forum

dash practice

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tsyun
I'm relatively new to ctb and I find it hard to know exactly when to dash, how to dash multiple times in a row, and how to switch directions fast. I understand I haven't put enough time into the game and I should, "just play more" but, I'm just looking for more tips or maps to help specifically with getting used to dashing

(any other help or criticism I could use as a new ctb player is welcome)
[Eun]
I'll try my best to answer this but it might just come off as a long-winded indirect typical 'play more' response to some extent so sorry if it comes off that way ;w;

For me how to know when is a good time to dash is when I see the distance between one fruit and another and feel like I will probably not make it to the next one if I just walk. This comes with practise and experience that slowly just becomes like muscle memory after a while. I guess you can try to do a slow method of elimination for maps and like try walking from one fruit to another and if you miss you just note to yourself 'I gotta dash there' or something like that? It's really just intuition and reaction speed for me which is pretty related to reading. Really knowing when to dash just comes with patience and practise. Dash when you really feel insecure about the next note that's coming being catchable by walking? I hope this makes sense in a way

I don't understand what you mean by how to dash multiple times in a row. I think I'm answering wrong but based on how I interpret this: Just press the dash key a few times in a row. Timing it is directly related to the above chunk of text. All based on reading how fast the thingies come down and stuff

For speed training and getting used to direction changing play harder stuff that force you to do more of those direction changes. I feel like the way I somewhat improved faster is by pushing the limits of my abilities and forcing the change and muscle memory + reading? The first step is usually painful and long but it should be more smooth sailing after figuring out timing.

I don't know if this helps but I really hope my long winded explanations my opinion can be of some help at all T-T
I CAN FC
force yourself not to use dash as much as possible
and if you thought this cant catch, it mean you need dash

"dash multiple times in a row" i dont know what mean, i guess is jump
to me, i just move to right then left, its always just right
if you dash too much, you need stop to wait the fruit then move again
if you too late, it mean you move too slow after catch it

but the timing(i mean move), all i can say "just play more"
sometime watch exgon replay, i find he just move but i must dash wtf
Hydreigon
Alright, I'll try to give some helpful tips,

tsyun wrote:

I find it hard to know exactly when to dash
Basically, like what the others are saying, you need to dash whenever your catcher "can't catch the fruit" because its too far, most easy diff maps (such as Cup diff) you don't really need to dash, but once you reach more hard maps, you'll start to realize dashing will become very important. When you start out ctb, you firstly need to know how "fast" your catcher would go when you dash, kind of like how fast your cursor goes in std, this takes some practice, but eventually, your brain will be like "ah, i now know how fast i go when i dash." and you'll then start to dash more comfortably.

tsyun wrote:

how to dash multiple times in a row
do you mean something like this?

If so, then you don't really need to worry about it since you just started ctb and you can play easy diff maps, again once you learned how to dash, and you start playing hard maps, your brain will be like "ah i need to dash 2 times now" or something like that. There are two ways to dashing multiple times, 1. being pressing the dash button repeatedly, number 2. holding the dash button, number 2 isn't really the best way on dashing multiple times, and it could be hard to catch fruits, but it could be very helpful in harder maps. The best way to practice this is to find a jumpy map with an AR you are comfortable with (mostly ctb maps, since they have lots of jumps)

tsyun wrote:

how to switch directions fast
Again, you probably mean something like this

Changing directions while dashing very fast is tough, the best way to master this is to be able to read the AR you consider "fast", Once you mastered that you should be able to read the patterns quickly and be able to change direction quickly
-
Anyways i hope this helps! Good luck on your journey on becoming a ctb pro player :D