forum

Photoshop trouble, a white outlining that wont go away!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nilsso
Hey.
Have some problems with numberdesigns getting an white outline on the edges. Ive tried to copy the numbers from a black background with a white base, and adding a black stroke afterwards. It does not seem to be a bad selection cutout, it seems to be something with the saving maybe? Ive even tried to create a separate layer and coloring the black in myself, still this damn white outlining.

As u can see in the following picture:

The outlining occurs in between there.

Any idea how to get rid of this?

Thanks.
MLGnom
Some time ago, one person ask me to help with the same problem. I'm pretty sure it must be something with .png saving options since in GIMP one way was to disable "Save background colour" but that doesn't cleared all white pixels. Other way I just copied picture into new file which fixed problem.

So, check png options because I'm sure that must be something with transparency (somehow it still keeps colour value) and also try coping it over new file because file might be somehow corrupted.
ziin
Fill the background with black. Make sure you save the values of transparent colors. If you remove the alpha channel by just increasing the transparency you should be able to see what it actually looks like.

something like truepng will automatically fill in transparent pixels with black if you want, as will cryopng.

You can also post the image and I'll show you what it looks like to osu. This is a problem with directx more than anything. It doesn't include alpha in its resizing interpolations. I brought it up with peppy, but there's not much he can do to fix it.
Topic Starter
Nilsso

MLGnom wrote:

Some time ago, one person ask me to help with the same problem. I'm pretty sure it must be something with .png saving options since in GIMP one way was to disable "Save background colour" but that doesn't cleared all white pixels. Other way I just copied picture into new file which fixed problem.

So, check png options because I'm sure that must be something with transparency (somehow it still keeps colour value) and also try coping it over new file because file might be somehow corrupted.
Tried copying into a new file, didnt work. Where are the PNG options? The only options I see is the "interlaced" and "none" choice I get when I save the file.

I might have found a solution: Creating what I want in a much higher resolution, then lowering the images-size to whatever I want it to be, AND NOT DOING ANYTHING WITH IT. It might been that working with such a low resolution picture alters the outcome. Any thoughts? It seems to have worked for atleast one of the layers. Will report back later when I render all the others...

ziin wrote:

Fill the background with black. Make sure you save the values of transparent colors. If you remove the alpha channel by just increasing the transparency you should be able to see what it actually looks like.

something like truepng will automatically fill in transparent pixels with black if you want, as will cryopng.

You can also post the image and I'll show you what it looks like to osu. This is a problem with directx more than anything. It doesn't include alpha in its resizing interpolations. I brought it up with peppy, but there's not much he can do to fix it.
Black background does not work, png does not have the support of alpha channels? Is that why it doesnt work? Is it a problem with osu? Direct the big one here? Anyway, read the above.
ziin
png supports alpha channels, but you've got white pixels in there. like #FFFFFF00 would be a fully transparent white pixel, but osu would read #FFFFFF00 and #000000FF and ignore the alpha channel, leaving a 50% transparent gray color at #80808080 or something like that.

That's why I'd like to see one of your images.
Topic Starter
Nilsso

ziin wrote:

png supports alpha channels, but you've got white pixels in there. like #FFFFFF00 would be a fully transparent white pixel, but osu would read #FFFFFF00 and #000000FF and ignore the alpha channel, leaving a 50% transparent gray color at #80808080 or something like that.

That's why I'd like to see one of your images.
I see, thats unfortunate.
My picture is up top (of the white lines inbetween there in the number 3), or do u mean something els?
MLGnom
Upload the file for us so we can test it.
Uncle Buly
I also have this issue if I don't use an outer glow or something like that, I use Abobe Photoshop CS6, I don't know if that causes this, but I remember being able to produce images without the white glow.
Topic Starter
Nilsso

MLGnom wrote:

Upload the file for us so we can test it.
http://puu.sh/1qVt5

Thats the Psd file, if that is what u ment.
ziin
No, I wanted the png. I don't have $1000 to spare to fully support a proprietary format.

This is your actual image is, as far as I can recreate it.

This is what your image looks like without transparency.

You need to paint over the transparency with black, but don't overwrite the alpha channel. In gimp, I can turn off that channel so I don't overwrite anything.