forum

[Proposal (Osu Standard)] Intuitive Reverse Arrow Movement?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360
Proposal: Adding a Rule
A reverse arrow should point to the direction the slider-ball will go after hitting the reverse. If a slider overlaps itself, it should move off of itself enough to tell that it is an overlap and the reverse should be facing where a player will intuitively go when following the slider (disregarding slider leniency).

This should be added to the ranking criteria to prevent unreadable reverses or sliders that point reverses where they shouldn't go.

Okay Example

Not Okay Example

Proposal applies to Standard --> Overall section of the ranking criteria.
pishifat
do any ranked maps (or maps headed for rank) do the "not okay example"?
abraker
because op doesn't know how to upload images or use image tags properly...

Okay Example

Not Okay Example
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360

pishifat wrote:

do any ranked maps (or maps headed for rank) do the "not okay example"?

This map does.

its a new mapper's map, but I think it would help guide new mappers about how to make slider shapes.
Nao Tomori
honestly i could have sworn this was covered in a rc rule somewhere or another
xenal

Nao Tomori wrote:

I would assume this is covered by "Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end." This is supposed to disallow a slider body to go back to perfectly overlaps itself. Because reverse arrow facing the wrong way implies the slider goes back on himself, even if it's for a very very short moment, my opinion is that this rule applies.

Imo there is no needs to add a rule if it is only to guide new mappers because new mappers shouldn't be experimenting with this complex slider mechanics so early in their mapping in the first place. No ranked maps does it, so they also shouldn't be guided to think this is a normal thing as well.
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360

xenal wrote:

Nao Tomori wrote:

I would assume this is covered by "Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end." This is supposed to disallow a slider body to go back to perfectly overlaps itself. Because reverse arrow facing the wrong way implies the slider goes back on himself, even if it's for a very very short moment, my opinion is that this rule applies.

Imo there is no needs to add a rule if it is only to guide new mappers because new mappers shouldn't be experimenting with this complex slider mechanics so early in their mapping in the first place. No ranked maps does it, so they also shouldn't be guided to think this is a normal thing as well.

I feel like it should be an rc edit to the rule you mentioned then because technically the not okay example is readable, it just flips the reverse arrow.
abraker
xenal, "Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end." does not mention anything about reverse arrow, just the path the slider takes. Even if you argue reverse arrow is part of the path, that wouldn't work. Reverse arrow is indicates direction of path and it is located on the path, but it is not the path.

Even if the reverse arrow is pointing in the wrong direction, the path is still technically clear and visible because a veteran player should know that the presence of an arrow indicates a reversal of direction. It's unexpected that it is pointing in the wrong way, but it can't indicate anything else. It's a reading gimick that works according to current ranking criteria.
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360

abraker wrote:

...Even if the reverse arrow is pointing in the wrong direction, the path is still technically clear and visible because a veteran player should know that the presence of an arrow indicates a reversal of direction. It's unexpected that it is pointing in the wrong way, but it can't indicate anything else. It's a reading gimick that works according to current ranking criteria.

Going on this logic I think this should be a rule for lower diffs (Easy, Normal, Hard) because it should be facing where the cursor goes.

It could also be a guideline for Insane and Experts.
clayton
looks good to me if it's not covered already
xenal
Apparently because people can't use the common sense rule anymore I guess you can throw that rule in.

RC wrote:

The slider reverses arrow must point in the direction where the slider ball will head. Manipulating sliders to obtain a slider reverse arrow pointing in the different direction than the intended one should not be used. Don't be firetrucking dumb.
abraker

xenal wrote:

RC wrote:

The slider reverses arrow must point in the direction where the slider ball will head. Manipulating sliders to obtain a slider reverse arrow pointing in the different direction than the intended one should not be used. Don't be firetrucking dumb.

I argue that it would still be allowed under this RC. At the very instant the slider ball reaches the end of the slider it can still be considered to be going in that direction. Yay for discontinuities!

But honestly I like OsuMagic360's proposal best
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360

abraker wrote:

xenal wrote:

RC wrote:

I argue that it would still be allowed under this RC. At the very instant the slider ball reaches the end of the slider it can still be considered to be going in that direction. Yay for discontinuities!

I imagine the rule could be something like
"The slider reverses arrow must point in the direction where the slider ball will head. A slider must travel in the reverse arrow's direction for at least 1/4 of a beat. Manipulating sliders to obtain a slider reverse arrow pointing in the different direction than the intended one should not be used."

You could also turn 1/4 to 1/8 or make different difficulty guidelenes per difficulty (1/1 for easies and normals, 1/2 for hards, 1/4 for insanes, and 1/8 for extras and higher.)[/quote]
abraker
How will that work with kick sliders?
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360

abraker wrote:

How will that work with kick sliders?

Make slider arrows point eachother (or at least roughly towards eachother). It makes the most sense to me.
honne
Sliders aren't intended to have their arrows manipulated to go in the opposite direction, and if anything there's a reason why it's not seen on ranked mapsets. This is something anyone should know not to do if they were mapping for rank, it's kind of a gimmicky thing you'll see on maps that are intending to break the following rule

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Do not edit the .osu file to modify difficulty settings or insert break times in ways that are unintended for each respective game mode. Other .osu file edits such as stack leniency, slider velocity, and skinning settings are acceptable.

This kind of clear explanation on the topic at hand would be good.

The only thing to briefly touch on this without actually mentioning it was the rule mentioning "Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end".

I think it'd be a good call to add a separate rule about using slider nodes incorrectly/inappropriately. There's no clarity on this specific matter and it has been done before in cases with just nodes which is a whole different can of beans to open.
pishifat

OsuMagic360 wrote:

I imagine the rule could be something like
"The slider reverses arrow must point in the direction where the slider ball will head. A slider must travel in the reverse arrow's direction for at least 1/4 of a beat. Manipulating sliders to obtain a slider reverse arrow pointing in the different direction than the intended one should not be used."
[/quote]

first part wouldn't work because what's visible depends on slider velocity

second part more usable despite being more vague. could say this:
The section of a slider's body before the reverse arrow must have a clearly visible slider track.

this means the most stupid u can do is https://i.imgur.com/mjLxNFb.png (which doesnt look good so why would people do it?)

this also sounds stupid so i want more suggestions
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360
first part wouldn't work because what's visible depends on slider velocity...second part more usable despite being more vague. could say this:
The section of a slider's body before the reverse arrow must have a clearly visible slider track.

this means the most stupid u can do is https://i.imgur.com/mjLxNFb.png (which doesnt look good so why would people do it?)

this also sounds stupid so i want more suggestions[/quote]

First Part: Counteracting the most stupid and basing it on SV, you could say A reverse arrow must be at least 1/4 of the length that the first part of the slider is and must not directly overlap. (this correlates with RC "Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end. Sliders that overlap themselves without straightforward slider borders and sliders whose individual sections are unreadable cannot be used."

Second Part is fine

Revised Rule: A reverse arrow must be at least 1/4 of the length that the first part of the slider if the first part of the slider is 1/4 or slower and be at least 1/2 of the length if the first part is 1/6 and faster and must not directly overlap. The section of a slider's body before the reverse arrow must have a clearly visible slider track.

*Note that this is based on 180 BPM like the rest of the Ranking Criteria.

If anyone would like to revise this than please do so.
clayton
this stuff about timing is way too specific for a rule
Topic Starter
OsuMagic360

clayton wrote:

this stuff about timing is way too specific for a rule

I guess it could be changed to a guideline if the word must was changed to should.
show more