forum

Slider velocity spike after BPM changed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EchoRoblox
Hi, for your information, this is the first time I map a song, so I'm not good at mapping, for you mapping experts, could you help me out to solve this weird "slider velocity" spike after BPM changed from 85 to 186, tell me how that happened and what's the solution, thanks!

Oh, btw, here's the map link: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1114181#mania/2327527
lewski
tl;dr: slider velocity scales with bpm so you need a green line with a slider velocity multiplier of 0.457 in the 186bpm part

The slider velocity values you see in the editor don't refer to the actual speed of the sliderball in Standard or the scroll speed in Taiko and Mania. Instead, two sliders with the same length in pixels and the same slider velocity will always cover the same ticks on the timeline.

For example, a slider that's one beat long with a velocity of 2.0 will always be this long:

Here's the same slider but I tripled the bpm:

If you want the scroll speed to be the same through tempo changes, you'll need to put an inherited timing point on the timing point that changes the bpm, and change the slider velocity multiplier. You'll get the multiplier you need by dividing the old bpm with the new one. If you divide 85 by 186 with a calculator, you'll get something like 0.45698924731, but you don't need that kind of precision. Rounding it to 0.457 should be fine. If you can still feel a change, increase the number of decimals as much as you need. Note that after you enter the number, you'll only see "0.46" as the multiplier, but the decimals you entered will still be there.