forum

The Editor's Massive Flaw

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Orcaaa
The osu editor is by no means the worst creation software around. It has great features, the slider algorithm is easy to work with, and making maps is very streamlined.

However, there is one MASSIVE oversight in the editor.

You see, you can Press CTRL + A to select all. You can also press to CTRL + LClick to individually select multiple notes at once. However, there is one feature here that is missing.

For those of you who often manage and organize files in your file explorer of choice, you may have used a combination of buttons that allow you to select every file in between two files you chose. The combination is known as Shift + LClick, and it is integral in allowing you to quickly and precisely select a large group of files in a short amount of time.

However, the osu editor seems to lack this function, only allowing you to painstakingly select EVERY SINGLE NOTE, ONE BY ONE.

Please Peppy, I hereby plead with you to add this very basic function into the editor, so I (And many others) don't have to spend hours flooding our houses with tears of pain and agony.

Thank you for reading.
Nao Tomori
u can just drag across the time line to select in a region tho, its not much slower than shift clicking the start and end
Zelzatter Zero

xxOrcaxx wrote:

Please Peppy, I hereby plead with you to add this very basic function into the editor, so I (And many others) don't have to spend hours flooding our houses with tears of pain and agony.
I can't take the rest seriously after reading this...

Anyway, as Nao said, you can drag your mouse in the timeline or the editor directly to select a group of objects. We barely use that with the large amount so Shift seems useless here.

Also, peppy doesn't forget. You can hold Shift + Left click to select red/green lines (inherited/uninherited timing points) in the Timing Panel.
Chiru-kun
what he probably means is that doing so for notes requires a very roundabout method. i kinda agree. the roundabout method would be to make an unnecessary green line to use up arrow with while holding the mouse on the timeline. this is easy GIVEN there are no other green lines in between. so this is not as plausible in the late stages of a map in some cases.

Nao Tomori wrote:

u can just drag across the time line to select in a region tho, its not much slower than shift clicking the start and end
not easy when the section to copy is large. ends up cramped with timeline zoom out.
Zelzatter Zero

renzthegreat wrote:

what he probably means is that doing so for notes requires a very roundabout method. i kinda agree. the roundabout method would be to make an unnecessary green line to use up arrow with while holding the mouse on the timeline. this is easy GIVEN there are no other green lines in between. so this is not as plausible in the late stages of a map in some cases.

Nao Tomori wrote:

not easy when the section to copy is large. ends up cramped with timeline zoom out.
I see.

But the thing is, holding Shift enables Grid Snap temporarily, and to make it even worse, some/most mappers have been being used to that already, removing Shift at this point really somehow break their workflow and I have no idea if they can stand pressing T over and over again to turn it off then turn on again.

tbh, at this point, just use your mouse.

PS: Also bookmark is a thing too. You don't have to add a green line to do that.
Chiru-kun

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

PS: Also bookmark is a thing too. You don't have to add a green line to do that.
friend, unfortunately when we bookmark, we travel through ctrl+arrow right? but when selecting an object, this command instead moves the object by pixels.
Zelzatter Zero

renzthegreat wrote:

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

friend, unfortunately when we bookmark, we travel through ctrl+arrow right? but when selecting an object, this command instead moves the object by pixels.
so that means we can't even do anything rn to fix this. Hope peppy will see this and do something to lazer soon.

Edit: Actually I've just found out how to select the group of objects with bookmarks, just drag your mouse in the timeline but make sure that you don't select any object, and then teleport (!) to another one with Ctrl + Arrow.
lewski
click and hold on top timeline -> right click on bottom timeline

no bookmarks or green lines required
Topic Starter
Orcaaa

Nao Tomori wrote:

The fact that I never tried this genuinely hurts. Thank you.
Chiru-kun

lewski wrote:

click and hold on top timeline -> right click on bottom timeline

no bookmarks or green lines required
oh i see. hard to make up at first. thanks!
Asphiee
Everyone just forget how agonizing the song setup is? like if you finished a whole set and just had a typo in the metadata and you have to manually correct it one by one?
lewski
ur talking about forgetting as if the topic was ever anything more general than selecting objects lol
Asphiee
right right
lmao
Chiru-kun
*laughs in mapping tools*
DeletedUser_6709840

Asphyre wrote:

Everyone just forget how agonizing the song setup is? like if you finished a whole set and just had a typo in the metadata and you have to manually correct it one by one?
Literally, you can copy-paste what you applied in one diff to the .osu file of each diff. It's not that hard