forum

Beatmap file too large

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hurrikate
Whenever I try to upload the file it says something like "beatmap file size too large"
It is a 17 minute song, the background image is 1366x768, and the bitrate of the audio is set to 192kbs.
lewski
max upload filesize scales with the length of the map so map a larger portion of the song
im_herv

Change the bitrate

Use an external program to decrease the bitrate of the music to 128kbps, if it is not possible, decrease it to 96kbps, the difference is almost 25% of the original file size, if the problem continues try to decrease it to 64kbps.

Note: If the music has a lot of bass, the difference in audio quality will be noticeable.
lewski
it's not about bass at all, in mp3s the highest frequencies are cut out and the cutoff gets lower and lower as the bitrate goes down. 64kbps will absolutely butcher most songs dont do that lmao
Nyxa
You must be high to suggest decreasing bitrate to 64kbps.

I don't know why they removed the 128kbps min limit, but even 128 is barely acceptable. 64 is just hitting the bong tier.

To the OP: does renaming your diff to Marathon allow you to upload it? That's how it used to work anyway. I've uploaded a 53 minute song that way one time.
Topic Starter
hurrikate

Nyxa wrote:

You must be high to suggest decreasing bitrate to 64kbps.

I don't know why they removed the 128kbps min limit, but even 128 is barely acceptable. 64 is just hitting the bong tier.

To the OP: does renaming your diff to Marathon allow you to upload it? That's how it used to work anyway. I've uploaded a 53 minute song that way one time.

It isn't a marathon it's one song so renaming it wouldn't be right
Edit: I haven't even mapped that much i just want to upload as a WIP
Zelzatter Zero

hurrikate wrote:

osu! has a weird naming mechanic that when a filesize is really large (>30mb), if you name anything without including "Marathon" then osu! will warn you about filesize being too large, while doing otherwise works. This map is like 8 mins but because of the filesize so it has to named "Marathon" too, I think a 17 min map has no problem with this.
Topic Starter
hurrikate

Uraomote Error wrote:

hurrikate wrote:

osu! has a weird naming mechanic that when a filesize is really large (>30mb), if you name anything without including "Marathon" then osu! will warn you about filesize being too large, while doing otherwise works. This map is like 8 mins but because of the filesize so it has to named "Marathon" too, I think a 17 min map has no problem with this.

Ok I'll try gimme two seconds....
Ok yeah it still says the file is too big
caps

wiki wrote:

The file size limit is 5MB plus an additional 10MB for every minute of beatmap length, and it caps at 100MB.

and since 17 mins. of song at 192 kbps is around 25 MBs, you should map at least 2 minutes to be able to submit your map

at the 3 minute mark, you shouldn't have to worry about your background file's size unless it's more than 2.5 MBs, which is unrankable

link to wiki page