forum

blatant section copying

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
beatmapsets/1176385#osu/2453627

hi there so i'd like to discuss regarding low difficulty copying. for less patterned maps, this is no problem. however the hard diff i ended up making so far has these two choruses. so i made what ended up there. now, given that i should repeat ideas for similar sections, the only good way to do the part was literally to copy then make a 180 degree rotation. it gives me a bad aftertaste, but at the same time part of me says its fine. so: is this ok? is there a way not to do this? do you end up doing this?

if it comes down to it, im gonna use my idea for a less "copy" pattern but similar-ish.

thanks!

update post update
i feel the need to report what happened to my map.
in the first and last choruses i mapped, it said "jisei wa kimi da, zutto kimi da, zenbu kimi da, ai no iro da." copied that general idea except in the last i had to make room for the synth drop.
in the middle, "kiero, zenbu kiero." thats where i changed a bit.

anyway, i copied similar vocals. and where there are differences in vocals, only the placement is changed.
Asphiee
well i could only say 50-50. copying section is a good way to be consistent with the action in a similar section but it kinda kills some of your creativity although there's visual pleasure behind it. personally i dont copy paste that much.
lewski

renzthegreat wrote:

now, given that i should repeat ideas for similar sections, the only good way to do the part was literally to copy then make a 180 degree rotation.
How'd you come to that conclusion? Flipping a pattern can and will change how it plays and how it represents the song, so I'd think long and hard before copying an entire section. In my experience, it's also really easy to notice, even in gameplay, and it looks pretty lazy. You'll get better results by taking the ideas you used in the first iteration of that section and executing them differently; that's how you create progression.
Asphiee
yess that
the flipping thing is just straight up laziness
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
trying to change it up a bit. thanks.
Endaris
Think about it, the artist also blatantly copied that part over to extend the song!
Repitition is very attractive to a listener and of course also to the player!
There are some beatmaps that are basically entirely made up of repeating the same pattern, for example this one.
Is it very interesting?
Probably not.
Does the song offer much more choices?
Not really.
Is it bad?
No.

Due to the nature of repitition in music and the resulting repitition in rhythm that you will have in your beatmap, it is often worthwhile to spend more time on making the first pattern good and then copy it over. Every pattern can be used at least twice before it becomes boring to the player and in many cases a lot more often.

Copying the general but not exact rhythm and the hitsounds is almost always better than trying to come up with something completely different to what you used earlier. That is because something completely different will feel too alien. Exact rhythm and placement can still vary but even there repitition can feel good. Personally I like to copy over 1 combo at a time and then arrange it based on the current playfield situation, perhaps with a rhythm variation.