game
18.40%
Only HP5 and HP6
4.29%
No
68.71%
Yes
5.52%
Total votes: 163
show more
silmarilen

Tshemmp wrote:

The thing is, high drain isn't fun at all while high AR, CS and OD are. High drain is just furstrating. Why keep something which doesn't make fun.
the thing is high AR isn't fun at all while high drain, CS and OD are. High AR is just frustrating. Why keep something which doens't make fun.

see i can do that too
Topic Starter
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

the thing is high AR isn't fun at all while high drain, CS and OD are.
High drain is fun for you?
she_old
for some people it can be fun, adds a challenging factor

however if auto is unable to pass a map with hr then it's kinda stupid, though I only think mendes has that.
fartownik
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/20309 also this

There's a lot of maps that you have one chance in an hundred to pass with HR, even when some of them are pretty easy in general.
Topic Starter
Aqo
Also even if we ignore just the few maps that are completely impossible to HR, I'm pretty sure every single player who plays HR ever absolutely hates dying on slow parts of maps even while playing them perfectly accuracy included, or dying on spinners. This is just the opposite of fun and doesn't contribute anything to the gameplay of the mod.
JAKACHAN

Tshemmp wrote:

The thing is, low AR isn't fun at all while high AR, CS and OD are. Low AR is just furstrating. Why keep something which doesn't make fun.
So let's remove low AR then. AR automatically has to be at least 9 or a map can't be ranked.
Topic Starter
Aqo

JAKANYAN wrote:

So let's remove low AR then. AR automatically has to be at least 9 or a map can't be ranked.
There is one striking difference between: [AR, CS, OD] and [HP]
The prior all affect gameplay and, it makes sense that some people would like certain settings on them while others won't.
Meanwhile HP doesn't add anything to gameplay. At all. All it does it prevent you from playing. How is that any good?
JappyBabes

loseri wrote:

for some people it can be fun, adds a challenging factor

however if auto is unable to pass a map with hr then it's kinda stupid
truer words have never been spoken
JAKACHAN
I don't see how failing because you didn't have high enough acc to keep your HP up doesn't affect gameplay.

There are things that people don't like about this game that others do. You can't just say change it because a few people don't like it and as far as I'm concerned 78% of people have voted No while only 22% voted different.
Tidek

JAKANYAN wrote:

Honestly there are only a handful of maps unpassable with HR and those are from 2010 and before. If you can't pass a map nowadays with HR because of accuracy then you should practice HR more.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24611 2012 map, not impossible but the last spinner can fk up 95% HR FC plays, this is not fun at all. As i wrote before, remove hp drain difficulty in HR mode and all will be happy. :roll:
Zare

JAKANYAN wrote:

I don't see how failing because you didn't have high enough acc to keep your HP up doesn't affect gameplay.

There are things that people don't like about this game that others do. You can't just say change it because a few people don't like it and as far as I'm concerned 78% of people have voted No while only 22% voted different.
Yeah, because this poll is 100% serious. Especially since the poll itself isn't even about HR but about HP Drain in general.

I actually have to agree with Aqo here. The high Drain of HR is simply ANNOYING. I try to learn HR right now and probably I could sightread AR10 by now if it wasn't for the HP Drain killing me so often that I lose the motivation to continue practicing HR. <_<
Removing the higher Drain of HR wouldn't harm anyone. The challenge of the mod is still there, higher AR, OD and smaller circles.
AmaiHachimitsu
I was always motivated by the drain going down to play better, more adrenaline and eventually more fun.

protip: If you suck at HR, don't play HR

If you want to learn HR, play with no-fail or choose low-drain maps

As I've become over-average player I don't remember even glancing at the HP bar. Believe me I had the opportunities and reason to do so as I play mainly HR. Moreover when I fail a map while FCing it I'm not frustrated because of the drain but mine poor skill and everyone should feel the same way IMO.

There're cases like this or this but here you need to spin fast as hell. I regard spinning as a skill, so I can't see the space for complaints.
buny
Chances are if you die from drain it's a crappy score anyway.
Topic Starter
Aqo

buny wrote:

Not everybody is interested in retrying the same map until they get a score they want, some people just want to shuffle through maps and play for fun.
Alternatively, you could just look at it this way: drain is absolutely terrible for multiplayer. Take owc for example if you want.
she_old
to prevent retrying just use nofail
Anzo

Aqo wrote:

Sometimes it happens on 300combo
Sometimes it happens on 400combo ...I didn't notice combo as I play and fail with HR
Sometimes a sliderbreak is the villain Yes, especially in fast and long sliders
Sometimes it's during a slow part As always, sometimes will make your HP cut by half or quarter
Sometimes you're lesslunatic and you have 94%+ on the map with HRHD and still die on the last note despite FC Didn't experience this one
Sometimes it happens during a spinner. fuck that seriously. we can't all be DivX YES, and we can't all be SilviA
^those

I only play HR on hard maps because it is much higher than DT if you don't have a lot of 100s (since DT=1.12x and HDHR=1.1236x)
You have a higher chance of failing if you don't get a lot of 300s but it doesn't mean that you can't pass or FC a song, you can recover from a certain parts of the song like those 1/8 sliders, 1/4 streams and consecutive 1-combo notes...

Aqo wrote:

drain is absolutely terrible for multiplayer. Take owc for example if you want.
^yes, that feeling when you can't revive yourself because you can't make your HP bar full...

loseri wrote:

however if auto is unable to pass a map with hr then it's kinda stupid, though I only think mendes has that.
^REALLY?
buny

Aqo wrote:

buny wrote:

Not everybody is interested in retrying the same map until they get a score they want, some people just want to shuffle through maps and play for fun.
Alternatively, you could just look at it this way: drain is absolutely terrible for multiplayer. Take owc for example if you want.
play no fail then
Nyquill
Oh wow auto really does fail on mendes with hr.
she_old
game 2 hard pls nerf
Espionage724

Zarerion wrote:

JAKANYAN wrote:

...The high Drain of HR is simply ANNOYING. I try to learn HR right now and probably I could sightread AR10 by now if it wasn't for the HP Drain killing me so often that I lose the motivation to continue practicing HR. <_<
Removing the higher Drain of HR wouldn't harm anyone. The challenge of the mod is still there, higher AR, OD and smaller circles.
There's been times where I failed a song with HR just because of the drain, even if I didn't break combo. To go a bit more in-depth with this, if I have a 100x combo (and still increasing, no misses or breaks), and I start hitting 100's and a few 50's (but still never break combo), I'll still fail :/
Canneh
Heart of Witch, too.

Old maps though, so get over it. Accuracy is part of the game as already mentioned and I guess there's no need to discuss it lol.

SPOILER
Edit: If this map was mentioned already, I am not sorry since I didn't really bother reading the pages inbetween.
Kanye West

Espionage724 wrote:

There's been times where I failed a song with HR just because of the drain, even if I didn't break combo. To go a bit more in-depth with this, if I have a 100x combo (and still increasing, no misses or breaks), and I start hitting 100's and a few 50's (but still never break combo), I'll still fail :/
then don't get 50's and 100's. simple.
Espionage724

Kanye West wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

then don't get 50's and 100's. simple.
Ah, k.
winber1
Complains about HR and HP drain ----> INSTANT NOOB GG
Kanye West

winber1 wrote:

get moar acc n00b scrublordz
Tidek

Kanye West wrote:

winber1 wrote:

get moar acc n00b scrublordz
yup yup, especially on 'silent' 1 note per 2sec parts.
JappyBabes
ITT: People complain about failing with a mod that's evidently too hard for them and think they should be able to pass any map with low accuracy.
Pizzicato
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/42234

This map HR-proof

some maps aren't really made for HR.
Moway
If hard rock wasn't so hard rock I would be cookiezi

But really, as a bad player I enjoy the challenge of trying to pass maps since I'm not good enough to get good scores on anything. HP makes it fun for me in that way. Some maps are harder because of their HP drain, which is fine. As for Hard Rock, all aspects of the game are supposed to be harder so that includes HP.
Wishy

Pizzicato wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/42234

This map HR-proof

some maps aren't really made for HR.
Those are just maps with retarded spinners and unnecessary high HP drain. (Refering to that and AugoEides)

It is true some maps are retarded and HP Leech makes them just way too hard TO CLEAR because of dumb reasons, but hey that's mods fault since they should force them to change this. Either by removing 2 hour long spinners or lowering HP. Some mappers just like to make their maps less enjoyable. AugoEides is a great example of a map which is really fun on HR but pretty much impossible to pass unless you can spin 440 for a minute because happy30 just felt the map NEEDED TO HAVE HP 8 AND A MINUTE LONG SPINNER. Doesn't really matter anyways it just makes his own map worse, and people who enjoy it will play HR w/o giving a fuck about submitting, but if I was a mod I would never rank a map like that because really, it's ok to have some part where low acc can make you fail, but some cases are just dumb.

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/76880

Another example of unnecessary high HP drain and a spinner that pretty much forces you to fail unless you're really good at it. Wouldn't really hurt to change HP to 6 but yeah let's make it 8 because... yeah.
I think it should stay as it is. I suck at acc and can't pass most maps with HR, but all maps are passable with HR if you're good enough to get the necessary accuracy. and as accuracy is an important part of a rhythm game, I think it should be this way. /o/
she_old
If I can't pass I either nofail or multiplayer.

Wishy wrote:

AugoEides
Can't even pass that nomod due to the spinner ;_;
lolcubes

Wishy wrote:

happy30 just felt the map NEEDED TO HAVE HP 8 AND A MINUTE LONG SPINNER.
AugoEides has HP6 btw. Just saying.

Oh and http://osu.ppy.sh/s/15712 is kinda hard to pass with HR as well, if your acc sucks.
Thatgooey

JappyBabes wrote:

ITT: People complain about failing with a mod that's evidently too hard for them and think they should be able to pass any map with low accuracy.
Was about to post, and then saw you already took care of it.

If you have 95% acc playing hardrock, you aren't ready to rank hardrock. Changing numbers doesn't make you better, being better makes you better. Stop whining about how the "game is making me fail", when you are the one failing.
JappyBabes
Also, can all of you can stop talking about those maps that aren't passable with their respective HPs? If you lower the OD on Mendes from OD8 to OD7, auto passes with a nice amount of HP left but while we're at it, let's remove HP, OD and also allow AR/CS to be user defined.

kthx lock please.
Tanzklaue
highly theoretical question: if you would spin faster than auto does, I mean a lot faster, would you accelerate faster to 477 SPM on the spinner? if yes, wouldn't mendes then be possible if you have those insane spinning skills?
or with HR+DT, as that makes spinning a little bit easier/faster, then it should be possible aswell, shouldn't it?

on topic: HP drain is the accuracy-barrier, meaning that if you can't beat the drain, you are not good enough to pass the map the way the mapper wanted you to pass it. it means that you have to train your accuracy first before trying the map again.
just the typical "my acc is bad, but I want easy passes on all maps"-thread like we had them a couple of times in recent times.
Tshemmp
No seriously guys, please explain me the use of hp drain. And don't say "you don't deserve to get a high rank with low accuracy", the low accuracy itself will already place you lower.

Yes, I like high OD because it challenges my accuracy but I don't like failing maps although I did my best. I can't imagine any situation where high drain would be fun.
Kert
It feels great when you manage to survive
Topic Starter
Aqo

Tanzklaue wrote:

highly theoretical question: if you would spin faster than auto does, I mean a lot faster, would you accelerate faster to 477 SPM on the spinner? if yes, wouldn't mendes then be possible if you have those insane spinning skills?
I think the game is locked at 477spm. At least, the russian spin hack didn't beat it, and it's doubtful that a human hand can spin faster than that.
lolcubes

Aqo wrote:

I think the game is locked at 477spm. At least, the russian spin hack didn't beat it, and it's doubtful that a human hand can spin faster than that.
That didn't spin 477 from what I could have seen.
I remember there is one replay from one guy (I can't remember which map sadly) where he had constant 477 after spinning for like 2-3 seconds to gain momentum, and by the looks of the spinning it looked pretty legit.
show more