forum

[osu!catch] Mystery Tournament

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wesley

Hello and welcome to the very first iteration of the osu!catch Mystery Tournament! This tournament is slightly different from your usual tournament.
It will be a Team versus Team tournament, where each team can have a total of 4 players. The playing format will be 2 vs 2.
The mappools will remain a mystery to the players until they are in the match, meaning that this tournament will be all about sight reading. Mappools will remain unique such that there can be no advantage gained by having a match later in the day than other matches. Once inside the match, team captains will utilize a bot command to have a map randomly selected from a desired mod pool (ex: !pick hd). There will be no bans, but rolls will still be used to determine which team gets to pick first.

General rules
  1. The score used in this tournament will be ScoreV2.
  2. Teams will be matched up through seeding in the group stage. The group stage will consist of team pools of 4.
  3. If a team is 10 minutes late for a match, they will be disqualified for that match and lose by default.
  4. If a team does not contain enough players to play a match (2 players), the opposing team will win the match.
  5. Please refrain from using offensive words in your team name as this can lead to disqualification. Names will be checked by our various staff members, so using a lesser known language won’t work.
  6. Commentators aren't allowed to bad-mouth players in any given scenario, if they do, please report this to one of the tournament hosts.
  7. If a player in your team decides to name-change after signing up to the tournament or mid tournament, notify Wesley about this change or that player will not be able to partake in the next match
In-game rules
  1. You are allowed to switch players in between maps.
  2. You cannot nullify a beatmap under any circumstance.
  3. A map can only be retried when something hindering happens (such as a disconnect) in the first 20 seconds of that map. This is only allowed once per match for each team.
  4. If the whole team dies in a match, the opposing team wins that map by default
  5. Since all the mappools are basically a mystery, neither team will be getting any bans.
  6. As for rolls, the team that won the roll can decide whether they want the first pick or if the opposing team gets the first pick.
  7. Always remember that this is just a game (I.e behave yourself)
  8. If neither team has enough players to conduct the match a roll will be done to determine the match’s winner
Mod rules
  1. There are 5 NoMod, 3 Hidden, 3 HardRock, 3 DoubleTime and 1 Tiebreaker map (more information about the mappool below)
  2. The Tiebreaker will be played with either NoMod or Hidden. Any other mods are NOT allowed.
  3. When picking either DoubleTime or HardRock maps, you are allowed to pick Hidden alongside
  4. You are not allowed to pick a map from the same mod pool twice in a row.
  5. NoFail is allowed to be picked alongside any mod.

As stated before, the mappool contains 5 nomod, 3 hidden, 3 hardrock, 3 doubletime and 1 tiebreaker map. Since this is a sightread tournament, we wanted to strive to keep all the maps original for every single match. Therefore we will be creating one big mappool with a bunch of maps, so that every single match has maps that haven’t been played before in a prior match or future match in the tournament.

So let’s take the group stage as an example.
The group stage will be Best of 5. Assuming we will have 24 matches (16 teams), we will need a total of 48 nomod, 48 hidden, 48 hardrock, 48 doubletime and 24 tiebreakers.

Now because normal mappools usually have different categories such as 4 specifics (tech, consistency, low ar, high ar, etc.) and 2 converts, we will have those categories as well.
Every single bracket will be divided in an X amount of categories (tech, consistency, low ar, convert 1, convert 2, etc.).
When your team picks from a mod bracket, it will first roll for a category. Once the category has been picked, the same category won’t be able to be rolled on in the current match. When the map has been picked from that category, it will be removed “forever” from the mappool. This way the picked map won’t be able to show up in any of the future matches. Not only this, but now you won’t be able to get lets say 4 convert maps in a row because you somehow lucked out with rolling.

Date when the registration will be closed: 01/06/2020 (dd/mm/yyyy).
After this date we will send in all the users that signed up to get screened. This will take up a couple of days (staff said approximately 2 days), after this period you’ll have until 12/06/2020 to replace the potential users that are not allowed to play with other users.
The final date to replace team members will be 12/06/2020 (dd/mm/yyyy).

If we do not comply with this the tournament will not receive a badge.
See Tournament screening for more information.

In order to register, visit https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-4smgjRrj0EmViE_hJaYoKnH2JaqKgOs8wxouQixwKjndgg/viewform and fill in the fields.

Signing up through the forum post will be ignored.

Your team must consist of at least 2 players, the last 2 players are optional although highly recommended.

A total of 16 teams are allowed to participate, anyone can register but once we go over 16 teams only the teams with the highest average pp will be able to partake in the tournament.

Note

Due to the amount of teams already signed up (way above we actually expected) we are strongly considering going with a RO32 instead of RO16 (double elimination starting from RO16 onward), to let 32 teams play instead of the stated 16 teams. Make sure to sign up before 01/06/2020 (dd/mm/yyyy) so we know what to do with the brackets and mappool!

We are still unsure what we will be doing when we don't reach 32 teams, whether that be a Qualifier stage (unsure how we will be handling the mappool for qualifiers, regular mappool or a Mystery mappool per timeslot), cut off the teams or just let a few teams pass to the RO16 by default.

Now that we have 31 teams, we will be going with 32 teams instead of the stated 16!
Because of this the new cutoff is now at 32 teams!

You are allowed to change team members until the registration closing date.
Note: You need to fill in at least 2 players in order to register a team. You can freely change your team members until 01/06/2020.
If you want to change anything, make sure to send a new message to Wesley#2772 on Discord.

After you registered your team, feel free to join our Discord server. Any information regarding the tournament will be posted there.

All dates are in (dd/mm/yyyy) format.

Closing date for the registration phase: 01/06/2020
Final date to replace members because of the screening: 12/06/2020
Live Drawings: 13/06/2020
Group stage: 20/06/2020
Future dates after the group stage will be announced on discord.

1. A badge for the team that gets first place - the design will be announced later.
  2. Sponsored by Snowleopard
  3. First placing team: 6 months of supporter
  4. Second placing team: 4 months of supporter
  5. Third placing team: 2 months of supporter
If anyone is willing to help out with sponsoring in any way, feel free to hit either Snowleopard or Wesley up.

We are still looking for referees, commentators and streamers. If you are interested send a pm to Snowleopard on osu! (click me) or on Discord: OG Name#0001
Billieilish
first
Baron
Meowning! :3/
Team name: fat boing boing monkey
Captain: Me
Members: Josh, Monkey, Wesley
Timezones: We live in Europe.

:3/
Topic Starter
Wesley

Baron wrote:

Meowning! :3/
Team name: fat boing boing monkey
Captain: Me
Members: Josh, Monkey, Wesley
Timezones: We live in Europe.

:3/
this team is gonna win
Maririn
Interesting tournament.
Vaf
Pogu
GinIkari
I hope its gonna be a good tourney ^^
DataPata
Pog
Tomato
Gaming
eldnl
I think you should give more time to register, if you delay the tournament a week, then I think I can join safely :c
Snowleopard

eldnl wrote:

I think you should give more time to register, if you delay the tournament a week, then I think I can join safely :c
Tournament doesn’t start until a week after CWC ends (this was intentional to allow those in CWC to still play). Unless there’s some other conflict possibly preventing you from playing.
Shurelia
wtb someone who'd carry me
Nikolai
nice
Topic Starter
Wesley
Due to the amount of teams already signed up (way above we actually expected) we are strongly considering going with a RO32 instead of RO16 (double elimination starting from RO16 onward), to let 32 teams play instead of the stated 16 teams. Make sure to sign up before 01/06/2020 (dd/mm/yyyy) so we know what to do with the brackets and mappool!

We are still unsure what we will be doing when we don't reach 32 teams, whether that be a Qualifier stage (unsure how we will be handling the mappool for qualifiers, regular mappool or a Mystery mappool per timeslot), cut off the teams or just let a few teams pass to the RO16 by default.

Now that we have 31 teams, we will be going with 32 teams instead of the stated 16!
Because of this the new cutoff is now at 32 teams!

Also 5 more days until the registration closes, make sure to register your team if you haven't done so already :3/
lineqtxz
lf team :<
Henrick
lft for just having fun.
Vito79
Looking for a team, ehe that's a joke.

Unless?
Minalinsky-
Looking for a team, well i'm in the end of registration hahaha