forum

[Taiko, Rule] Finishers in Oni

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Stefan
Finisher notes for 1/4 patterns in this difficulty must only be used at the end of that pattern. Placements other than this can disturb the readability for the audience at this level.

tl;dr change this rule to a guideline.

This would be a great guideline, and is a too restrictive rule. Allowing it to be a guideline gives the leniency when it's appropriate and literally everyone with a small portion of sense for this game and its mechanics will understand it doesn't make sense for low BPM tracks - being around 140 - to follow something that is obviously made for average to high BPM tracks. I'm very sure that nominators are responsible-minded to understand when it's correct to give this regulation an exception and when not.

beatmapsets/1140186 in the Oni difficulty at 00:43:823 (178,179) - is clearly playable for an Oni difficulty.

Yes, I have made this proposal in reaction to a mod to my map that refers to this rule but the idea to have this regulation as a rule is too much and unflexible.
Vulkin
Personally I would prefer to just limit the guideline to patterns that are 3 or longer, leaving doublets fine, and then leaving anything is around 120 and below exempt of it.

That way, we don't strain players too much with the finisher usage.
DeletedUser_6637817
Oni players are just getting used to alternating BPMs of around 180... I would not really trust any Oni player to be able to pull off even 150 BPM 1/4 finisher doubles, these require a really really high level of precision in terms of finger coordination to make sure you dont accidentally trigger the 2nd finishers hitbox while youre hitting the 1st.

And those 150 bpm finisher doublets would also equate a 300 BPM 1/2 finisher burst, which would instantly throw out DD or KK as an option.

I currently do not see a reason to loosen this rule when you can go around it via the BPM clause that is universal the RC. One could start giving the OK on finishers in 1/4 at around 120 BPM, given that it is abundantly clear by the map that it is mapped in double BPM style (so the finishers look 1/2 on 240 bpm and play like it too).
Topic Starter
Stefan
So basically there is a limit, set by the BPM when you can apply finisher doublets for an oni difficulty. And the rule can be broken like a guideline because of the BPM.

??
Vulkin
Pretty much, if you scale the BPM correctly that is.

Should be consistent throughout the spread though, wouldn't make sense to have a double BPM Muzukashii while the rest is regular BPM.

Technically you're not breaking rules, just bending the mapset to comply. Example would be one of Skylish's map that was like BPM90, or Ulqui's Wavetapper.
clayton
OnosakiHito
Found this through the Mappers' report. According to the link clayton posted, as well as what Vulkin and Nepuri said, the proposal becomes obsolete. The lower the BPM, the more freedom you have to act out of the ordinary rules / guidelines. So I guess you can mark this as solved?
pishifat

OnosakiHito wrote:

Found this through the Mappers' report. According to the link clayton posted, as well as what Vulkin and Nepuri said, the proposal becomes obsolete. The lower the BPM, the more freedom you have to act out of the ordinary rules / guidelines. So I guess you can mark this as solved?
this sums up what i think about the topic. modders need to apply scaling to interpret the rule since it will always be dependent on bpm