forum

My first mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kuruboi
Hi, I would like to hear your honest opinion about my map (still working on it) : beatmapsets/1160604#osu/2421483. Do I need to change something? Thanks for answering.
I feel like something is missing idk what.
Serizawa Haruki
It's probably more effective if you try to post your map in someone's modding queue in this subforum: community/forums/60
Mister

Azary-san wrote:

Hi, I would like to hear your honest opinion about my map (still working on it) : beatmapsets/1160604#osu/2421483. Do I need to change something? Thanks for answering.

Need to change something... for what? For reaching the ranked section? Well, the timing is completely wrong, the rhythm choice is a mess, the intensity of the map does not reflect the intensity of the song, there are no hitsounds, some objects are starting at the same time as slider ends, the mapset requires a spread of at least Normal - Hard - Insane - Your difficulty since the song is 2:34 long.

Ok so, with that in mind, even if you "fix" all those errors, your map won't get ranked.
Why? Fitting the ranking criteria rules and guidelines doesn't mean your map will get ranked. Your map has to also meet a quality standard, and that quality standard is decided by the Beatmap Nominator Group. People's first's maps rarely met those quality standards.

What should you do?
1. I recommend you to give up on this map, the song has some hard-to-get timing. Pick other song, I recommend a song that is around 180 BPM with no variable BPM.
2. Ok now that you have a song that's easy to time, learn how to time a map. I'm not good at explaining how to do it though. Here is the "official" osu! guide help/wiki/Guides/How_to_Time_Songs, it may be kinda outdated so here is a more recent alternative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauZuMPgiQw.
3. Find the song timing.
Once you've done all the previous steps, you can finally START to map. And this is when stuff starts to get hard to explain how to do. Mapping is like drawing, you can learn some stuff by studying guides and other people's maps, but you will never improve if you don't actually go and make your own maps. Still, there are some rules that everyone that wants its map to reach the ranked section follows: the ranking criteria.
help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria
help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!
Check both of the articles.
But as I said before, that's not the only requirement for the ranked section. Your map also needs a decent ammount of quality, and to learn how to improve that "quality" is no easy task. Even me, after 4 years of mapping, never got any of my maps in the ranked section.

Anyways, make a map (doesn't matter if it isn't full spread) with your best current ability and then poke me out so I can give you some tips to improve that map, just make sure the timing is correct.
Topic Starter
Kuruboi

Mister wrote:

Azary-san wrote:

Need to change something... for what? For reaching the ranked section? Well, the timing is completely wrong, the rhythm choice is a mess, the intensity of the map does not reflect the intensity of the song, there are no hitsounds, some objects are starting at the same time as slider ends, the mapset requires a spread of at least Normal - Hard - Insane - Your difficulty since the song is 2:34 long.

Ok so, with that in mind, even if you "fix" all those errors, your map won't get ranked.
Why? Fitting the ranking criteria rules and guidelines doesn't mean your map will get ranked. Your map has to also meet a quality standard, and that quality standard is decided by the Beatmap Nominator Group. People's first's maps rarely met those quality standards.

What should you do?
1. I recommend you to give up on this map, the song has some hard-to-get timing. Pick other song, I recommend a song that is around 180 BPM with no variable BPM.
2. Ok now that you have a song that's easy to time, learn how to time a map. I'm not good at explaining how to do it though. Here is the "official" osu! guide help/wiki/Guides/How_to_Time_Songs, it may be kinda outdated so here is a more recent alternative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauZuMPgiQw.
3. Find the song timing.
Once you've done all the previous steps, you can finally START to map. And this is when stuff starts to get hard to explain how to do. Mapping is like drawing, you can learn some stuff by studying guides and other people's maps, but you will never improve if you don't actually go and make your own maps. Still, there are some rules that everyone that wants its map to reach the ranked section follows: the ranking criteria.
help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria
help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!
Check both of the articles.
But as I said before, that's not the only requirement for the ranked section. Your map also needs a decent ammount of quality, and to learn how to improve that "quality" is no easy task. Even me, after 4 years of mapping, never got any of my maps in the ranked section.

Anyways, make a map (doesn't matter if it isn't full spread) with your best current ability and then poke me out so I can give you some tips to improve that map, just make sure the timing is correct.

Thank you for your advice, but i recently quit osu! Anyways maybe I will need it sometime :)
Mister
oh, ok!
Topic Starter
Kuruboi

Mister wrote:

oh, ok!
I just returned to osu. I tried to map a new map but Im completely lost at timing bpm. I have no idea if its correct
beatmapsets/1173100#osu/2446619 heres the map
RickyZanders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL3az8FhlB4&list=PLp7-THR1EUHERrIOV4dGClCGGoLIrQtOx

Pishifat is well known in the osu mapping community for giving mappers a basic idea of how to map.
Take notes, and make friends with someone who's been mapping for a while and has songs on ranked so you can ask questions here and there.

Don't be afraid to go over mods on other WIP maps to see what does and doesn't matter when creating a map.

It's a good baseline.