forum

Video Games with Lighthouses in them

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Because I want to make a calendar of some sort. I'm looking for large screenshots with as little UI and as few characters visible as possible. Just landscapes, like one might see in a photo calendar of actual lighthouses.

Please only post screenshots that you take yourself, so I can credit you if I use them.

Here are some that I have so far:

realMyst:

Samorost 2:

Dear Esther:

To The Moon:

The Five Cores:

If somebody could provide nice, similar screenshots of the lighthouses in The Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine, that would be lovely, as well as any others that I haven't thought of.

Edit: This thread has a bunch of examples of lighthouses in games, but I'd like new screenshots when possible
Vext_old
Only one that popped into my head was Half-Life 2.

Kanye West
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Vext wrote:

Oh that's lovely. Can you go inside the lighthouse in the game?

That Pokemon lighthouse is silly
Lybydose
World of Warcraft has multiple lighthouses. I don't have an active subscription to the game, so I can't take any screenshots though.

EDIT: Guild Wars 2

lolcubes
I suppose old games with 2D interface (bird's eye POV) is a no in this case?
Hiryuu_old
Some Worms games have had Lighthouses as a part of the foreground and background, I've got no worms games installed unfortunately so I can't show previews.
awp
hey LH I could build a lighthouse in Minecraft and take a screenshot of that. Would that work for you?
adam2046

LuigiHann wrote:

Vext wrote:

Oh that's lovely. Can you go inside the lighthouse in the game?

That Pokemon lighthouse is silly
I also thought of HL2, but I'm an hour late because I had too much fun playing HL2...
So here's a bunch more shots in case you want to get off on them or something http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... reenshots/
Yes, you go inside and fight an airship.

There's another lighthouse outside the hotel in GTA Vice City, but I don't have that on PC.
Rantai

World of Tanks, Cliffs.

Edit: Lol cursor, I'll replace it later.
adam2046
Oh there's also the lighthouse right at the start of Bioshock if anyone has that.
Edit: http://www.giantbomb.com/lighthouse/93-799/?page=1
Lybydose
Yeah I'm installing Bioshock right now just to get that one.

EDIT: Bioshock

blissfulyoshi
I don't know where you would get a decent pic, but every golden sun game revolves around lighthouses.
Vext_old
Just remembered Beyond Good and Evil. Completely forgot they live in a damn lighthouse lol.

Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Could anybody get me a good shot of the lighthouse from wind waker? Preferable a first-person shot where the UI isn't obscuring anything
Mianki
Lighthouse from Alan Wake:
theowest
Grim Fandango!

The first one is the only one I'd imagine usable, but it still contains a character.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

theowest wrote:

I actually like this one. Did you take these? The backgrounds are static so if you move the character away from that spot I could composite the images together to isolate the background.

Somebody pleeeease make me Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine pictureeees
awp
how far into the game is the wind waker lighthouse and would a picture of a TV screen be acceptable?
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

awp wrote:

how far into the game is the wind waker lighthouse and would a picture of a TV screen be acceptable?
The lighthouse is actually the windmill/ferris wheel after you hit it with a fire arrow or something. So however long it takes to get to have a fire arrow. It's been a long time since I've played it.

And no a photo of the TV screen wouldn't really work for me. I like the idea of doing it with a GC emulator because it'd be so clean and high-res. A direct feed screenshot from the TV would be okay if somebody had one of those video adapters, but an emulated shot like this would be so much more awesome
awp
oh man that is gorgeous

yeah wow how old is that game? And it still looks amazing
Lybydose
Windwaker graphics scale very well to any large resolution, so you can play it at any massive resolution it was never intended for and it looks amazing. The sprites not so much so, as seen in the UI.
theowest
I took it from a YouTube video. If you have time, I could ask someone with the game to take a screenshot of it.
awp
I have the game; if anyone has a save file I can take pix. Or maybe use a walkthrough? I'm bad at those kinds of games
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

awp wrote:

I have the game; if anyone has a save file I can take pix. Or maybe use a walkthrough? I'm bad at those kinds of games
Check these out http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/469050 ... aker/saves
theowest
Year two, lighthouse http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=saves

edit:thought you meant grim fandango ;_;

edit: yay
ColdTooth
I'll gather some cool lighthouses from WoW

Westfall (Southwestern part of Westfall, called the Westfall Lighthouse

Gilneas (Theres two of them)

Northwestern part of Gilneas

Southeastern part of Gilneas

Dustwallow Marsh (This one seems to surround Theramore Isle.)

All I can find for now
awp
I did mean Grim Fandango. Though I wouldn't mind getting a Dolphin emulator up and running for potential stream purposes, so I might look into that.

I'll get the Grim Fandango lighthouse pix shortly

EDIT: I actually can't install Grim Fandango on a 64-bit windows machine; SETUP won't launch. I'll have to run it on my old XP machine, and that'll take more effort (I keep it inside a cupboard where the CD tray won't open)

EDIT EDIT: Neither of the CD drives on my old computer work now

why is this so difficult

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Okay it's actually impossible by default on x64 but the Internet saves the day again idk how long this'll take but I'll get there

TADAA

South
Wind Waker!
Lybydose
World of Warcraft

Gilneas lighthouse:
EDIT: Apparently the actual name is "Galewatch Lighthouse"

Stormwind lighthouse:

Here's the first one again from a different angle:

awp
okay LH I can't get you the Fallout 3 lighthouse after all, I got the game working again but it unhooks input every 3-10 minutes which requires a force-quit and restart to resolve which makes the game p much unplayable

if anyone has FO3 and the DLC for it (the one with the tribals that you take the ferry to get to) there's a lighthouse there
Rantai
FFXIV: Oschon's Torch

Figured I grab this before the servers shut down for good.
ColdTooth
lol lyby i already have some. Also, didn't see a lighthouse in stormwind. Must be a good catch. Or I play on horde side
Lybydose
except that your screenshots are pictures of what appears to be a blood elf paladin, not lighthouses.
rust45
Heard you wanted some pictures of the lighthouse from Wind Waker? Dolphin is on the way to help!

WARNING: Huge images.

Also, if you want images of the lighthouse during day, I have pictures of those too.

I also went a little overboard and made a lot of wallpapers, if anyone wants a link to album, just ask me.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Hooray! Thank you.

I want a link to the album!

If you could get a nice shot of the lighthouse in Super Mario Sunshine, I could use that one too. If not, that's fine, the Wind Waker one is the one I was really hoping for. In any case, now I think I'll be able to make my calendar in time for the new year!
rust45
http://imgur.com/a/jOq66

I could try to get the lighthouse in Sunshine, I'm sure sunshine would look just as good in dolphin. I probably won't be able to do it without Mario in the picture, so I'll have to work at it.
Shiro
I made a lighthouse in Minecraft. I can take a picture of it for you if you want.

Here's a video in case you're interested:

theowest
Looks more like a Church in a way.
Shiro
The golden thing at the top was my mom's idea when we (with my little brother, who helped build this) showed her the lighthouse. She thought it'd be a nice addition.
silmarilen
isnt there a lighthouse in fable 1 somewhere near the end?
Elisha_old

theowest wrote:

Grim Fandango!

The first one is the only one I'd imagine usable, but it still contains a character.

Yay, grim fandango! <3
I love the classic adventure games :)
Satyros
Alan Wake:

Left 4 Dead:

I think this one is not good enough because of the low quality and the visible main character, but it was the first one i thought about while reading the post.
Golden Sun:
Stefan
Minecraft, I've got at my Multiplayer World two Lighthouses. lol

awp
...is your Minecraft skin MISSINGNO.?
Stefan
Yes.

lolcubes
Finally got a working copy of IWD2 and here's the lighthouse as promised.

Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Came out pretty nice
ColdTooth

LuigiHann wrote:

Came out pretty nice

Nice picture.

Also, I'm going to play a crapton of games. If I find any lighthouses, I'm taking a picture of them in steam.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Thanks! I might eventually start a tumblr or something, so more pictures will always be welcome