forum

Higher FPS?

posted
Total Posts
show more
GoldenWolf
I remember once I got mad because of too many 100s (like 90% on map I could SS), I played 30mins like that and right before giving up, I noticed I was in 60fps mode ...
So yeah, it's a big difference. I usually run on unlimited @ 1k fps.
RaneFire

Nitori wrote:

I've heard some people say they prefer playing on FPS upwards into the hundreds. I have a low-end PC so I can only play at 60 FPS. Is there a gameplay advantage using higher FPS besides just smoother graphics?
If your pc can barely achieve 60 fps, you're going to get stutter, this will affect your gameplay because your graphics card will not be sending frames at the same intervals each time.

If you have a 60hz LCD, you don't need more than 120fps for a smooth experience. The frame "render and hold" time on an 60hz LCD is still 16.67ms, which means at worst, it will hold a frame that is only 8.33ms ahead the previous one, as opposed to 16.67ms, which means you saw 1 frame out of the whole lot appearing out of sync. You still only see them 16.67ms apart if you have a standard 60hz LCD.
If you have a 120hz LCD or a CRT - GO HIGH FPS: 240 to 300 for optimal comfort. The eye can discern quite well in a fast changing environment, commonly referred to as "fluidity."

That MSI afterburner test is just a reflection of the time between frames sent from the graphics card, measured from the graphics card, based completely on your fps (still the graphics card), it's not harmful latency, it's normal behaviour. Latency would imply that the frames were delayed to a point where they are appearing so late that they give the appearance of input lag, and this is not caused by your fps setting. If you're having any trouble with latency from 60 fps, it's most likely your graphics card causing the stutter. Then I would recommend you play on 120fps or unlimited, and set your pre-rendered frames / flip-size queue to a setting that it does not cause this.

As for my pc, I have an old LCD that supports 75hz, I play fine on 60fps and 120fps, and prefer 120 fps because it actually hovers at around 145-150 at that limit. But my card hates rendering 2500 fps and I get huge stutter/random latency on unlimited, because it's picking frames to hold from a random selection of frames that is jumping between 1800 and 2500+ depending on what's being drawn, each one a different interval apart, and my graphics card is obviously not doing something right either. It depends on your pc (graphics card and monitor mostly).
Topic Starter
Nitori
So if I can only hold 60 fps, that means I'm at a disadvantage for now, huh? =/ Well, I'll have to hope I get a new computer soon then...
GoldenWolf
Playing at 60fps is clearly a disadvantage. Not really on easy maps though, more on hard ones
120fps or more is really fine to play the game normally
[Rdyjin]
I play Taiko.

60 frames per second is suicide on that mode. I use 120 fps and I STILL encounter maps where the notes more or less just warp across, instead of slide across.
Thatgooey
My accuracy takes a very noticeable dip running 60fps compared to 120 or higher. Sometimes I accidentally press the button to turn on vsync (force 60fps), and I start getting hundreds all over the place, and my game feels choppy. Usually takes me a minute to realize it, and I change it back. Definitely does make a difference.
chelly
On my system, FPS doesn't seem to affect anything but my cursor speed. 60 FPS seems to reeeaaallly slow it down. On 120 it's a little less noticeable but becomes a bother on 5 star maps. I usually stick to the Unlimited Always option and get around 300 to 400 FPS.
TinyBatman-_-
I usually get between 3000 and 5000 fps, but I want to get it higher, any ideas?
TakuMii

TinyBatman-_- wrote:

I usually get between 3000 and 5000 fps, but I want to get it higher, any ideas?
There's no reason why you'd even run it beyond 500 let alone 5000 (aside from bragging rights, but that's besides the point)... you're already overworking your GPU with no actual benefit.
xasuma
If you dont play at fullscreen, try it. That most likely will increase your fps count.
Noobsicle

TinyBatman-_- wrote:

overclock your cpu/gpu

pretty useless though
Karuta-_old_1
200 - 400 fps is a good number for me, since the input latency for 400 fps is just 1 ms. Usually I limit my FPS for consistency using Dxtory.
Anything lower will give me a headache seeing how slowly my cursor is following my movements

It's less noticeable if you play with the mouse though, since I actually played better with 60 FPS on hard songs (that was 4 years ago)
iderekmc

TinyBatman-_- wrote:

what gpu do u have?
theLiminator
I find that I get input lag if I play in windowed mode, at least it feels like I have some. I play without a frame cap, though really, with a refresh rate of 60hz, I shouldn't really notice any difference. In general, I don't find the low refresh rate too distracting, I also play stepmania, and I can definitely tell that my refresh rate is low, I play with a speed modifier that makes the notes look like they're teleporting.
Coffee Hero

theLiminator wrote:

I find that I get input lag if I play in windowed mode, at least it feels like I have some. I play without a frame cap, though really, with a refresh rate of 60hz, I shouldn't really notice any difference. In general, I don't find the low refresh rate too distracting, I also play stepmania, and I can definitely tell that my refresh rate is low, I play with a speed modifier that makes the notes look like they're teleporting.
Is that with aero on ? if you use the basic windows theme there is a lot less input lag.
GoldenWolf

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

200 - 400 fps is a good number for me, since the input latency for 400 fps is just 1 ms.
It's 2.5 though
Doesn't really make any difference anyway, anything over 120 is good enough
theLiminator
Hmm yeah, I do have aero on. But when I play fullscreen, I don't feel like I have input lag.
GoldenWolf

theLiminator wrote:

But when I play fullscreen, I don't feel like I have input lag.
And that's perfectly normal
kanadepop
mm...y pensar que todo este tiempo estuve jugando con la opción mas baja de FPS...a partir de ahora tendré en cuenta los FPS :/
Sandy Hoey
3 years old
Disillusionz
How do people even find these threads?
KupcaH
+1 postcount
kai99

SirOxorsid wrote:

How do people even find these threads?
google helps a lot at finding these
Sympact
poop