forum

Display reason of banned instead of showing nothing [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +10
Topic Starter
haha5957
What I mean by this : Currently we don't know how someone got banned. Please don't say "banned ppl are banned ppl"thingy, you won't be able to say that if someone used to be your close friend in osu!. Anyways, Instead of just deleting the profile, just leave Appropriate reason below(I sometimes see "banned permanently-blanket cheating action"thingy. i want it little bit more specified but still much better then facing that user doesnt exsist page)

In my opinion banning someone without anyone noticing(especially when they are famous enough, like recently banned tom)araises community conflict, and distrust toward admins of osu!, and I don't think it's a good thing to happen.

I know decent people would not think like this, but some people thinks peppy bans just because he wants without any reason and thus thinks osu! admins totally sucks. although I do know peppy has a reason for banning, and I know peppy isn't dumb like that, but even myself sometimes wonders about the reason on banning. I know tom is banned, and saw a post saying "doubt on tom.." thingy, but then the post went to AW and Now I have no clue why he got banned(although I think it's something due to hack or whatever.)

I once wondered why moneto got banned, so I did search on it but I ended up facing Wasteland, which i couldn't see(and I still don't know the exact reason why he got banned, etc)and after all I think it's better to preserve their account saying the got banned, to prevent furthur cheating actions(If you see bunch of vanned accounts due to cheat, you are less likely to cheat imo)

tl;dr for example, If someone got banned due to flashlight hack, write "flashlight cheat" on reason with permanent ban. If it's about multi account, then write that too. In case this increases too much work, maybe saying "multi" or "blanket cheating action(like some of accounts are)" should work. What I'm saying is that lets allow us view banned user's page with the reason why he/she got banned.
xann_old
Full support!
It'd also save the trouble of asking around for information, I don't see what he has to lose by showing banned people/reason anyway. :roll:
MillhioreF
I very much support this. Heck, I'd be okay with a compromise too, like a blank page just displaying "This user has been banned for the following reason: *reason*"

Or failing this, even just a page saying "This user has been banned!" would be better than "user not found".
TKiller
i want it little bit more specified but still much better then facing that user doesnt exsist page
While user himself might not want it specified.

distrust toward admins of osu!
Harshly said, noone needs you or someone else to believe into a group of people enforcing a set of really simple and fair local rules. Noone gets banned permanently without a reason. Misplaced ban cases get processed pretty quickly upon user's request.

In fact, leaving a stated reason won't make disbelievers suddenly change their mind.

prevent furthur cheating
"Cheating gets you banned" is already an obvious enough matter.

Leaving other people's business to themself is a good thing.
Topic Starter
haha5957

TKiller wrote:

i want it little bit more specified but still much better then facing that user doesnt exsist page
While user himself might not want it specified.

distrust toward admins of osu!
Harshly said, noone needs you or someone else to believe into a group of people enforcing a set of really simple and fair local rules. Noone gets banned permanently without a reason. Misplaced ban cases get processed pretty quickly upon user's request.

In fact, leaving a stated reason won't make disbelievers suddenly change their mind.

prevent furthur cheating
"Cheating gets you banned" is already an obvious enough matter.

Leaving other people's business to themself is a good thing.
While the user doesn't want?? how's that so important? If someone got famous due to his/her cheating, he/she deserves it. Moneto is still kinda hero among korean users because his reason of banning is unknown for pretty much most of us. Most of people thinks he got banned due to multiaccount, while I don't think so.

and "This is very simple thing so we don't need belief blah"makes no sense at all. If you graduated elementry school properly you should know that by now. Noone knows if they would change their mind or not, and "ok they wont change their mind so i wouldn't explain anything, " is just plain wrong. Running a game with 300000 active user isn't that simple. I've ran a 70 active user game before and speficing reason for ban helped me a lot on users trust toward me and decrease of cheating attempt.

Your statements looks just so Kim-jung-Ill'ish. With your attitude, government shouldn't tell us anything cuz doing so doesn't make the country any better.
Kurokami
I support but you need to understand something. They don't need to tell you or to someone else why they ban someone. If they did it then it must have a very good and clear reason (mostly cheating).

Also, multiacc, if I know right, only worth for permaban, nothing more.
Topic Starter
haha5957

Kurokami wrote:

I support but you need to understand something. They don't need to tell you or to someone else why they ban someone. If they did it then it must have a very good and clear reason (mostly cheating).

Also, multiacc, if I know right, only worth for permaban, nothing more.
Like i said I know they do have clear reason - but some people, especially who aren't very active in fourms thinks in negetive way like i mention in OP. I know they don't NEED to tell us - but i think it's better for both admins(gets more trust) and us(no extra work on asking why/no need to be curious about)
Kurokami

haha5957 wrote:

... but some people, especially who aren't very active in fourms thinks in negetive way like i mention in OP...
You can't change how peoples thinking with this way. If they not believe noone be banned w/o a reason then they will not believe even after read specific person's page. Maybe this was worked with 70 ppl but with 300000+? o.o Non-believers will always exist just as cheaters.
peppy
I used to show banned users, but this caused even more uprising, and also gave the user more attention than I think they deserve. Showing a profile with their ban reason will not stop people from thinking I ban without reason; this will always be the case. I don't see any reason to give cheaters the extra exposure.

That said, I am happy to updated the message you see when visiting a user profile that doesn't exist.
Ephemeral

haha5957 wrote:

While the user doesn't want?? how's that so important? If someone got famous due to his/her cheating, he/she deserves it.
Not at all.

We're not going to venerate cheaters by giving them a special label displaying how they cheated for the world to see. They cheat to seek attention - do you see how counterproductive this would be?
Vish024
This would only advertise cheaters while encouraging others to cheat. No go.
Topic Starter
haha5957
Ok then, I cannot oppose experiance :)

and Thanks for the userpage message change, looks much better now
MillhioreF
Okay, Ephemeral's post made me change my mind, that makes a lot of sense... and the new "user not found" page is a whole lot better now, so this request still did some good after all!
riskyr
Peppy please add a deactivate or delete account to settings please.. hehehe :D :D

P.S : don't ban me for this :3 ;) :oops:
Oinari-sama
Don't bump a completed topic unless you have VERY good reason :/