forum

What's the difference with old and new "style" ???

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Corne2Plum3
Hello, I've made a map (beatmapsets/1136696#osu/2375910) ready to be ranked. I've added this map in modding queue, and some moders say I've a old style, a style of "2008".

But I don't know what's the difference between old and new style, and how to make a modern style.

Can you help me please?
Hydreigon
When people say your map has an old style it means its like a very old map, example of these old styles would be probably pointy sliders, out distanced circle combos, misplaced sliders and circles, and probably some other stuff that isn't really in the modern mapping techniques. Or just play some older maps then you would probably see why there saying you have an old style.
Meanwhile most modern maps have some familiar mapping techniques that can be playable.
I see that you already have mods in your map, just follow what the mods say so they can help you “modernize” your map.
Asphiee
Play 2008-2010 maps (I recommend Dangaard, DJPop, yeahyeahyeahhh, James, forgot about everyone)
then compare it to 2014-2020 maps. I love playing the old maps since its not stressing, you just have to play. While modern maps follows the music's whole vibe. And there's more concepts and ideas that are put into the map.

It wouldn't hurt to map with the old style since there are people like me that just loves it. But if you want to get more recognition and become successful in the mapping industry I suggest, studying the modern mapping ways. Then you could just alternate your style depending on the song. Look at this map : beatmapsets/1072135#osu/2244053

This is just recently ranked but what I admire the most in this mapper is that he just doesn't seem to care what's the trend right now. He's using the old style and there's less people who actually likes it but doesn't really matter as long as there's someone who can appreciate this kind of mapping in this modern age.

Big shoutout to TheShadowOfDark <3 <3
Dialect
i think you'd make a nice old mapper ngl. i'd say take the mods into consideration, but don't change your whole style because of those mods. you're still representing the music, although you may need to improve a bit.
abraker

Asphyre wrote:

IBut if you want to get more recognition and become successful in the mapping industry I suggest, studying the modern mapping ways.

The fact this sentence exists is appalling, mainly the use of "recognition", "successful", and "mapping industry" in one sentence. It's as if ranking a map is more career oriented than having fun on free time. It invokes dystopian imagery of mappers pumping out maps on conveyor belts where BNs/modders stand on the side to either rubber stamp them with their approval or shove them to the incinerator. The idea of there being a committee that has a final say on whether a map is good or not is horrible. How successful a map is should come from the entire community of players by playing the map, not people with specialization judging the map.

Mapping should be less about recognition and success and more about having a good time.
Dialect

abraker wrote:

Asphyre wrote:

IBut if you want to get more recognition and become successful in the mapping industry I suggest, studying the modern mapping ways.

The fact this sentence exists is appalling, mainly the use of "recognition", "successful", and "mapping industry" in one sentence. It's as if ranking a map is more career oriented than having fun on free time. It invokes dystopian imagery of mappers pumping out maps on conveyor belts where BNs/modders stand on the side to either rubber stamp them with their approval or shove them to the incinerator. The idea of there being a committee that has a final say on whether a map is good or not is horrible. How successful a map is should come from the entire community of players by playing the map, not people with specialization judging the map.

Mapping should be less about recognition and success and more about having a good time.

actually, i agree and disagree. loved exists solely for the purpose of "not rankable, but loved by the community." bns and qat should have a final say in whether a map is good or not. maps that are "bad" (like shite and rendezvous) are actually good maps with good concepts. bns and qat will find meaning within those maps, and push it towards ranked. but i really have to agree when you said that op should change their mapping style. go ahead and tell that to djpop, gens, gero, andrea, etc etc, because they don't have modern mapping styles yet their maps still get ranked. maps don't need to have a certain style to get ranked; they need to have good concepts and design elements, whilst representing the music. and yeah, people should have a fun time mapping, but if they're pushing that map towards ranked, they have to take that seriously.
abraker

MinNin wrote:

bns and qat will find meaning within those maps, and push it towards ranked... and yeah, people should have a fun time mapping, but if they're pushing that map towards ranked, they have to take that seriously.
The fact you need to take mapping seriously to get something ranked is ridiculous. The fact that you need to search for meaning in maps to find worth in them is ridiculous. Maps are made for osu!, a game first and foremost, and ranked is ranked because it has pp, making it geared toward performance based competitive play. Instead of focusing on whether maps offer players fun and adequate competitive play, it instead focuses on whether or not maps have concepts that make sense in its mapping.

As a player, who cares about how it's mapped? Does it offer anything to improve my skill or has patterns of interest? Yes? Then great, I'll play it, improve my score on it, try to get higher pp, and try to climb the map's leaderboards. No? Well then the map is not for me, but maybe for someone else. And don't confuse this with loved because this is about why there is pp in ranked. The way maps are ranked shows me they are not processed for ranked with players in mind, but rather what modder and BN think is mapping perfection. If maps are ranked because of focus on "quality" structure and patterns so much more than focus on offering players something worth climbing the ranks on, then why the hell do ranked maps have pp?
Dialect

abraker wrote:

As a player, who cares about how it's mapped? Does it offer anything to improve my skill or has patterns of interest? Yes? Then great, I'll play it, improve my score on it, try to get higher pp, and try to climb the map's leaderboards. No? Well then the map is not for me, but maybe for someone else. And don't confuse this with loved because this is about why there is pp in ranked. The way maps are ranked shows me they are not processed for ranked with players in mind, but rather what modder and BN think is mapping perfection. If maps are ranked because of focus on "quality" structure and patterns so much more than focus on offering players something worth climbing the ranks on, then why the hell do ranked maps have pp?

i'm going to be honest, i feel like the player and mapping community are divided in some ways. what you guys consider rankable is complete garbage to us. this is part of the reason scores get deleted when maps get ranked. players would bitch about how "omg my 500pp score" when the map had major problems. at the end of the day, maps shouldn't just be a mess of objects and 1 - 2 jumps spammed on screen. there needs to be meaning behind every object. you players won't get it, but there's more logic to mapping than you think. i'm not really good at the game to begin with, mainly because i focus more on mapping.
abraker

MinNin wrote:

there needs to be meaning behind every object. you players won't get it, but there's more logic to mapping than you think.

Speaking for myself here. I know what mapping community is aiming for. I know for you it's important how each hitobject is placed in such a way it makes sense to rest of the map's structure. It's not that I don't get it, it's just as a player I just can't care less about that. Who is ranked for? The players to compete against each other in leaderboards and pp? The mappers to create maps for recognition? The BN/NAT and modders to define what they think ranked should be?

To be fair idk what player would want to play a map with notes placed around randomly, a map with some disproportionate diff spike, or a map that trolls or creates a headache for the player in some way. A mess of objects and 1 - 2 jumps spammed on screen may or may not be a mess depending on who you ask. I know there are people who think their weird 8 star disaster is the greatest thing ever, and would believe it's ok as is. Yes, good for BNs for preventing such stuff going into rank. I realize it's hard to draw a line between an actual shit map and a challenging non shit map at times, and players can give polarizing opinions in many of such cases, but it's disappointing that I don't see BN make such decisions with players in mind.

Instead of thinking what the map can offer or be detrimental to the players most decisions I see come down to whether to stuff like whether hitsounds makes sense, a pattern is consist with the structure, or some other lesser noticeable thing during gameplay. The the map gets rejected from ranking solely based on some relatively insignificant like that, especially when the mapper affirms that it's not a mistake. So who is ranked for?
Asphiee

abraker wrote:

Asphyre wrote:

Nice, couldn't put it into words well since I'm not really native speaker. So my statement contradicted to what I really felt. I stand corrected. I apologize.